CycleBanter.com

-   -   Sheldon Brown site (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=261748)

Roger Merriman[_4_] June 12th 21 10:41 PM

Sheldon Brown site

It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.

Tom Kunich[_4_] June 12th 21 10:50 PM

Sheldon Brown site

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:42:02 PM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

This is a real concern since Sheldon's site was the go-to for most maintenance tasks on bicycles.

Roger Merriman[_4_] June 12th 21 11:12 PM

Sheldon Brown site

Tom Kunich wrote:
On Saturday, June 12, 2021 at 2:42:02 PM UTC-7, Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

This is a real concern since Sheldon's site was the go-to for most
maintenance tasks on bicycles.

To be fair I mostly use it for gear inch calculation as I like the way it
works.

Roger Merriman

Ralph Barone[_4_] June 13th 21 12:21 AM

Sheldon Brown site

Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.

I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.

pH June 13th 21 02:43 AM

Sheldon Brown site

On 2021-06-12, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.

I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.

Would 'wget' or 'curl' be used for something like that?

pH

James[_8_] June 13th 21 03:08 AM

Sheldon Brown site

On 2021-06-12, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.

I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.

Would 'wget' or 'curl' be used for something like that?

pH

wget -k -p -r https://www.sheldonbrown.com/ ./

might do the trick.

--
JS

Jeff Liebermann June 13th 21 08:15 AM

Sheldon Brown site

On Sun, 13 Jun 2021 12:08:32 +1000, James

On 2021-06-12, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.

I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.

Would 'wget' or 'curl' be used for something like that?
pH

wget -k -p -r https://www.sheldonbrown.com/ ./
might do the trick.

I use HTTrack:
http://www.httrack.com
for copying and backing up web sites. Open source. Available for
Windoze, Linux, and Android. Also includes command line versions.

Using the Windoze 64 bit version (my Linux Mint box needs a storage
upgrade), I downloaded about 40MBytes of https://www.sheldonbrown.com.
I can see view web pages, so HTTrack seems to be working. However,
it's midnight, so I'll stop here and continue tomorrow.

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272

Andre Jute[_2_] June 13th 21 02:47 PM

Sheldon Brown site

On 13/6/21 11:43 am, pH wrote:
On 2021-06-12, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
[...]

..
Your reward will be in Another Place. -- What Boris said, back when he was a journal editor, to a writer who asked for more money. -- AJ

AMuzi June 13th 21 03:14 PM

Sheldon Brown site

On 6/12/2021 6:21 PM, Ralph Barone wrote:
Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.

I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.

Or buying server space and hosting a mirror site.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Ralph Barone[_4_] June 13th 21 03:55 PM

Sheldon Brown site

Roger Merriman wrote:
It’s been reported that Harris bike shop is closing down, And thus
questions over Sheldon Browns site, ie will it disappear?

I believe he was of this group? Though before my time I think.

https://road.cc/content/news/concern...website-284033

Roger Merriman.

I’m not sure that anything is stopping you from crawling the site and
downloading the entire contents to your hard drive.

Or buying server space and hosting a mirror site.

Which will, of course be the real litmus test to see if this is indeed the
travesty that people are saying it is.