CycleBanter.com

-   Mountain Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Looking for "Chain-slap" solution... (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=5938)

Dan Volker February 17th 04 01:29 PM

Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

On the heavily rooted trails I ride on ( Quiet Waters, Oleta, etc) the chain
on my Trek Liquid 25 starts flopping around like crazy when I hit race pace
speeds through the rough sections. This is not an issue on trails in North
Florida like Croom or Santos ( meaning it would be a non-issue in N Carolina
and other real mountain biking locations). But for my weekly rides, I need
to find a way to reduce this flopping around. Sometimes the chain will shift
itself into the granny gear, when I "need" to stay in the middle ring. and
other times, when really hammering a rough section, the shifting on the rear
derailer is badly compromised by the flailing chain.

The only possible solution I can think of is removing the Big ring from the
equation, and taking out several links--shortening the chain, in the hope
that this will mean less travel potential for the chain....I'd rather have a
better solution, and am hoping someone has one...

Dan V

spademan o---[\) * February 17th 04 02:20 PM

Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

"Dan Volker" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You want one of these, unfortunately no longer made but easy to DIY.
http://idriders.com/cgi-bin/album_k2...bulletbros.jpg

Steve.

Mark \(UK\) February 17th 04 03:18 PM

Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

spademan o---[) * wrote:
"Dan Volker" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Or one of these.
http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/22/shopscr83.html

'Old' style chain device that lets you keep 3 rings

--
Mark

Ride-A-Lot February 17th 04 04:16 PM

Dan Volker wrote:
[...]

Actually, this is exactly what you are looking for. I use one and never had
a problem.

http://www.kore-usa.com/dreactor.htm

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

spademan o---[\) * February 17th 04 04:24 PM

Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

"Mark (UK)" wrote in message
spademan o---[) * wrote:
"Dan Volker" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Never really did like those, they seemed to slip round the frame and didn't
actually do much. I have got a purple one in my spares box...

Steve.

JD February 18th 04 06:53 AM

Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

Ride a singlespeed.

JD

gazzer February 18th 04 01:34 PM

Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

(JD) wrote in message . com...
Ride a singlespeed.

JD

Ride with no chain.You'll learn new skills you didnt even know you need.

Paladin February 18th 04 06:04 PM

Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

(JD) wrote in message . com...
Ride a singlespeed.

JD

I heard that coming a mile away. And I have to agree...

paladin
quiet, simple, pure/SS

Dan Volker February 18th 04 06:55 PM

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message

Dan Volker wrote:
[...]

Thanks,
This looks like a good piece of gear to try.
Regards,
Dan V

JD February 18th 04 07:06 PM

(gazzer) wrote in message . com...
(JD) wrote in message . com...
Ride a singlespeed.

JD

Ride with no chain.You'll learn new skills you didnt even know you need.

I had to ride off of Poison Spider once in a chaimless mode on my old
BFD28 (damn ****mano freehubs). It was an eye opener, for sure.

JD