CycleBanter.com

-   Mountain Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Interbike (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=145728)

[email protected] September 23rd 06 10:59 PM

Interbike

So ... anyone going this year?

I tried to get out of it, but it looks like I am going.

JD September 25th 06 07:00 AM

Interbike

wrote:
So ... anyone going this year?

I tried to get out of it, but it looks like I am going.

I passed through LV today, but kept on rolling.

JD

MattB September 25th 06 05:33 PM

Interbike

wrote:
So ... anyone going this year?

I tried to get out of it, but it looks like I am going.

A few of my friends will be there but not me.

My neighbor, Dan, will have the big yellow MavicMobile and lots of
wheels for demo rides.

Matt

Scott Gordo September 25th 06 08:52 PM

Interbike

wrote:
So ... anyone going this year?

I tried to get out of it, but it looks like I am going.

You poor thing! Condolences from the cubicle!

/s

Corvus Corvax September 26th 06 02:42 AM

Interbike

MattB wrote:

My neighbor, Dan, will have the big yellow MavicMobile and lots of
wheels for demo rides.

I'm sure they're nice wheels. But...

What's the point in demoing a wheel?

CC

MattB September 26th 06 04:10 AM

Interbike

Corvus Corvax wrote:
MattB wrote:

My neighbor, Dan, will have the big yellow MavicMobile and lots of
wheels for demo rides.

I'm sure they're nice wheels. But...

What's the point in demoing a wheel?

CC

I've wondered that myself, but you'll have to ask Dan.

Matt

Scott Gordo September 26th 06 02:47 PM

Interbike

Corvus Corvax wrote:
MattB wrote:

My neighbor, Dan, will have the big yellow MavicMobile and lots of
wheels for demo rides.

I'm sure they're nice wheels. But...

What's the point in demoing a wheel?

CC

If you were trying to sell a wheel, how would you do it? (Beyond
hyperbole and a whole bunch of carbon tape?)
If you were considering purchasing a prebuilt set (not that you would),
wouldn't you like to know if it was going to rub your brake pads every
time you put some muscle into it? And if you were Mavic, wouldn't you
want your customers to experience a perfectly tuned version of their
product?

/s

Corvus Corvax September 26th 06 04:04 PM

Interbike

Scott Gordo wrote:

What's the point in demoing a wheel?

If you were trying to sell a wheel, how would you do it? (Beyond
hyperbole and a whole bunch of carbon tape?)

Chicks with big tits.

If you were considering purchasing a prebuilt set (not that you would),
wouldn't you like to know if it was going to rub your brake pads every
time you put some muscle into it?

My understanding is that things like brake rub are completely dominated
by frame flex. Maybe somebody with more expertise in the engineering
aspects of wheels can confirm this, but I would think that any wheel
which was even basically functional could be approximated as being
infinitely stiff in this regard.

The thing which really differentiates one wheel from another is the
quality of the build, i.e. durability. (Gordo, know you know this.)
Presumably, any brand-new wheel is going to be perfectly true, but
things like even spoke tension and stress relief are not going to be
obvious from a demo. Nor will Mavic's unfortunate tendency to have bits
of the weld break off inside the wheel and make a benign, but annoying
"click, click" with rotation of the wheel. But I digress. The bottom
line is that a demo tells you nothing about build quality. The only
think I can think of that a demo might shed light on, besides simply
weight, would be hub engagement.

Keep in mind that this is coming from a
handbuilt-32-3X-butted-stainless-spokes-with brass-nipples retrogrouch.
(Gordo, I know you also know this ;-).

And if you were Mavic, wouldn't you
want your customers to experience a perfectly tuned version of their
product?

Oh, totally! I'm sure they get all sorts of people coming back from
their demos raving about how "stiff" and "responsive" the wheels are,
which makes about as much sense as raving about how "round" they are.

The smart money is in staying back at the tent and talking to the
chicks with big tits.

CC

Bill Sornson September 26th 06 05:11 PM

Interbike

Corvus Corvax wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:

If you were trying to sell a wheel, how would you do it? (Beyond
hyperbole and a whole bunch of carbon tape?)

Chicks with big tits.

I'll take two.

(No wonder they come in pairs.)

MattB September 26th 06 05:14 PM

Interbike

Corvus Corvax wrote:
Scott Gordo wrote:

[...]

I think those chicks are in the Marzocchi tent. Sometimes Mrs Dan comes
and hands out fliers, but she's more of a cyclist than a bikini model.

I've never demoed a wheelset but I /might/ if I wanted to see if
something like a tubeless set felt as spry as my other wheels, for example.

Matt