CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Question: Cassette Sizing (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=294)

Michael August 3rd 03 11:26 PM

Question: Cassette Sizing

I have a question on cassette sizing.

I bought a Bianchi for 40 bucks that a guy used to use
for crit racing. (The bike iD stamped on the head tube
is 0125633 -- I don't know what this means, or how this
would help me date the bike).

The back cassette has only big gears (no pixie gears for
heavy climbing). I want to switch the cassetes, but I'm
a novice about sizing. I measured the largest sprocket
on the cassette and it is 90 mm. The largest sprockets on
my touring bike are quite a bit larger, and I think that's
what I need.

My question: the 90 mm cassette doesn't correspond to
the sizes I see advertised. I see a cassette of 11-28,
12-21, for example, but I don't see how these relate to
90mm.

Thanks for any help.

Michael

Ken August 3rd 03 11:48 PM

Question: Cassette Sizing

"Michael" wrote in news:F_fXa.59639$o27.1329609
@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:
My question: the 90 mm cassette doesn't correspond to
the sizes I see advertised. I see a cassette of 11-28,
12-21, for example, but I don't see how these relate to
90mm.

A 12-21 cassette has a small cog with 12 teeth and a large cog with 21 teeth.
The number of teeth should be stamped somewhere on each cog, or you can just
count them.

Glenn Davies August 4th 03 12:35 AM

Question: Cassette Sizing

The 11-28 and 12-21 numbers you see refer to the amount of teeth on the
largest and smallest gears. The gears in between will have a difference of
one or two teeth. The numbers are usually stamped on the gear but are
difficult to see. BTW, if you switch cassettes you will want to replace the
chain at the same time to avoid problems.

Glenn

Hunrobe August 6th 03 02:33 AM

Question: Cassette Sizing

"Michael"

wrote in part:

The back cassette has only big gears (no pixie gears for
heavy climbing).

Others have explained how to count teeth but I have a question- am I the only
rider that's never heard of a "pixie gear"? That's a real question. It's a
phrase I've never run across and I'm just curious.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Paul Southworth August 6th 03 03:00 AM

Question: Cassette Sizing

In article ,
Hunrobe wrote:
"Michael"

wrote in part:

The back cassette has only big gears (no pixie gears for
heavy climbing).

Others have explained how to count teeth but I have a question- am I the only
rider that's never heard of a "pixie gear"? That's a real question. It's a
phrase I've never run across and I'm just curious.

If he said "fairy gears" perhaps that would be more obvious.

--Paul

Hunrobe August 6th 03 06:32 AM

Question: Cassette Sizing

(Paul Southworth)

wrote:

If he said "fairy gears" perhaps that would be more obvious.

--Paul

I understood the connotation. I'd just never heard that particular phrase.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Rick Onanian August 6th 03 01:48 PM

Question: Cassette Sizing

On 06 Aug 2003 01:33:39 GMT, Hunrobe wrote:
Others have explained how to count teeth but I have a question-am I the
only
rider that's never heard of a "pixie gear"? That's a real question. It's
a phrase I've never run across and I'm just curious.

Same here. I assumed it means a really low gear.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

--
Rick Onanian