CycleBanter.com

-   Racing (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Latest Polgar Attack (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=162496)

B. Lafferty[_2_] June 1st 07 11:52 PM

The Latest Polgar Attack

From her blog:
The USCF only provides the playing area and TD. A contract was signed with
the USCF until at least 2009 and it was signed by the current USCF President
Bill Goichberg. But because this is an election season, and because I
refused to cave in to the political pressure by various chess politicians,
here is a motion that was / will be presented by one of the current board
members:

I have made the following motion:

Resolved the name of the Girls Tournament Held at the US Open is hereby
changed to the "Irina Krush Tournament of Champions".

My reasons are as follows:

Susan Polgar states that she wants to hold the tournament in her name at
Texas Tech University. At the same time, the USCF is unwilling to give up a
successful tournament that we have developed over the last several years.
Thus, it is inevitable that we will have to change the name of the
tournament.

Accordingly, I am moving that we change the name to the Irina Krush
Tournament of Champions.

My reasons are as follows:

Irina Krush is the highest rated ACTIVE woman player in the United States.
In addition, she is rapidly improving. She has gained rating points in each
of her last six tournaments, including her great result in the US
Championship in Stillwater, Oklahoma last week. She is now rated 2497.

Irina is only 23 years old, which makes her much younger than most of her
immediate rivals. It is unlikely that anybody will be able to catch her or
pass her for at least the next several years.

Her name is easy to pronounce and remember. Frankly, most of the other top
woman players have unpronounceable or unspellable names. At least, I cannot
remember how to spell them and have to look them up every time.

She has a good name for chess. Imagine being Krushed by Bonecrusher Krush.

Irina has an attractive and charming personality. She is well liked by all
who know her. She has never been involved in a dispute or a controversy of
any kind. She has stayed clear of politics or of any sort of political
involvement.

It does not hurt at all that Irina Krush is an astoundingly beautiful and
attractive woman.

In short, Irina Krush is the perfect role model for our youth, for the type
of person we want to bring into chess. A beautiful young girl is obviously a
more attractive role model than a divorced, middle-aged woman.

As to the timing of this decision, I believe that now is the right time. If
we wait it will be more controversial and politically contentious. I have
considered waiting until the August meetings as Bill suggests, but that will
be after the election and I believe it will have adverse political
ramifications if done then.

Since Susan Polgar states that she no longer wishes to have a tournament in
her name held in connection with the Annual US Open, and since the
tournament in this format has been increasingly successful, we should simply
change the name of the tournament.

Accordingly, I propose that we change the name of the tournament to Irina
Krush Tournament of Champions and the name of the committee to the Krush
Committee.

I hope that this motion can be passed quickly so that an announcement of the
new name can appear in Chess Life magazine in the July issue before the
tournament is held in Cherry Hill NJ in August.

USCF Board Member

This came up in spite of the fact that I have a legal contract until at
least 2009 and that this tournament was created by me. This is in spite of
the fact that I fought tooth and nail just to get this event off the ground
over the objections from the chess politicians who do not want to support
girl's chess. This is in spite of the fact that the USCF has no sponsor for
the event this year or subsequent years without Texas Tech.

As I said many times before, if some of these people are willing to go out
of their ways to legally threaten me, physically threaten my children and my
family, and insult, demean, attack and lie about me just about every single
day in the past 5 months, what would they do to others who do not have a
voice?.....................

What can one say. A rehash of all the old "stuff" and the new assertion that
she has a written contract with the USCF that runs through at least 2009 (
doesn't she know the term of the alleged agreement? Is there a renewal
option?)

Can someone on the Board or Bill Hall product a copy of this contract. Was
it Yogi Berra who said, "It's deja vu all over again.

B. Lafferty[_2_] June 1st 07 11:54 PM

The Latest Polgar Attack

OOPs! Wrong group. If you think USACycyling politics gets viscious, come
join the US Chess Federation. :-)

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
From her blog:
[...]

simply change the name of the tournament.

Stu Fleming June 2nd 07 12:50 AM

The Latest Polgar Attack

B. Lafferty wrote:

Her name is easy to pronounce and remember. Frankly, most of the other top
woman players have unpronounceable or unspellable names. At least, I cannot
remember how to spell them and have to look them up every time.

Easy to pronounce as long as you remember to sound it "Urina Kroosh".

[email protected] June 2nd 07 03:19 AM

The Latest Polgar Attack

On Jun 1, 6:54 pm, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:
OOPs! Wrong group. If you think USACycyling politics gets viscious, come
join the US Chess Federation. :-)

tilting at windmills around every corner, eh?

Bob Schwartz June 2nd 07 04:23 AM

The Latest Polgar Attack

B. Lafferty wrote:
Irina is only 23 years old, which makes her much younger than most of her
immediate rivals. It is unlikely that anybody will be able to catch her or
pass her for at least the next several years.

Irina has an attractive and charming personality. She is well liked by all
who know her. She has never been involved in a dispute or a controversy of
any kind. She has stayed clear of politics or of any sort of political
involvement.

It does not hurt at all that Irina Krush is an astoundingly beautiful and
attractive woman.

In short, Irina Krush is the perfect role model for our youth, for the type
of person we want to bring into chess. A beautiful young girl is obviously a
more attractive role model than a divorced, middle-aged woman.

Brian Lafferty, the Sierraman of American chess.

Bob Schwartz

SandM June 2nd 07 07:16 AM

The Latest Polgar Attack

"B. Lafferty" wrote in message
OOPs! Wrong group. If you think USACycyling politics gets viscious, come
join the US Chess Federation. :-)

Brian, Do you post there too ? Do they have an Armstrong chess equivalent ?
You know, a champion who makes the hair on your neck stand up ?

Michael Press June 2nd 07 07:50 PM

The Latest Polgar Attack

Somebody once told me to look at
rec.games.chess.politics for a truly poisonous
atmosphere. I pass along that recommendation.

--
Michael Press

Tom Kunich June 2nd 07 09:58 PM

The Latest Polgar Attack

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 1, 6:54 pm, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:
OOPs! Wrong group. If you think USACycyling politics gets viscious,
come
join the US Chess Federation. :-)

tilting at windmills around every corner, eh?

Once an asshole, always an asshole?

Donald Munro June 2nd 07 10:08 PM

The Latest Polgar Attack

SandM wrote:
Brian, Do you post there too ? Do they have an Armstrong chess equivalent ?
You know, a champion who makes the hair on your neck stand up ?

Bobby Fischer ? He must have been on something.

[email protected] June 2nd 07 10:26 PM

The Latest Polgar Attack

On Jun 2, 12:52 am, "B. Lafferty"
wrote:
From her blog:
[...]

That's funny, because I played my first game of chess in 3 years
today. It managed to relieve some
anger issues I was feeling at the time. There is nothing like crushing
a couple of people to give you
a little boost. The point is that you can never win an argument, but
in chess you can just win the game.

-ilan