CycleBanter.com

-   -   UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=238651)

datakoll October 6th 12 12:40 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

http://sheldonbrown.com/upgrade.html

I was looking for the replacement pedals.

datakoll October 6th 12 12:58 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:40:26 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
http://sheldonbrown.com/upgrade.html

I was looking for the replacement pedals.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

NOTICE allllllthe way at the end there's a link to rider's with your interests in older bicycles

Sir Ridesalot October 6th 12 10:38 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:58:46 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:40:26 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/upgrade.html

I was looking for the replacement pedals.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

NOTICE allllllthe way at the end there's a link to rider's with your interests in older bicycles

Interesting article on Sheldon's page. I'm pretty happy with all of my old Miele steel frame bicycles. I have pedals and toe clips on all but one of them. The other has clipless road pedals. I'm one of those that found the clipless mtb pedals (Wellgo clones of Shimano) too hard to get into. I have no problems entering either the cip and straps pedals or the clipless road pedals. I think that the flipping up of the pedal prior to entering it is so ingrained in me that I do it with the mtb pedals too and that's what makes it so hard to enter them. Since I'm happy enough with all my road pedals I'm not about to spend money experimenting trying to find an mtb pedal that suits me.

I can get into my road pedals with toe clips as fast and as easily as I can with my Look type clipless pedals but then need to snug up the straps which means that getting the same security with the toe clip pedals takes longer than it does with the clipless ones.

Periodically I use my Matrix rim tubular tires (old school 7 spd Dura Ace Uniglide cassette hub and Campy Record front hub) just for the enjoyment of their lively feel.

Cheers

Frank Krygowski[_2_] October 6th 12 06:53 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 6, 5:38*am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:58:46 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:40:26 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/upgrade.html

I was looking for the replacement pedals.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

NOTICE allllllthe way at the end there's a link to rider's with your interests in older bicycles

Interesting article on Sheldon's page.

Indeed, very interesting article! He seems to have disagreed with
many of the modern design trends. I tend to agree with Sheldon.

I'm pretty happy with all of my old Miele steel frame bicycles. I have pedals and toe clips on all but one of them. ...

I can get into my road pedals with toe clips as fast and as easily as I can with my Look type clipless pedals but then need to snug up the straps which means that getting the same security with the toe clip pedals takes longer than it does with the clipless ones.

I usually have my straps set at a sort of compromise length, loose
enough to flip into very quickly, but tight enough to provide just a
bit of security against foot slips. They're tight enough that I can
bunny hop, which is good enough for me.

- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot October 6th 12 07:25 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Saturday, October 6, 2012 1:53:52 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

That's how I have my toe straps adjusted in city riding. I'm really glad that I found some cleats for my old Shimano N600 pedals as I really like those pedals. I was really lucky to be able to get four of those cleats. I bought the second pair for a spare set.

These cleats are interesting in that each cleat is composed of two interlocking pieces but comes with three parts per cleat. By changing the front section of the cleat you can assemble them for triangular type Shimano pedals or regular quill type pedals.

Cheers

Lou Holtman[_5_] October 6th 12 07:59 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

Op zaterdag 6 oktober 2012 11:38:08 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot het volgende:

[...]

There is no need to justify your choices and/or preferences Peter.

Lou

Jay Beattie October 6th 12 08:01 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 6, 10:53*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Based on all the trick riding I see, you don't need to be clipped in
to bunny hop the bike -- but I find it hard to do on a road bike
without clips, so I must be a flounder -- although the last time I
rode on a platform with no clips, I was in an ortho-boot, so that may
explain why I was having trouble bunny hopping.

-- Jay Beattie.

Frank Krygowski[_2_] October 7th 12 12:09 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 6, 3:01*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:53*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I usually have my straps set at a sort of compromise length, loose
enough to flip into very quickly, but tight enough to provide just a
bit of security against foot slips. *They're tight enough that I can
bunny hop, which is good enough for me.

Based on all the trick riding I see, you don't need to be clipped in
to bunny hop the bike -- but I find it hard to do on a road bike
without clips, so I must be a flounder...

I just tried it, to be sure of my memory. As I thought, I can get the
rear wheel up just a little, maybe a couple inches, on a bike without
clips. That's my retro 3 speed. I seem to be pushing a bit rearward
on the pedals to do it, which seems to be the same thing I see in
videos like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o although
there's obviously a lot more going on with someone at that skill
level. For example, he temporarily repeals the law of gravity...

- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski[_2_] October 7th 12 12:13 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 6, 2:59*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

True. In fact, any discussions at all are entirely optional. One can
always just ride bikes and never mention them to others.

- Frank Krygowski

datakoll October 7th 12 12:32 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

educational...tho I carried a similar opinion of TdF frame sales, the roots were unknown.

Dan O October 7th 12 05:46 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 6, 4:09 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Oct 6, 3:01 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Oct 6, 10:53 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I usually have my straps set at a sort of compromise length, loose
enough to flip into very quickly, but tight enough to provide just a
bit of security against foot slips. They're tight enough that I can
bunny hop, which is good enough for me.

Based on all the trick riding I see, you don't need to be clipped in
to bunny hop the bike -- but I find it hard to do on a road bike
without clips, so I must be a flounder...

I just tried it, to be sure of my memory. As I thought, I can get the
rear wheel up just a little, maybe a couple inches, on a bike without
clips. That's my retro 3 speed. I seem to be pushing a bit rearward
on the pedals to do it, which seems to be the same thing I see in
videos likehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o

Look at ~2:00. See how his weight goes way back to lift the front end,
then, springing off the pedals, he leaps into the air, chasing the
front end with his body mass, until the handlebars are in his lap.
The rear wheel is still on the ground. Then he fluidly but
instantaneously transfers his body's inertia to the bike via the
handlebars. See how his elbows and knees - fully extended a fraction
of a second before - are bent at the top and the bike has come up
underneath him? There's no lifting it by the pedals.

I don't know if I've really got it figured out, but for me I think
it's almost all through the handlebars.

... although
there's obviously a lot more going on with someone at that skill
level. For example, he temporarily repeals the law of gravity...

Nice to see you embracing the inexplicable, but as we know (despite
whatever the preacher sells you on Sunday), nature and physics do not
ever take a break. If you ask him how he does it, he might say, "Ride
Bike!" If you had asked Jimi Hendrix how he plays the guitar...

Joe Riel October 7th 12 06:59 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

Dan O writes:

[...]

An impulsive force applied to the handlebars and in a direction directly
away from the center of mass of the bike will do the trick. To verify
that, stand in front of the bike and apply such an impulse; both wheels
will leave the ground simultaneously. Alas, applying the same impulsive
force while riding the bike is quite awkward (try it, you'll see). The
way I believe it is done is in two steps: an upward pull, then a forward
push. Those can be efficiently applied and since the average direction
of the two force is through the CoM the result is nearly the same.

--
Joe Riel

datakoll October 7th 12 01:34 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

there's a cable attached to the rider....

kinda lika jack knife dive into water.

one would believe lifting with feet/abdomen transfering that motion to the bars thru shoulders is a complete body motion.

its easy to do...getting effective height and control is difficult.

Dan O October 7th 12 04:14 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 6, 10:59 pm, Joe Riel wrote:
Dan O writes:
[...]

Right, note in the video how when Danny lifts the whole bike into the
air at once his arms usually end up extended. I think it involves
lifting the front end and launching yourself up right behind it, then
thrusting the bars forward, rotating the bike in space underneath him,
bringing the rear wheel up along with the front - the relative inertia
of his upward flying body mass to maintain the front end off the
ground - viola! - both wheels off the ground.

It kind of cracks me up that Frank keeps his straps loose for
virtually no backward retention, thinks the retention is where he
applies force to bunnyhop, then thinks the force he applies is
backward at the pedal.

Frank Krygowski[_2_] October 7th 12 08:23 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 7, 1:59*am, Joe Riel wrote:
Dan O writes:
[...]

That sounds like a possibility to me. However, when I do it on a flat
pedal bike, I certainly get the impression my feet are pushing a bit
backward on the pedals, and sort of trying to claw them upward, with
my toes pointed downward. I'm trying to understand that sensation.
(In the videos, it looks like the rider's toes are pointed down, too.)

I'll get more serious than I was a couple posts ago (since nobody
really repeals the law of gravity):

To understand a bike being bunny hopped, I think it may help to think
about how a skateboard is bunny hopped. The processes aren't the same
(there's obviously no direct upward pull from the shoes on the
skateboard) but I think there are some similarities.

As I understand it, the skater jumps his own body mass upward. That's
easy. And he'll soon lift his legs upward after his main body mass.
But (nearly) simultaneously with the initial jump, he kicks down on
the tail of the board. That levers the rest of the board upward,
pivoting on the rear wheels. The board's center of mass is rising, so
it's got upward inertia. It's also got rotational inertia, i.e. it's
starting to do a backwards somersault. But a split second later, the
skater's up-in-the-air foot applies downward force at the front half
of the board to level it and stop that backwards rotation. So in that
way, a pair of downward forces can produce upward motion of the board.

So how much of this applies to jumping a flat pedaled bike?
Certainly, the mass of the rider moves upward. But unlike the
skateboard, he certainly applies a direct upward pull on the
handlebars as his own body mass rises. That's easy to feel, and easy
to see in the videos.

But so far, all that's got us is a wheelie. Does the rider then push
either forward on the bars (as Joe says) or downward on the bars
(corresponding to the finish of the skateboard trick)? Seems either
might work. And what, if anything, happens with the feet?

It's raining pretty hard here right now, or I'd go out and play around
trying to feel what I'm doing. But again, I'm hampered by simple lack
of skill. I have to sense the forces during the brief duration of my
tiny flat pedal bunny hop. Maybe someone more skilled can use their
longer air time to analyze this?

- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski[_2_] October 7th 12 08:34 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 7, 11:14*am, Dan O wrote:

It kind of cracks me up that Frank keeps his straps loose for
virtually no backward retention, thinks the retention is where he
applies force to bunnyhop, then thinks the force he applies is
backward at the pedal.

I believe the foot technique is much different with my clips-and-
straps pedals, compared to my flat pedals. Certainly, the height I
can get is much different.

I just posted speculation about how a flat pedal bunny hop is done,
which is not saying I understand it completely. As I said, with flat
pedals I get the sensation of clawing upward and backward with my toes-
pointed-downward feet. Maybe that's an illusion, I don't know.

But when I do a hop with clips and straps, that "backward" sensation
is absent, and my toes don't point down at all. What I feel is much
simpler: I jump my body upward, then I pull the bike upward after
myself, exerting upward force on the bars (with my hands) and the
pedal straps (with my feet).

I've done that so many hundreds of times for so many years, with
anything from an empty bike to a commuting bike with variously loaded
briefcases, that I'd be astonished at proof that I'm not pulling
directly upward on those straps.

- Frank Krygowski

AMuzi October 7th 12 09:16 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On 10/7/2012 2:34 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Oct 7, 11:14 am, Dan O wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear....1.Zb5U9aCBNPE

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/99p39s2

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Joe Riel October 7th 12 10:15 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

Frank Krygowski writes:

On Oct 7, 1:59Â*am, Joe Riel wrote:
Dan O writes:
On Oct 6, 4:09 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Oct 6, 3:01 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Oct 6, 10:53 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I usually have my straps set at a sort of compromise length, loose
enough to flip into very quickly, but tight enough to provide just a
bit of security against foot slips. Â*They're tight enough that I can
bunny hop, which is good enough for me.

Based on all the trick riding I see, you don't need to be clipped in
to bunny hop the bike -- but I find it hard to do on a road bike
without clips, so I must be a flounder...

I just tried it, to be sure of my memory. Â*As I thought, I can get the
rear wheel up just a little, maybe a couple inches, on a bike without
clips. Â*That's my retro 3 speed. Â*I seem to be pushing a bit rearward
on the pedals to do it, which seems to be the same thing I see in
videos likehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o

Look at ~2:00. See how his weight goes way back to lift the front end,
then, springing off the pedals, he leaps into the air, chasing the
front end with his body mass, until the handlebars are in his lap.
The rear wheel is still on the ground. Â*Then he fluidly but
instantaneously transfers his body's inertia to the bike via the
handlebars. Â*See how his elbows and knees - fully extended a fraction
of a second before - are bent at the top and the bike has come up
underneath him? Â*There's no lifting it by the pedals.

I don't know if I've really got it figured out, but for me I think
it's almost all through the handlebars.

An impulsive force applied to the handlebars and in a direction directly
away from the center of mass of the bike will do the trick. Â*To verify
that, stand in front of the bike and apply such an impulse; both wheels
will leave the ground simultaneously. Â*Alas, applying the same impulsive
force while riding the bike is quite awkward (try it, you'll see). Â*The
way I believe it is done is in two steps: an upward pull, then a forward
push. Â*Those can be efficiently applied and since the average direction
[...]

Something I did a dozen years or so ago was to stand on two low
sawhorses, one on each side of the bike, and from there test stategies
for yanking on the bars. That made experimenting easy. Doing so showed
me that it really wasn't practical to get the rear wheels off the ground
with a uni-direction yank; our body really isn't designed to do
that in the required direction. Nor was was yanking while applying a
torque to the bars (something I'd heard) feasible, at least not for me.
What did work was the lift and push.

I won't be attempting bunny hops any time soon. A month ago the front
wheel slid in a corner I've rounded a thousand times (downhill, slightly
offcamber). Don't know what I did wrong; I always go around the corner
aggressively, but assumed I had a reasonable safety margin. Apparently
the margin was exceeded. Cleanly broke the trochanter. Now I'm
sporting a 10 inch rod in the femur with a four inch screw through
trochanter. Have been walking with a cane for about two weeks now
(that's better than using a walker). Need to do something for an
aerobic workout, probably will be using the rowing machine for a awhile,
though could try the turbo-trainer.

--
Joe Riel

datakoll October 8th 12 12:27 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

bummmer...the greater or lesser trochanter ? yawl losing bone mass ?

did you try spinning thru getting off into the part 2 hop from bottom spin ?

the Utubers are terrific,,,fluid.

Sir Ridesalot October 8th 12 12:39 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 7, 11:14 am, Dan O wrote:

[...]

Sure looks like the front wheel comes off high first and then the rear wheel is raised by rotating the rear end up which is aided by the low air pressure in the tire.

Cheers

Joe Riel October 8th 12 02:21 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

datakoll writes:

bummmer...the greater or lesser trochanter ? yawl losing bone mass ?

Not sure, maybe both. That is, the break was in the thicker part of the
bone that connects the main part of the femur to the head (which makes
up the hip joint). I've got osteoporosis (a result of genetics, maybe
cycling, and malabsorption due to a major resection of the small
intestine), so was pretty sure something had broken after the crash. It
didn't hurt, I just couldn't move the leg.

--
Joe Riel

Dan O October 8th 12 02:22 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 7, 2:15 pm, Joe Riel wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:
On Oct 7, 1:59 am, Joe Riel wrote:
Dan O writes:
[...]

I just got on my bike and went out in the street Rode Bike! and
*willed* the bike into the air. That's why I still sound uncertain
when explaining it. That's why I get so incensed when Frank discounts
what a rider "feels". "Those who can, do. Those who can't... "

I won't be attempting bunny hops any time soon. A month ago the front
wheel slid in a corner I've rounded a thousand times (downhill, slightly
offcamber).

Hate when that happens (losing the front end).

Don't know what I did wrong; I always go around the corner
aggressively, but assumed I had a reasonable safety margin. Apparently
the margin was exceeded.

I used to be a flattrack motorcycle racer, so sliding sideways is a
fish in water kind of thing, and as a kid on a bicycle spent about as
much time sideways as wheelying. If traction was iffy in a turn, I'd
bust the rear tire loose, at which point you're steering with the rear
wheel, and forces that would compromise front end traction vanish. I
*relished* slick turns.

As a longer distance bicycle rider now, I have become more hung up on
things like conserving momentum, so ride more conventionally "road
style", and consequently feel the fear of losing the front end, and
don't push it when I suspect iffy traction. I've lost the front end
a couple of times on the road in recent years (once on frezzing fog -
idiot! - and once on a what I will presume was a petroleum spill
adjacent to a gas station). Another time I was coming down a hill,
making a fast turn on the paved shoulder (there are paint markings on
this turn that I avoid having slipped on them), hit some sand or
something and the front end started to go, but luckily I had sort of
panic braked - both brakes - and broke the rear wheel loose. This was
quite the thrilling moment - clipped into my SPuDs w/ both wheels
sliding as I passed a pickup truck on the inside.

But I do take it easy a lot more in my old age, and worried that I was
losing my skill or something, but just rode over to the baseball
diamond a little bit ago and pitched the wheelie bike sideways a
couple times in the dry dirt - (barefoot), no brakes, no problem.
When I was a kid I would throw just about any bike sideways any time
even on dry pavement - wide handebars help - which was in fact my
braking technique on one bike with freewheel and no brakes. Ah,
invincible youth :-)

Cleanly broke the trochanter. Now I'm
sporting a 10 inch rod in the femur with a four inch screw through
trochanter. Have been walking with a cane for about two weeks now
(that's better than using a walker). Need to do something for an
aerobic workout, probably will be using the rowing machine for a awhile,
though could try the turbo-trainer.

Ouch! Sending out positive waves for a full recovery.

Kerry Montgomery October 8th 12 02:30 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

"Joe Riel" wrote in message
Frank Krygowski writes:

On Oct 7, 1:59 am, Joe Riel wrote:
Dan O writes:
[...]

Joe Riel,
Sorry to hear it. Hope you have a fast recovery,
Kerry

datakoll October 8th 12 02:39 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

Not sure, maybe both.

Your problem reinforces the Brandt Curve, where I should slow down another 5%

Jay Beattie October 8th 12 02:55 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 7, 2:15*pm, Joe Riel wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:
On Oct 7, 1:59*am, Joe Riel wrote:
Dan O writes:
[...]

Wow, do they place an IM rod for a trochanter or did you break the
femur too? The amazing thing is being on a cane in a couple of weeks
after surgery.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jay Beattie October 8th 12 03:18 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 7, 6:22*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Oct 7, 2:15 pm, Joe Riel wrote:

Frank Krygowski writes:
On Oct 7, 1:59 am, Joe Riel wrote:
Dan O writes:
[...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...14GN2_zNE&NR=1
Most of us aren't that skilled or aren't ready for the total loss of
front wheel traction.

Jay Beattie

Dan O October 8th 12 04:17 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 7, 7:18 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Oct 7, 6:22 pm, Dan O wrote:

[In which Dan brags of glory days and tries to convey a *touch* of
what it is to Ride Bike to poor hapless Frank... ]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...14GN2_zNE&NR=1
Most of us aren't that skilled or aren't ready for the total loss of
front wheel traction.

"... total loss of front wheel traction."

Hate when that happens. It's all over. BTDT. Know the feeling. Got
the t-shirt. Bled on it.

Joe Riel October 8th 12 05:43 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

Jay Beattie writes:

Dan O writes:
[...]

That sounds like a possibility to me. Â*However, when I do it on a flat
pedal bike, I certainly get the impression my feet are pushing a bit
backward on the pedals, and sort of trying to claw them upward, with
my toes pointed downward. Â*I'm trying to understand that sensation.
(In the videos, it looks like the rider's toes are pointed down, too.)

I'll get more serious than I was a couple posts ago (since nobody
really repeals the law of gravity):

To understand a bike being bunny hopped, I think it may help to think
about how a skateboard is bunny hopped. Â*The processes aren't the same
(there's obviously no direct upward pull from the shoes on the
skateboard) but I think there are some similarities.

As I understand it, the skater jumps his own body mass upward. Â*That's
easy. Â*And he'll soon lift his legs upward after his main body mass.
But (nearly) simultaneously with the initial jump, he kicks down on
the tail of the board. Â*That levers the rest of the board upward,
pivoting on the rear wheels. Â*The board's center of mass is rising, so
it's got upward inertia. Â*It's also got rotational inertia, i.e. it's
starting to do a backwards somersault. Â*But a split second later, the
skater's up-in-the-air foot applies downward force at the front half
of the board to level it and stop that backwards rotation. Â*So in that
way, a pair of downward forces can produce upward motion of the board.

So how much of this applies to jumping a flat pedaled bike?
Certainly, the mass of the rider moves upward. Â*But unlike the
skateboard, he certainly applies a direct upward pull on the
handlebars as his own body mass rises. Â*That's easy to feel, and easy
to see in the videos.

But so far, all that's got us is a wheelie. Â*Does the rider then push
either forward on the bars (as Joe says) or downward on the bars
(corresponding to the finish of the skateboard trick)? Â*Seems either
might work. Â*And what, if anything, happens with the feet?

It's raining pretty hard here right now, or I'd go out and play around
trying to feel what I'm doing. Â*But again, I'm hampered by simple lack
of skill. Â*I have to sense the forces during the brief duration of my
tiny flat pedal bunny hop. Â*Maybe someone more skilled can use their
longer air time to analyze this?

- Frank Krygowski

Something I did a dozen years or so ago was to stand on two low
sawhorses, one on each side of the bike, and from there test stategies
for yanking on the bars. Â*That made experimenting easy. Â*Doing so showed
me that it really wasn't practical to get the rear wheels off the ground
with a uni-direction yank; our body really isn't designed to do
that in the required direction. Â*Nor was was yanking while applying a
torque to the bars (something I'd heard) feasible, at least not for me.
What did work was the lift and push.

I won't be attempting bunny hops any time soon. Â*A month ago the front
wheel slid in a corner I've rounded a thousand times (downhill, slightly
offcamber). Â*Don't know what I did wrong; I always go around the corner
aggressively, but assumed I had a reasonable safety margin. Â*Apparently
the margin was exceeded. Â*Cleanly broke the trochanter. Â*Now I'm
sporting a 10 inch rod in the femur with a four inch screw through
trochanter. Â*Have been walking with a cane for about two weeks now
(that's better than using a walker). Â*Need to do something for an
aerobic workout, probably will be using the rowing machine for a awhile,
though could try the turbo-trainer.

Wow, do they place an IM rod for a trochanter or did you break the
femur too? The amazing thing is being on a cane in a couple of weeks
after surgery.

What's IM stand for? The main part of the femur didn't break. I'm
pretty sure the rod in the femur is to support the screw/pin that goes
through the trochanter (or whatever the part that connects to the ball
joint is called). That screw is mechanically attached to the rod in the
femur. There was also a secondary fracture of part of the trochanter
that was left alone. From the X-rays I saw it seemed minor (i.e. not
involved with support, etc).

Yeah, my progress has been fairly quick, though am expecting a bit of a
plateau soon enough. The acute rehab facility had me practice going
up/down the fire-escape stairs using a cane less than a week after the
crash; that was because I needed to learn to negotiate the stairs in my
house which only have a handrail on one side. Stairs with handrails on
both sides are trivial. Once home, I switched to a crutch for the
stairs because it was more stable; used a walker otherwise.

I can now walk without a cane, but it's not comfortable, too much
compensation is required 'cause the glutes, etc, are too weak. With the
cane, I can introduce a small torque that helps align the hips.

--
Joe Riel

Jay Beattie October 8th 12 03:23 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 7, 9:43*pm, Joe Riel wrote:
Jay Beattie writes:
On Oct 7, 2:15*pm, Joe Riel wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:
On Oct 7, 1:59*am, Joe Riel wrote:
Dan O writes:
[...]

IM stands for intermedullary -- within the marrow cavity of a bone. So
they drill out the marrow cavity and drive in a rod or "nail," usually
to stabilize a fracture, but in your case, it sounds like they used it
as some sort of anchor for the the screw through the trochanter.

People with leg fractures usually spend months on crutches, so you're
doing great. Now you have to go back to the scene of the crime and
figure out what happened.

Sort of OT, but I was descending a familiar hill and slid out and
crashed and broke a few ribs but no major bones. A week or so later I
felt good enough to go riding, and while descending yet another hill,
I developed a huge shimmy -- so bad, I had trouble steering he bike to
a stop. This was on a bike that had never had a shimmy and on a hill
I had ridden hundreds of times. It was all due to nerves. Apart from
your physical rehab, it takes a little while to get over the
psychological effect of crashing. I'm doing a lot of riding with a
guy who was hit by a car in an intersection in spring, and apart from
recovering from having his clavicle resected, he is nervous around
cars now -- particularly at intersections. He has a tendency to jam
on his brakes at odd moments, making drafting a little challenging.

-- Jay Beattie.

Joe Riel October 8th 12 04:34 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

Jay Beattie writes:

Dan O writes:
[...]

What's IM stand for? Â*The main part of the femur didn't break. Â*I'm
pretty sure the rod in the femur is to support the screw/pin that goes
through the trochanter (or whatever the part that connects to the ball
joint is called). Â*That screw is mechanically attached to the rod in the
femur. Â*There was also a secondary fracture of part of the trochanter
that was left alone. Â*From the X-rays I saw it seemed minor (i.e. not
involved with support, etc).

Yeah, my progress has been fairly quick, though am expecting a bit of a
plateau soon enough. Â*The acute rehab facility had me practice going
up/down the fire-escape stairs using a cane less than a week after the
crash; that was because I needed to learn to negotiate the stairs in my
house which only have a handrail on one side. Â*Stairs with handrails on
both sides are trivial. Â*Once home, I switched to a crutch for the
stairs because it was more stable; used a walker otherwise.

I can now walk without a cane, but it's not comfortable, too much
compensation is required 'cause the glutes, etc, are too weak. Â*With the
cane, I can introduce a small torque that helps align the hips.

IM stands for intermedullary -- within the marrow cavity of a bone. So
they drill out the marrow cavity and drive in a rod or "nail," usually
to stabilize a fracture, but in your case, it sounds like they used it
as some sort of anchor for the the screw through the trochanter.

People with leg fractures usually spend months on crutches, so you're
doing great. Now you have to go back to the scene of the crime and
figure out what happened.

It was a block away from home---I was returning from a ride. I've
walked by it several times recently and didn't learn anything. That day
was hot (+95F), with high humidity. On the ride I felt sporadic rain
drops, but never saw any moisture on the road and doubt that was an
issue. A cyclist next door suggested that the heat could have softened
the tar strip used to repair a crack in the road, however, that runs
across the road, so I would have been crossing it (it's less than two
inches wide)---seems unlikely to be a factor. My current hypothesis was
rider error. I was riding the Moulton, and, while I've been around that
corner on the Moulton many times, most were a few years ago when
returning from a daily commute. Now most of my riding [and hard
cornering] is done on a regular road bike, and the handling is
significantly different; the Moulton responds much faster. I still
haven't made a serious inspection of the Moulton---it appears to have
just cosmetic damage to the right side bar tape where the bike slid.

Sort of OT, but I was descending a familiar hill and slid out and
crashed and broke a few ribs but no major bones. A week or so later I
felt good enough to go riding, and while descending yet another hill,
I developed a huge shimmy -- so bad, I had trouble steering he bike to
a stop. This was on a bike that had never had a shimmy and on a hill
I had ridden hundreds of times. It was all due to nerves. Apart from
your physical rehab, it takes a little while to get over the
psychological effect of crashing. I'm doing a lot of riding with a
guy who was hit by a car in an intersection in spring, and apart from
recovering from having his clavicle resected, he is nervous around
cars now -- particularly at intersections. He has a tendency to jam
on his brakes at odd moments, making drafting a little challenging.

Yeah, that will be interesting, seeing how I deal with it.

I was wondering what would have happened if I crashed further from home.
That is, a woman in the neighborhood stopped, called 911, and later
dropped my bike off at my house. What is the usual protocol when on the
road? Would the paramedics bring the bike to the hospital? Seems
unlikely, but leaving/losing it would have added insult to injury (I
was riding alone).

--
Joe Riel

Frank Krygowski[_2_] October 8th 12 05:22 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 7, 5:15*pm, Joe Riel wrote:

I won't be attempting bunny hops any time soon. *A month ago the front
wheel slid in a corner I've rounded a thousand times (downhill, slightly
offcamber). *Don't know what I did wrong; I always go around the corner
aggressively, but assumed I had a reasonable safety margin. *Apparently
the margin was exceeded. *Cleanly broke the trochanter.

Wow. Sorry to hear it.

- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski[_2_] October 8th 12 05:52 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ny+hop+a+bicyc....

or

http://preview.tinyurl.com/99p39s2

Ah, good!

Looks to me like that verifies a lot of what Joe and I were saying.
He pulls up on the bars. But he doesn't jump up at the beginning;
instead, he gets his weight "as far back as you can," sort of kicking
his center of mass downward and backwards with respect to the bike
just before pulling the front wheel up. (That's a lot easier with a
short wheelbase BMX bike and low saddle.)

As the front wheel begins rising, he jumps his center of mass upward.
You can see his legs straighten.

Then comes the "scoop with your feet" that he mentions, the toes-down
action I described that helps kick the rear of the bike upward. He
also mentions a "J motion" of the hands, which corresponds to what Joe
was saying.

Oddly, he doesn't seem to mention that he "*willed* the bike into the
air." Since he's trying to _teach_ people, maybe he thought such
hocus-pocus language wasn't particularly helpful?

- Frank Krygowski

Frank Krygowski[_2_] October 8th 12 06:18 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 8, 10:23*am, Jay Beattie wrote:

Sort of OT, but I was descending a familiar hill and slid out and
crashed and broke a few ribs but no major bones. *A week or so later I
felt good enough to go riding, and while descending yet another hill,
I developed a huge shimmy -- so bad, I had trouble steering he bike to
a stop. *This was on a bike that had never had a shimmy and on a hill
I had ridden hundreds of times. *It was all due to nerves.

That's really interesting. It seems very likely that a person's
shaking or trembling from nervousness would be within range of a
bike's resonant frequency for lateral vibration. Talk about a
feedback loop! Nervousness inducing shimmy, shimmy inducing more
nervousness...

Apart from
your physical rehab, it takes a little while to get over the
psychological effect of crashing. *I'm doing a lot of riding with a
guy who was hit by a car in an intersection in spring, and apart from
recovering from having his clavicle resected, he is nervous around
cars now -- particularly at intersections. *He has a tendency to jam
on his brakes at odd moments, making drafting a little challenging.

Fear can be terrible. One of my good friends experienced a near crash
on a long, fast downhill. As he told it (I wasn't there), his front
tire blew out but stayed on the rim. He panicked and locked up his
rear, which also blew out. He skidded across the oncoming lane and
stopped upright on the shoulder. No crash, but he never recovered
psychologically. Afterwards he was unable to descend at more than
about 10 mph; he was literally slower downhill than uphill. He gave
up riding soon after.

But that brings up another feedback loop. I recall from my mountain
biking days that there were obstacles I'd try to "clean" (in the
observed trials sense) that were impossible unless I committed to
taking the risk of a fall. I think a more cautious person couldn't
pull it off at all, and the failure to pull it off would lead to more
nervousness.

I can envision that phenomenon working in lots of different
situations, everything from giving a speech to controlling a narrow
lane.

- Frank Krygowski

Dan O October 8th 12 11:11 PM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Oct 8, 10:18*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

snip

But that brings up another feedback loop. *I recall from my mountain
biking days that there were obstacles I'd try to "clean" (in the
observed trials sense) that were impossible unless I committed to
taking the risk of a fall.

And I find some things I try to do involve significant risk of falling
out of bed ;-)

*I think a more cautious person couldn't
pull it off at all, and the failure to pull it off would lead to more
nervousness.

I can envision that phenomenon working in lots of different
situations, everything from giving a speech to controlling a narrow
lane.

La vida loca!

Joy Beeson October 9th 12 05:59 AM

UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 08:34:12 -0700, Joe Riel wrote:

Would the paramedics bring the bike to the hospital?

A deputy took my bike, after establishing that no other vehicle had
been involved. My spouse retrieved it from the sheriff's sub-station,
and was annoyed that they didn't ask for proof that he was my spouse.
--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net