CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Tyre blowout (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=228541)

Geoff Lock[_2_] June 14th 11 07:39 AM

Tyre blowout

Nearly forgot to mention this and maybe, it should have stayed forgotten
but had a sidewall blowout yesterday arvo on my crappy 700x23C tyres :(

The road had a layer of water tending towards dry, it was a slight
downhill (4-5 degrees?) of approx 350m long, and my speed was
fortunately low, 20-25kph(?), so I didn't come a cropper.

I just heard a sound like someone threw a firecracker at me, saw a puff
of water get kicked off the wet road, and some kinda of grinding sound :)

Also I was lucky that it happened about the last 50m of the downhill and
I was planning to slow down anyway. I managed the 90 degree lefthand
turn at the bottom of the downhill and turned into someone's driveway :)

Well, gotta get new tyres now, so off to Johnno's in Kenso :)