CycleBanter.com

-   -   CTC Briefing Document (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=56089)

Just zis Guy, you know? March 20th 04 07:21 PM

CTC Briefing Document

url:http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/CTC12ppleafleta_w.pdf
(PDF, 120k)

--
Guy
===
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Peter Fox March 20th 04 10:18 PM

CTC Briefing Document

Following on from Just zis Guy, you know?'s message. . .
url:http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/CTC12ppleafleta_w.pdf
(PDF, 120k)

Would you follow a signpost saying "THIS WAY--" I wouldn't, I'd like
to know what's there first. Perhaps you could be a bit more
informative.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the deckchair business folded

www.eminent.demon.co.uk/wcc.htm Witham Cycling Campaign
www.eminent.demon.co.uk/rides East Anglian Pub cycle rides

David Martin March 20th 04 10:51 PM

CTC Briefing Document

On 20/3/04 10:18 pm, in article , "Peter
Fox" wrote:

Following on from Just zis Guy, you know?'s message. . .
url:http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/CTC12ppleafleta_w.pdf
(PDF, 120k)

Would you follow a signpost saying "THIS WAY--" I wouldn't, I'd like
to know what's there first. Perhaps you could be a bit more
informative.

Its the CTC campaigning leaflet against the child helmet law. Bit like Guy's
pages but more comprehensive and prettier.

...d

Tim Hall March 20th 04 11:47 PM

CTC Briefing Document

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:18:29 +0000, Peter Fox
wrote:

Following on from Just zis Guy, you know?'s message. . .
url:http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/CTC12ppleafleta_w.pdf
(PDF, 120k)

Would you follow a signpost saying "THIS WAY--" I wouldn't, I'd like
to know what's there first. Perhaps you could be a bit more
informative.

I saw a signpost last weekend.

THIS WAY
THAT WAY
SOMEWHERE ELSE

IIRC, SOMEWHERE ELSE led to the pub.

Tim

Jon Senior March 20th 04 11:59 PM

CTC Briefing Document

"Tim Hall" wrote in message
I saw a signpost last weekend.

THIS WAY
THAT WAY
SOMEWHERE ELSE

IIRC, SOMEWHERE ELSE led to the pub.

In Parc Asterix in Paris, there's a signpost at a crossroads with all the
directions saying Rome.

Jon

marc March 21st 04 08:44 AM

CTC Briefing Document

In article ,
says...
Following on from Just zis Guy, you know?'s message. . .
url:http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Campaigns/CTC12ppleafleta_w.pdf
(PDF, 120k)

Would you follow a signpost saying "THIS WAY--" I wouldn't, I'd like
to know what's there first. Perhaps you could be a bit more
informative.

I though I was the only one that disliked that

Simonb March 21st 04 11:01 AM

CTC Briefing Document

marc wrote:

I though I was the only one that disliked that

It's a fundamental of web design. A link should contain as much information
as possible.

Patrick Herring March 21st 04 11:05 AM

CTC Briefing Document

"Jon Senior" wrote:

| "Tim Hall" wrote in message
| I saw a signpost last weekend.
|
| THIS WAY
| THAT WAY
| SOMEWHERE ELSE
|
| IIRC, SOMEWHERE ELSE led to the pub.
|
| In Parc Asterix in Paris, there's a signpost at a crossroads with all the
| directions saying Rome.

One of my favourite postcards is of a signpost pointing both left and
right with Chinese-type words on each end but "This Way" right in the
middle. A former colleague came up with a plausible interpretation,
that the Chinese was for "Ladies" and "Gents" and the ambiguity in the
English was to embarass foreign tourists...

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK
http://www.anweald.co.uk

David Hansen March 21st 04 11:42 AM

CTC Briefing Document

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:18:29 +0000 someone who may be Peter Fox
wrote this:-

Would you follow a signpost saying "THIS WAY--" I wouldn't, I'd like
to know what's there first.

Road signs in the North West (of Scotland) traditionally only said
things like "North", "East" and so on, which was all that was
needed. However, in recent decades their replacements have had the
names of places as well, which spoils the atmosphere a bit.

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Just zis Guy, you know? March 21st 04 12:53 PM

CTC Briefing Document

wrote in message
:

Would you follow a signpost saying "THIS WAY--" I wouldn't, I'd like
to know what's there first. Perhaps you could be a bit more
informative.

It's six pages of data all of which have been discussed here in detail
in the past. I really didn't see the point.

On the other hand I missed "on helmet compulsion" form the subject, so
apologies for that at least. I was in a hurry.

--
Guy
===