CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Typical weight of a dual suspension bike (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=156190)

[email protected] February 14th 07 11:18 PM

Typical weight of a dual suspension bike

I'm having a hard time comparing dual suspension bikes in the sub
$1500 range. One of the key factors for me is weight, but many
brouchers dont mention the weight.

Whats the typical weight of a dually, and what would be too much.

Bleve February 15th 07 12:23 AM

On Feb 15, 10:18 am, wrote:
I'm having a hard time comparing dual suspension bikes in the sub
$1500 range. One of the key factors for me is weight, but many
brouchers dont mention the weight.

At $1500, you'll be buying a brick. 15kg+, I'd guess, and it'll be a
pogobike.
What do you want the dualy for? XC? 'all mountain'? downhill? At
that price, you're *much* better off with a hardtail.

SomeGuy February 15th 07 01:04 AM

Wrote:
I'm having a hard time comparing dual suspension bikes in the sub
$1500 range. One of the key factors for me is weight, but many
brouchers dont mention the weight.

Whats the typical weight of a dually, and what would be too much.

As said above, if you've got $1500 you're not going to get a proper
dual suspension bike. I can't think of a reputable brand that actually
sells any that cheap.

Take
http://www.vicmtb.com/store/07bikes/...reflexfx35.php for an
example. 14.5kg, and it'll set you back $1800. For the same money
you'll get a much lighter hardtail with better quality components -
like http://www.vicmtb.com/store/07bikes/scott/scale50.php.

Scott make duallies that come in under 10kg
(http://www.scottusa.com/category.php?UID=645), but you can't even buy
them in AU. If you could I would expect the price to be around $10 000.

--
SomeGuy

Bikesoiler February 15th 07 01:16 AM

Wrote:
I'm having a hard time comparing dual suspension bikes in the sub
$1500 range. One of the key factors for me is weight, but many
brouchers dont mention the weight.

Whats the typical weight of a dually, and what would be too much.

As other have said, $1500 won't get you much dual suspention bike, or
rather too much weight & too little quality.

As posted above the Scott ReflexFX35 is ~$1800 & 14.5kg. It will cost
an extra $800 to loose each Kg below that.

I wouldn't be shopping for a MTB dualy with less than double your
budget.

--
Bikesoiler

petulance February 15th 07 02:18 AM

On Feb 15, 10:18 am, wrote:
I'm having a hard time comparing dual suspension bikes in the sub
$1500 range. One of the key factors for me is weight, but many
brouchers dont mention the weight.

Whats the typical weight of a dually, and what would be too much.

It depends on what type of duallie you want to get (XC, All Mountain
or Downhill).

You won't find a decent duallie for less than $1500. The last time I
looked, the entry level Giant Trance (2 or 3?) cost a bit more than
$2k. You are better off getting a hardtail like the Giant XTC3 for
that amount of money.

FWIW, my first gen Specialized Epic weighs in at a porky 13.9 kilos.

[email protected] February 15th 07 02:56 AM

Typical weight of a dual suspension bike

Fair points. But I'm not looking to compete in the next MTB world
champs. I'm looking to get a replacement for my 10 year old hard-tail
which finally wore out its welcome on the Andersons fire trail a few
weeks back. That was only a $400 bike back then and the quality of
parts have been high enough for my usage.

I get the feeling that sub 15kg is a good aim for a dually ?

Not sure what the weights are for these, but what are peoples opinions
on:
- Mongoose Wing Super ($1100)
- Appollo Vanquish ($700)
- Learsport (top model dually) ($700)

thefathippy February 15th 07 03:08 AM

On Feb 15, 1:18 pm, "petulance" wrote:
On Feb 15, 10:18 am, wrote:

I'm having a hard time comparing dual suspension bikes in the sub
$1500 range. One of the key factors for me is weight, but many
brouchers dont mention the weight.

Whats the typical weight of a dually, and what would be too much.

It depends on what type of duallie you want to get (XC, All Mountain
or Downhill).

You won't find a decent duallie for less than $1500. The last time I
looked, the entry level Giant Trance (2 or 3?) cost a bit more than
$2k. You are better off getting a hardtail like the Giant XTC3 for
that amount of money.

FWIW, my first gen Specialized Epic weighs in at a porky 13.9 kilos.

Well, you could buy last year's model on run out, or second hand, but
around $2k is where duallies start to become sweet. Downhill, freeride
and all mountain will all weigh lots more than a duallie designed for
XC, but they'll generally be stronger as well - as they need to be.
You could have bought an 06 Kona Dawg fon special or $1649 from The
Bike Barn (NSW)(sold out)

Weights are more likely to be published on the manufacturer's web
site.

With my latest duallie, I chose to accept greater weight for greater
strength - and have very few problems, unlike my old lightweight
duallie. Gawd, I hate that weight going uphills, but at least I know
it won't fall apart under my lack of finesse heading back down. ;^)
It's a trade off - I could have spent lots more money and bought a
strong, lighter duallie, or I could stay married...

If you're worried about weight, $1500 will buy quite a decent
hardtail, and it will weigh much less than most duallies.

Tony F
www.thefathippy.com

Bleve February 15th 07 03:11 AM

On Feb 15, 1:56 pm, wrote:
Fair points. But I'm not looking to compete in the next MTB world
champs. I'm looking to get a replacement for my 10 year old hard-tail
which finally wore out its welcome on the Andersons fire trail a few
weeks back. That was only a $400 bike back then and the quality of
parts have been high enough for my usage.

I get the feeling that sub 15kg is a good aim for a dually ?

It's about a lot more than weight, it's about how well the thing
rides, how well you can pedal it etc - cheap dualies get called
pogobikes for a reason and it's not a compliment.

Not sure what the weights are for these, but what are peoples opinions
on:
- Mongoose Wing Super ($1100)
- Appollo Vanquish ($700)
- Learsport (top model dually) ($700)

Forget anyone's opinion, go ride them. If a bikeshop won't let you
ride it, don't buy it. I can suggest though, for that sort of money,
you will most likely be sorely disappointed by the ride you get, and
you'll stick with a hardtail. But, don't take my word for it, go
testriding, then you'll understand.

just us February 15th 07 07:42 AM

Typical weight of a dual suspension bike

When I was shopping for my bike I got it in my head I wanted a really light
one which would "race" up the hills. (wasnt looking for a MTB, but a
Hybrid). Anyway, told one LBS that I was after a lighter bike and he looked
at me and simply said "consider this - if you lost 5 kgs you wouldnt need a
lighter bike!"
What an insult - but true :)
Kathy

Friday February 15th 07 09:36 AM

just us wrote:
When I was shopping for my bike I got it in my head I wanted a really light
one which would "race" up the hills. (wasnt looking for a MTB, but a
Hybrid). Anyway, told one LBS that I was after a lighter bike and he looked
at me and simply said "consider this - if you lost 5 kgs you wouldnt need a
lighter bike!"
What an insult - but true :)
Kathy

Agreed! The money would be better spent on Jenny Craig.

Friday