CycleBanter.com

-   -   Spoke deflection - force (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=243019)

Király December 11th 13 09:45 PM

Spoke deflection - force

I built a wheel yesterday. Older 36H Shimano 105 hub, DT TK540 rim, DT
Competition spokes, butted 14/15/14. Will be used for commuting and
heavy loaded touring.

After truing and tensioning to about what I thought "felt right",
I measured deflection with the Park tool at about 17 on each spoke. This
guide tells me that for a 15 gauge steel spoke, that amount of
deflection equals 70 kgf:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...on-measurement

DT's spec on that rim is for a maximum of 122 kgf (1200 N) per spoke.

Whaddya think? A little tighter?

--
K.

Lang may yer lum reek.

AMuzi December 11th 13 10:06 PM

Spoke deflection - force

On 12/11/2013 3:45 PM, Kiraly wrote:
I built a wheel yesterday. Older 36H Shimano 105 hub, DT TK540 rim, DT
Competition spokes, butted 14/15/14. Will be used for commuting and
heavy loaded touring.

After truing and tensioning to about what I thought "felt right",
I measured deflection with the Park tool at about 17 on each spoke. This
guide tells me that for a 15 gauge steel spoke, that amount of
deflection equals 70 kgf:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...on-measurement

DT's spec on that rim is for a maximum of 122 kgf (1200 N) per spoke.

Whaddya think? A little tighter?

Yes, use rim maker's value, assuming you have brass nipples
with lubrication.
Aluminum or dry nipples will make 122kgf a difficult goal.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

James[_8_] December 11th 13 10:14 PM

Spoke deflection - force

On 12/12/13 09:06, AMuzi wrote:

Aluminum or dry nipples will make 122kgf a difficult goal.

Push the rim sideways to temporarily reduce tension while turning the
nipple.

--
JS

[email protected] December 11th 13 11:41 PM

Spoke deflection - force

Whaddya think? A little tighter ?

top out when truing is difficult maybe near the rim spec ?or your spec /

lube flange holes with Teflon wax...fillem solid into horizontal wheel both sides.

why not 2.0 DT spokes with long nipples for long life...yours.... ? what do you gain with 14 15 14 ?
the price is interesting given exchange rates.
Same cost as

http://goo.gl/PNeHih

[email protected] December 11th 13 11:53 PM

Spoke deflection - force

tdf tdf tdf.....6 years ago finding a wide rhynolite was search n pray...

now a wheel for an REI 100 ! what ? Walmart...amazin'

Jay Beattie December 12th 13 01:40 AM

Spoke deflection - force

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 2:06:09 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/11/2013 3:45 PM, Kiraly wrote:

I built a wheel yesterday. Older 36H Shimano 105 hub, DT TK540 rim, DT

Competition spokes, butted 14/15/14. Will be used for commuting and

heavy loaded touring.

After truing and tensioning to about what I thought "felt right",

I measured deflection with the Park tool at about 17 on each spoke. This

guide tells me that for a 15 gauge steel spoke, that amount of

deflection equals 70 kgf:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-...on-measurement

DT's spec on that rim is for a maximum of 122 kgf (1200 N) per spoke.

Whaddya think? A little tighter?

Yes, use rim maker's value, assuming you have brass nipples

with lubrication.

Aluminum or dry nipples will make 122kgf a difficult goal.

I was surprised DT was spec'ing 122kgf (1200 n) -- but after looking at the rim, I can see why. https://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-Road/TK-540 That's a nice, beefy, double wall socketed rim. Heavy, but nice. You could probably wind it up higher, but I wouldn't. I can state from experience that 122kgf will kill a DT 450.

-- Jay Beattie.

Király December 12th 13 01:37 PM

Spoke deflection - force

Jay Beattie wrote:
I can state from experience that 122kgf will kill a DT 450.

Interesting - DT specs exactly that amount of spoke tension for that
rim. http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-Road/R-450

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Király December 12th 13 02:33 PM

Spoke deflection - force

wrote:
why not 2.0 DT spokes with long nipples for long life...yours.... ?
what do you gain with 14 15 14 ?

Advantages of butted spokes according to Sheldon Brown:

Double-butted spokes do more than save weight. The thick ends make them
as strong in the highly-stressed areas as straight-gauge spokes of the
same thickness, but the thinner middle sections make the spokes
effectively more elastic, allowing them to stretch (temporarily) more
than thicker spokes.

As a result, when the wheel is subjected to sharp localized stresses,
the most heavily-stressed spokes can elongate enough to shift some of
the stress to adjoining spokes. This is particularly desirable when the
limiting factor is how much stress the rim can withstand without
cracking around the spoke holes.

the price is interesting given exchange rates.
Same cost as

http://goo.gl/PNeHih

Same price? Sun Rhynolite sells for ~$25 and DT TK540 for ~$80.

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.

Jay Beattie December 12th 13 03:19 PM

Spoke deflection - force

On Thursday, December 12, 2013 5:37:38 AM UTC-8, Király wrote:
Jay Beattie wrote:

I can state from experience that 122kgf will kill a DT 450.

Interesting - DT specs exactly that amount of spoke tension for that

rim. http://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-Road/R-450

I cracked a spoke hole at that tension. My current 450s are running around 110kgf with spoke goop (boiled linseed oil). I could have gotten a bad rim. Who knows.

-- Jay Beattie.

Stephen Bauman December 12th 13 06:18 PM

Spoke deflection - force

Is this a front or rear wheel. If rear wheel, which side?

Stephen Bauman