CycleBanter.com

-   -   Threaded - Threadless quill adapter (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=96353)

Sir Topham Hatt August 13th 05 04:38 AM

Threaded - Threadless quill adapter

Other than ITM and Cinelli, is there a lightweight quill adapter out there?
I need a 1 inch threaded to 1 1/8" threadless.

thxs

JeffWills August 13th 05 05:02 AM

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
Other than ITM and Cinelli, is there a lightweight quill adapter out there?
I need a 1 inch threaded to 1 1/8" threadless.

thxs

That depends on what you mean by "lightweight". I found Profile and
Zoom, also:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.c...nds=All&type=T

Jeff

waxbytes August 13th 05 05:05 AM

Sir Topham Hatt Wrote:
Other than ITM and Cinelli, is there a lightweight quill adapter ou
there
I need a 1 inch threaded to 1 1/8" threadless

thxs

Nashbar sells on
http://tinyurl.com/794l9

--
waxbytes

richard August 13th 05 12:38 PM

Threaded - Threadless quill adapter

Well, when I was forced to use such a setup (worst of both worlds!), my
stem came with a shim. Perhaps you know either of a shop that sells
Ritchey or someone with a Ritchey WCS stem and a 1 1/8" steer tube?
Perhaps a shop can order you one?

What I learned the hard way - you cannot possibly get the clamp tight
enough - you MUST have a stack of spacers between the stem and the HS
nut! On TOMRV, it was rather tiresome and nerve-racking stopping to
loosen the bolts and move the stem back up where it belonged several
times between DuBuque and Bettendorf...

Qui si parla Campagnolo August 13th 05 02:58 PM

Sir Topham Hatt wrote:
Other than ITM and Cinelli, is there a lightweight quill adapter out there?
I need a 1 inch threaded to 1 1/8" threadless.

thxs

Profile, works great. Cinelli in our experience is a bit undersized and
you cannot keep the stem tight.

A Muzi August 13th 05 10:29 PM

and then richard wrote:
Well, when I was forced to use such a setup (worst of

both worlds!), my
stem came with a shim. Perhaps you know either of a shop

that sells
Ritchey or someone with a Ritchey WCS stem and a 1 1/8"

steer tube?
Perhaps a shop can order you one?
What I learned the hard way - you cannot possibly get the

clamp tight
enough - you MUST have a stack of spacers between the

stem and the HS
nut! On TOMRV, it was rather tiresome and nerve-racking

stopping to
loosen the bolts and move the stem back up where it

belonged several
times between DuBuque and Bettendorf...

There's no inherent reason for that. The 3ttt as well as
the Delta are positive and reliable once a moment's
attention is paid to proper lubrication and torque. The
adapter wedge bolt is not any different from the stem you
removed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

richard August 13th 05 11:34 PM

Threaded - Threadless quill adapter

Sure there is! There IS no wedge bolt except the one down inside the
steering tube. NOW, unless the stem is all the way down on the HS lock
nut, well, that's were it wants to end up. The adaptor won't go down
any lower, but the stem will certaily slide down the adaptor...

A Muzi August 14th 05 01:20 AM

And then richard wrote:
Sure there is! There IS no wedge bolt except the one

down inside the
steering tube. NOW, unless the stem is all the way down

on the HS lock
nut, well, that's were it wants to end up. The adaptor

won't go down
any lower, but the stem will certaily slide down the

adaptor...

Right. Lubricate the thread, the wedge and the base of the
head of that expander. Torque to 25~30Nm. Then remove the
threadless stem attaching bolts. Lube those too and torque
to manufacturer's spec ( some are 5mm, some 6mm) in line
with the front wheel.

As with any handlebar/stem installation, stand in front of
the bike and hang in midair on the brake levers with both
hands, then with the front wheel between your knees ensure
the stem moves in the fork but only under extreme pressure.

Early recessed expander stems shipped with long allen keys
and a small tube to extend the driven side. Use a similar
setup or a large T-handle allen wrench to get proper torque
and always check the installation before riding or, even
more importantly, before someone else rides it.

Zog The Undeniable August 14th 05 07:49 PM

richard wrote:

Well, when I was forced to use such a setup (worst of both worlds!), my
stem came with a shim. Perhaps you know either of a shop that sells
Ritchey or someone with a Ritchey WCS stem and a 1 1/8" steer tube?
Perhaps a shop can order you one?

What I learned the hard way - you cannot possibly get the clamp tight
enough - you MUST have a stack of spacers between the stem and the HS
nut!

I used one briefly. I just tightened the stem onto the adapter then
used it like a normal quill stem. No problems. Were you using a 1 1/8"
stem with a shim? These *do* sometimes benefit from a thin spacer above
the stem.