CycleBanter.com

-   -   How long should pedals last? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255644)

SMS March 19th 18 08:46 PM

How long should pedals last?

Yesterday one of the pedals on my road bike started making noise. By the
end of the ride there was a large amount of play on the pedal axle. I
was waiting for the whole thing to disintegrate but I made it home.

I ordered some new MKS pedals this morning, but I'm wondering what kind
of mileage I should get out of a set of pedals. These are the original
pedals that came with my Specialized Sirrus. They are plaform pedals,
since I prefer toe-clips to SPD.

Also breaking yesterday was my Nashbar floor pump, after fixing a flat
on my wife's bicycle (and the glue in my REMA patch kit was dried up)
the check valve was flaky and the handle also kept coming out of the
tube section. Pumped up the tires with my old Zefal HPX. Ordered a new
pump along with the pedals.

Ate lunch in Shallow Alto where Apple was having some Apple Pay
promotion at a bunch of stores and restaurants, but of course couldn't
get the lunch deal with my Android phone. This was iDiscrimination.

Came home and there had been a power failure and my Internet was down
because the UPS had blown.

[email protected] March 19th 18 08:51 PM

How long should pedals last?

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 3:46:05 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

My Campag NR pedals are still serviceable after over 40 years. My SPDs are showing a bit of wear after 6 years.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Joerg[_2_] March 19th 18 09:43 PM

How long should pedals last?

On 2018-03-19 12:46, sms wrote:
Yesterday one of the pedals on my road bike started making noise. By the
end of the ride there was a large amount of play on the pedal axle. I
was waiting for the whole thing to disintegrate but I made it home.

I ordered some new MKS pedals this morning, but I'm wondering what kind
of mileage I should get out of a set of pedals. These are the original
pedals that came with my Specialized Sirrus. They are plaform pedals,
since I prefer toe-clips to SPD.

I get around 5000mi out of pedals and it doesn't seem to matter much
what their price was. Then the bearings are gone. Similar with bottom
brackets. I have always lived in or near hilly terrain which probably
doesn't help.

My preferences are big MTB pedals, both on the MTB and on the road bike.
No clips of any kind.

Also breaking yesterday was my Nashbar floor pump, after fixing a flat
on my wife's bicycle (and the glue in my REMA patch kit was dried up)
the check valve was flaky and the handle also kept coming out of the
tube section. Pumped up the tires with my old Zefal HPX. Ordered a new
pump along with the pedals.

Ate lunch in Shallow Alto where Apple was having some Apple Pay
promotion at a bunch of stores and restaurants, but of course couldn't
get the lunch deal with my Android phone. This was iDiscrimination.

I would have left and made sure to let them know why.

Came home and there had been a power failure and my Internet was down
because the UPS had blown.

Look at the bright side: It didn't cause a carpet fire.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

JBeattie March 19th 18 11:14 PM

How long should pedals last?

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 12:46:05 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

Platforms? Infinite depending on the pedal. I've still got Campy track pedals from the '70s. The four cyclists of the apocalypse will ride in on those things. They last forever like Andrew C. said.

Some of the MKS available at my LBS are pretty robust and others are not. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=1671

The meth-heads left a pair of the MKS Prime Sylvan Touring pedals on my stolen Roubaix. The seals look pretty good, but the bearings and races are undoubtedly cheap. They'll get swapped off the bike once my son gets out of his ortho-boots (the Roubaix is his trainer bike), so I'll never know how long they might last in the wild. I'd guess a couple of years of daily commuting, depending on how often I greased the bearings. I would not expect them to break outright, i.e. snap at the spindle.

Also, most floor pumps are fixable. You just buy a new valve if necessary or fix the old one -- and same with pedals unless the bearings are shot or it uses a failed plastic threaded insert. But most cheap pedals use the old cone/washer/locknut design. http://sheldonbrown.com/images/pedal...ngIMG_5673.JPG

If your pedals got sloppy, it might just be a loose locknut -- unless they use a single bearing with an end bushing and some crappy threaded plastic piece that gave up.

I have an old Performance Hurricane floor pump with an after-market gauge, hose, and head. It's my favorite pump.

-- Jay Beattie.

James[_8_] March 20th 18 01:33 AM

How long should pedals last?

On 20/03/18 07:43, Joerg wrote:

I get around 5000mi out of pedals and it doesn't seem to matter much
what their price was. Then the bearings are gone. Similar with bottom
brackets. I have always lived in or near hilly terrain which probably
doesn't help.

My preferences are big MTB pedals, both on the MTB and on the road bike.
No clips of any kind.

My Look Keo 2 Max pedals have done probably 50,000km. I think they are
about stuffed. $100 - $150 a pair. I ride plenty of hills and I don't
have little gears. I have inspected the internals once or twice. The
grease is always as new. IOW the seals have not let anything of note pass.

Maybe it is your mountain lions that kill pedals?

Too bad they are not big platform MTB pedals.

--
JS

AMuzi March 20th 18 01:49 AM

How long should pedals last?

On 3/19/2018 7:33 PM, James wrote:
On 20/03/18 07:43, Joerg wrote:

I get around 5000mi out of pedals and it doesn't seem to
matter much what their price was. Then the bearings are
gone. Similar with bottom brackets. I have always lived in
or near hilly terrain which probably doesn't help.

My preferences are big MTB pedals, both on the MTB and on
the road bike. No clips of any kind.

My Look Keo 2 Max pedals have done probably 50,000km. I
think they are about stuffed. $100 - $150 a pair. I ride
plenty of hills and I don't have little gears. I have
inspected the internals once or twice. The grease is always
as new. IOW the seals have not let anything of note pass.

Maybe it is your mountain lions that kill pedals?

Too bad they are not big platform MTB pedals.

Similar quality but larger bearings in platform pedals are a
standard product:

https://www.sram.com/truvativ/produc...apwi1egi9g4z71

Hey Joerg I can mail them to you in the morning!

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Frank Krygowski[_4_] March 20th 18 04:02 AM

How long should pedals last?

On 3/19/2018 3:51 PM, wrote:
[...]

I've got a set of Lyotard Mod 23s that I bought around 1975. These
things have zero sealing on the crank side bearings, but they've got
tens of thousands of miles on them. Admittedly, they don't see much rain.

--
- Frank Krygowski

JBeattie March 20th 18 04:34 AM

How long should pedals last?

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 5:33:17 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 20/03/18 07:43, Joerg wrote:

I get around 5000mi out of pedals and it doesn't seem to matter much
what their price was. Then the bearings are gone. Similar with bottom
brackets. I have always lived in or near hilly terrain which probably
doesn't help.

My preferences are big MTB pedals, both on the MTB and on the road bike..
No clips of any kind.

My Look Keo 2 Max pedals have done probably 50,000km. I think they are
about stuffed. $100 - $150 a pair. I ride plenty of hills and I don't
have little gears. I have inspected the internals once or twice. The
grease is always as new. IOW the seals have not let anything of note pass.

Maybe it is your mountain lions that kill pedals?

Too bad they are not big platform MTB pedals.

IIRC, the last pair of those I bought were on sale $59 USD. They're often on sale at Western Bikeworks for some reason.

These are only $49, but I'm not clear on what makes them the limited edition. https://www.performancebike.com/Prod...s%20&%20Frames

I actually bought a pair of those for the Synapse, and they work fine.

I did mung a pair of the original Keos -- the release mech on one pedal is all screwed up, and I haven't tried to fix it because I moved to the wider platform -- and it may have to do with excessive wear of a non-repairable plastic part. My first pair of Keo Max fell apart. The body pulled off the spindle. I got those warrantied by the shop and didn't have the problem again. It seemed to be a one-off problem.

My work-horse commuter pedals are SPDs. I ride them in rain or snow half the year, open the pedal, and the grease is pristine. The labyrinth seals are really effective. The release mechanism gets sloppy before the bearings -- at least on the el cheapo M525s.

-- Jay Beattie.

James[_8_] March 20th 18 06:36 AM

How long should pedals last?

On 20/03/18 07:43, Joerg wrote:

[...]

No mountain lions where you are?

--
JS

Tosspot[_3_] March 20th 18 07:19 AM

How long should pedals last?

On 19/03/18 20:46, sms wrote:
Yesterday one of the pedals on my road bike started making noise. By the
end of the ride there was a large amount of play on the pedal axle. I
was waiting for the whole thing to disintegrate but I made it home.

I ordered some new MKS pedals this morning, but I'm wondering what kind
of mileage I should get out of a set of pedals. These are the original
pedals that came with my Specialized Sirrus. They are plaform pedals,
since I prefer toe-clips to SPD.

Shimano PD-M324 SPDs are my preferred weapon of choice, I reckon 7-10
years, or about 20,000 miles all weather riding. I have to say, one set
gave up at around the 5 year mark, which was disappointing.

snip