CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SCIATICA AND KNEES (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=232441)

LF November 17th 11 07:22 PM

SCIATICA AND KNEES

Hi Mike,
I've had the host of age and/or cycling related aches and pains: knee, lower back,hip, etc. Knee problems started 25 years ago, back problems 5 years earlier (L4-L5). I've tried lots of remedies: rest, custom orthodics, aline orthodics (my favorite), stretches,ice, ibuprofin, to name a few.

I read "Born to Run" over a year ago, and it made sense to me: feet, ankles, knees, hips are all part of one interconnected system; and shoes make us walk in an unnatural way, leading to aches and pains.

I eased into Merrell's "barefoot running shoes" (after finding 5-fingers too weird) for daily use and for cycling, and continue daily stretches, and judicious chiropractic. So far, so good. Feel better, stronger, pain free.

YMMV,
Larry

LF November 17th 11 07:24 PM

SCIATICA AND KNEES

P.S.

I also use a standing desk when possible, and think the "cave man squat" is better for us then chairs.

Larry