CycleBanter.com

-   -   Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255713)

Sir Ridesalot April 10th 18 05:39 AM

Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

Just before leaving for an important appointment Monday I discovered my rear tire was flat. Didn't have a spare tube and needed to leave within minutes. Pulled off the clincher tire and tube and put on a spare tubular tire I had hanging around. Worked perfectly and allowed me to make the appointment on time. Weird combination = tubular tire on a clincher rim but it worked well enough to get me to and from the appointment.

Cheers

JBeattie April 10th 18 03:04 PM

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 9:39:31 PM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just before leaving for an important appointment Monday I discovered my rear tire was flat. Didn't have a spare tube and needed to leave within minutes. Pulled off the clincher tire and tube and put on a spare tubular tire I had hanging around. Worked perfectly and allowed me to make the appointment on time. Weird combination = tubular tire on a clincher rim but it worked well enough to get me to and from the appointment.

Cheers

O.K., you do understand that the amazing part of this story is that you didn't have a spare tube but you had a tubular tire sitting around? I also have a few sitting around, but they're probably too rotten to hold air. Tufo makes a tubular clincher which is a tubular tire with wings that lock into hooked rims, but a tube is a cheaper option for flat repair. I have lots of those sitting around.

-- Jay Beattie.

Jeff Liebermann April 10th 18 04:26 PM

Desperate needs = desperate but workable solution

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 21:39:29 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Just before leaving for an important appointment Monday I discovered my rear tire was flat. Didn't have a spare tube and needed to leave within minutes. Pulled off the clincher tire and tube and put on a spare tubular tire I had hanging around. Worked perfectly and allowed me to make the appointment on time. Weird combination = tubular tire on a clincher rim but it worked well enough to get me to and from the appointment.
Cheers

Ummm... perhaps you should carry some duct tape. There are some
articles and a few videos on how it's done.
https://www.google.com/search?q=duct+tape+bicycle+tire+patch
I've only used it once, on someone elses tire, because the rubber
cement had dried out in three out of three patch kits available. It
apparently worked as there were no threatening messages on my
answering machine when I returned home. The only real tricks that I
recall are to make sure the tube doesn't have any crud or baby powder
on the surface, and to NOT wrap the tape all the way around the tube
so that the tube can expand when pressurized.

I don't think it would have worked with narrow high pressure tires.
The one I patched was only pressurized to about 50(?) lbs. I don't
think the duct tape patch would have held at 100 lbs.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

AMuzi April 10th 18 04:27 PM

On 4/10/2018 9:04 AM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I think you meant the Clement 2001 tubular-clincher.

I loaned a new Clement silk to a guy with 27" steel rims and
a shredded Michelin Fifty once. Chewed up the sidewalls but
got him twenty miles into town. Thinking back on that, he
wasn't worth it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

JBeattie April 10th 18 06:14 PM

wrote:

[...]

The early MTB guys in Marin County would blow tubes and pack the tire with leaves and sticks. Grass will do, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfYv7l5VvY8 In an urban environment, you could probably use road-side garbage..

-- Jay Beattie.

[email protected] April 11th 18 12:16 AM

On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 10:27:41 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
I loaned a new Clement silk to a guy with 27" steel rims and
a shredded Michelin Fifty once. Chewed up the sidewalls but
got him twenty miles into town. Thinking back on that, he
wasn't worth it.

--
Andrew Muzi

Oh My!!! You high faluting, big shot, high roller bike shop owners riding your Clement Criterium Seta tubulars! Probably using your Alfredo Binda toe straps on Nuovo Record pedals.

AMuzi April 11th 18 12:38 AM

On 4/10/2018 6:16 PM, wrote:
On Tuesday, April 10, 2018 at 10:27:41 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
I loaned a new Clement silk to a guy with 27" steel rims and
a shredded Michelin Fifty once. Chewed up the sidewalls but
got him twenty miles into town. Thinking back on that, he
wasn't worth it.

--
Andrew Muzi

Oh My!!! You high faluting, big shot, high roller bike shop owners riding your Clement Criterium Seta tubulars! Probably using your Alfredo Binda toe straps on Nuovo Record pedals.

It was in 1972 and I was twisting wrenches for a different
shop then.

which reminds me
At a good friend's funeral, his son noted, "In 1967, cycling
became a family affair. We ate grilled cheese and Dad bought
silk tubulars."

Frank Krygowski[_2_] April 11th 18 05:08 AM

wrote:

[...]

On one long tour, our Continental Top Touring tires developed worrying bubbles
in the sidewalls. This was in remote North Dakota. I reinforced the system by
wrapping the tubes loosely with duct tape. I was trying to approximate the
diameter of the inflated tubes. I can't say for sure it worked, but we didn't
suffer any blowouts.

- Frank Krygowski

Joerg[_2_] April 11th 18 09:58 PM

wrote:

[...]

Is that a Conti problem? I had similar issue with Gatorskins. Two failed
prematurely when their sidewalls started to give up.

... This was in remote North Dakota. I reinforced the system by
wrapping the tubes loosely with duct tape. I was trying to approximate the
diameter of the inflated tubes. I can't say for sure it worked, but we didn't
suffer any blowouts.

And then you fret about my hose clamp fix :-)

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Hoseclamp.JPG

It still works ...

--
Regards, Joerg