CycleBanter.com

-   -   Rohloff non-OEM hub in Rohloff OEM frame? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=147561)

Konstantin Shemyak October 19th 06 12:21 PM

Rohloff non-OEM hub in Rohloff OEM frame?

I have an oldish frame with horizontal dropouts, and I am considering
trying out a Rohloff hub for it. A non-OEM version is needed, one with
the lever going along the left chainstay.

Now, if I like the hub and decide to build a bike on a new frame,
it will be the frame with Rohloff-specific sliding dropouts. (I do
not want a chain tensioner, and horizontal dropouts are rarity
nowadays; also wheel removal is easier without the chainstay lever.)
Can the non-OEM hub be directly used in OEM dropouts?
If not, is the conversion as easy as changing some side plate?

Thanks in advance.

--
Konstantin Shemyak
My Nexus-7 tandem with kidback for riding with two kids:

Dan Burkhart October 19th 06 01:37 PM

Konstantin Shemyak Wrote:
I have an oldish frame with horizontal dropouts, and I am considering
trying out a Rohloff hub for it. A non-OEM version is needed, one with
the lever going along the left chainstay.

Now, if I like the hub and decide to build a bike on a new frame,
it will be the frame with Rohloff-specific sliding dropouts. (I do
not want a chain tensioner, and horizontal dropouts are rarity
nowadays; also wheel removal is easier without the chainstay lever.)
Can the non-OEM hub be directly used in OEM dropouts?
If not, is the conversion as easy as changing some side plate?

Thanks in advance.

--
Konstantin Shemyak
My Nexus-7 tandem with kidback for riding with two kids:
http://konstantin.shemyak.com/cycling/Tandem

You can swap the axle plate with no problem to convert to OEM
dropouts. Just be sure you can safely use a QR axle in your current
frame before ordering the hub. If it has thin stamped dropouts, you may
need to go with the threaded spindle, and then you would pretty much be
stuck with that if you put it in a new bike, because the axle is not
such an easy swap.
I'm currently putting one in a recumbent with forged (Thick)
horizontal dropouts and I don't anticipate problems with the QR,
particularly because the original wheel was quick release and I had no
issues with it.
Dan

--
Dan Burkhart

(PeteCresswell) October 19th 06 02:09 PM

Rohloff non-OEM hub in Rohloff OEM frame?

Per Konstantin Shemyak:
Now, if I like the hub and decide to build a bike on a new frame,
it will be the frame with Rohloff-specific sliding dropouts. (I do
not want a chain tensioner, and horizontal dropouts are rarity
nowadays; also wheel removal is easier without the chainstay lever.)
Can the non-OEM hub be directly used in OEM dropouts?

I'm not sure what "non-OEM" means, but if your hub has the longish torque arm
that hose-clips the a chain stay I'd say the answer is "yes".

What you're looking for from Rohloff is something they call "SpeedBone". It
allows using the disc brake mounting holes to perform the torque arm's function
- yet still allows mounting a disc brake.

Be prepared for a little sticker shock though... it looks simple, but it's not
cheap.
--
PeteCresswell

Dan Burkhart October 19th 06 02:31 PM

Rohloff non-OEM hub in Rohloff OEM frame?

(PeteCresswell) Wrote:
Per Konstantin Shemyak:
[...]

The OEM axle plate eliminates the need for either the torque arm or
the speedbone. The OEM dropout has an extra long slot to mate with a
rectangular key (for lack of a better term)on the OEM axle plate.
Dan

--
Dan Burkhart