CycleBanter.com

-   -   Unlawful Detention (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=229636)

Nuxx Bar[_3_] July 21st 11 07:00 PM

Unlawful Detention

Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

According to one of the more knowledgeable and respected posters in this
group, I was unlawfully detained by the council for that 3 minutes. How
do I go about reporting this very serious crime? Presumably the person
who falsely detained me can expect jail (a taste of his/her own
medicine), and I will be in line for compensation?

When I think about what I could have done with that wasted 3 minutes of
my life, and what a changed man I was when I emerged from the dank,
hellish prison which was my adopted home for all that time, I firmly
believe that I will never be the same again after that horrific,
nightmarish and neverending experience (which I wouldn't wish upon my
worst enemy). Please, denizens of URC, help me, a poor, persecuted
cyclist, the likes of whom is regularly discussed and sympathised with
in this newsgroup, obtain adequate redress for the wicked and terrible
injustice which has been so callously inflicted upon me.

Simon Mason July 21st 11 07:03 PM

Unlawful Detention

"Nuxx Bar" wrote in message
Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

My carbon bike has the same problem.
I'll made a video to show you what to do.
Keep out a watch for it.

Good luck with the cycling, BTW.
Are you enjoying it?

--
Simon Mason
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/

Squashme July 21st 11 07:04 PM

Unlawful Detention

On Jul 21, 7:00*pm, Nuxx Bar wrote:
Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. *It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

"Some people have said, "Oh my goodness me — four minutes? — that is
not a very long time!" Well, I would remind those doubters that some
people in this great country of ours can run a mile in four minutes."

[...]

Just how fast were you going?

Paul - xxx[_2_] July 21st 11 07:06 PM

Unlawful Detention

Nuxx Bar wrote:

Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

According to one of the more knowledgeable and respected posters in
this group, I was unlawfully detained by the council for that 3
minutes.

I can't remember anyone saying that at all, perhaps you have a link to
prove it ...

--
Paul - xxx

Judith[_4_] July 21st 11 07:58 PM

Unlawful Detention

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 19:00:20 +0100, Nuxx Bar wrote:

Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

I think that the best advice which has been given was for you to phone the
police and ask them for permission to cross the white-line. (If the traffic
lights were over a railway track - then obviously it would be the Transport
Police.)

Of course, if that permission was not forthcoming the police would have
"detained you" illegaly and you could certainly expect a substantial
compensation settlement out of court.

I think that Anchor Lee may be a practicing solicitor - and may be able to help
you.

Judith[_4_] July 21st 11 08:01 PM

Unlawful Detention

On 21 Jul 2011 18:06:43 GMT, "Paul - xxx" wrote:

Nuxx Bar wrote:

Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

According to one of the more knowledgeable and respected posters in
this group, I was unlawfully detained by the council for that 3
minutes.

I can't remember anyone saying that at all, perhaps you have a link to
prove it ...

If Traffic Lights are not working, then you can telephone the police for
permission to procede.
If this is not forthcoming, then you can reports it as "unlawful detention".
(Anchor Lee)

Paul - xxx[_2_] July 21st 11 09:47 PM

Unlawful Detention

wrote:

Nuxx Bar wrote:

Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights

which was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed
red, for a good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and
activated the lights and they mercifully went green at last.

According to one of the more knowledgeable and respected posters in
this group, I was unlawfully detained by the council for that 3
minutes.

I can't remember anyone saying that at all, perhaps you have a link
to prove it ...

If Traffic Lights are not working, then you can telephone the police
for permission to procede.
If this is not forthcoming, then you can reports it as "unlawful
detention". (Anchor Lee)

So you say ... I've never heard of it, or heard anyone 'here' suggest
it in the manner Nuxx suggested.

--
Paul - xxx

Nuxx Bar[_3_] July 21st 11 10:45 PM

Unlawful Detention

On 21/07/2011 19:03, Simon Mason wrote:

"Nuxx Bar" wrote in message
Today, when cycling, I came to a vehicle-activated set of lights which
was on red. It didn't detect me on my bike and so stayed red, for a
good 3 minutes, until a car came up behind me and activated the lights
and they mercifully went green at last.

My carbon bike has the same problem.
I'll made a video to show you what to do.
Keep out a watch for it.

Thanks, but I'd prefer to see the video of your eight RLJing motorists,
which I know others have also been keenly requesting.

Good luck with the cycling, BTW.

I've always been an occasional cyclist. I know it suits some people's
agendas to deny that people like Judith and me could possibly ever cycle
simply because of the opinions we hold.

Are you enjoying it?

Not really. I'm afraid I don't really "get" the appeal of cycling, like
most apparently. I'm vaguely thinking of getting an e-bike though,
which would probably annoy some of the "purists" round here. It would
be a useful way of getting through towns/cities, circumventing anti-car
measures while still not having to provide all the power yourself and
therefore turning up as a sweatball.

Judith[_4_] July 21st 11 11:07 PM

Unlawful Detention

Phil ****** Lee has previously said: "If Traffic Lights are not working, then