CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   12km walk (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=224923)

Geoff Lock[_2_] February 1st 11 07:07 PM

12km walk

Yes, I am pretty sure why some ppl are wondering why a 12km walk is of
any significance in a newsgroup like aus.bicycle

OK, a bit of background.

Mate of mine, Raj is headed off to India for nine weeks this weekend.

Raj became an Australian citizen about 2 weeks ago and this is his first
ever trip as an Aussie :)

Me mate, Benny, and me decided we would have a beer or seven with Raj to
send him off - as neither of us could see him off on the weekend :)

As I was not falling all over the place and spilling my beers
(sacrilegious) , I decided I was NOT OK to ride home (guess how I came
to that decision?) BUT I was OK to walk home.

It is just so nice to be able to walk me and my bike home - not too many
road vehicles you can do that with :) Chalk up another one for bicycles :)

Normally, 12kms would take me about 40mins of riding but I am happy with
the 90min walk. I am home safe and I didn't have to rely on nobody to
get me home safely :)

Owen February 2nd 11 08:44 AM

12km walk

On Feb 2, 6:07*am, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
[...]

In another day and age, I rode on some pretty lonely roads and always
carried a pair of walking boots, just in case. Eventually decided it
wasn't worth the trouble, and found I could walk a fair way in my
thongs.

The only unrepairable event was a cluster that went belly up and I had
to do about 40 Km in low gear. That was a pain. Broken axles seem to
hold together and chains are fixable if you have a chain tool.

I hope broken axles and clusters are a thing of the past as I now have
cassette wheels with sealed bearings, what a god send.

Owen

Geoff Lock[_2_] February 2nd 11 06:53 PM

12km walk

On 2/02/2011 7:44 PM, Owen wrote:
On Feb 2, 6:07 am, Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:
Yes, I am pretty sure why some ppl are wondering why a 12km walk is of
any significance in a newsgroup like aus.bicycle

In another day and age, I rode on some pretty lonely roads and always
carried a pair of walking boots, just in case. Eventually decided it
wasn't worth the trouble, and found I could walk a fair way in my
thongs.

Heheheh! I haven't tried riding me bike with thongs on and anyway thongs
are not allowed in the pub I go to after 2100 or something like that :)

Spare walking boots, eh? Hm. I suppose you normally wear them fancy
cycling footwear which clip onto your pedals. Damn! one of these days, I
am gonna buy some but they are not cheap - $240 on special for a pair I
saw the other day!!

But you are right, thongs can take one a long long way :)

The only unrepairable event was a cluster that went belly up and I had
to do about 40 Km in low gear. That was a pain. Broken axles seem to
hold together and chains are fixable if you have a chain tool.

40kms in low gear? You poor ******* - my commiserations.

How in the hell can you bugger up a gear cluster??!! I have stuffed up
front derailleurs and rear derailleurs but a gear cluster?? You had to
be trying real hard to do it!! :)

I hope broken axles and clusters are a thing of the past as I now have
cassette wheels with sealed bearings, what a god send.

Hm, recently spoke to Johnno at Europa, Kenso about sealed bearings for
me normal road bike (yes, I am still riding my spare bike, the
Cannondale, 2 weeks on) and it sounds like :-

1/ I'll have to replace my threaded hub with a freehub - yeah, I looked
up Wikipedia and I think I got it right

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cogset

2/ I'll have to chuck away my newish freewheel cogset and get a cassette
- a sheer waste but instead of a 7-speed, I could have a 9- or 10-speed :)

3/ I'll have to re-spoke(?) the whole wheel - you know, the one I took
16 zillion hrs to get into something resembling that which seems
roundish, sort of if you inclined your head at the correct angle and
squinted your eyes just so??

4/ I need to save up some $$ :)

Still, I gotta admit that sealed bearings work a treat as I have sealed
bearing bottom brackets on my normal road bike (which is a piece of ****
everywhere else component-wise), the Cannondale and the Scott.

Caged bearings just seem too fragile and don't last very long for me - a
week or two max :( I do go a bit hard when I am riding but more likely,
maybe I am not installing them properly - perhaps not tightening them to
the right tension?