CycleBanter.com

-   -   Bike path safety video (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=258423)

AMuzi November 12th 19 02:35 PM

Bike path safety video

https://nypost.com/2019/11/12/wild-v...ens-bike-path/

Witness says, "Death trap"
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Frank Krygowski[_4_] November 12th 19 05:08 PM

Bike path safety video

On 11/12/2019 9:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2019/11/12/wild-v...ens-bike-path/

Witness says, "Death trap"

Well, was the bike lane painted green? As everyone knows, magic green
paint prevents these things!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot November 12th 19 07:08 PM

Bike path safety video

On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 12:08:43 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/12/2019 9:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2019/11/12/wild-v...ens-bike-path/

Witness says, "Death trap"

Well, was the bike lane painted green? As everyone knows, magic green
paint prevents these things!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Not funny Frank. Not funny at all. I'm sure you wouldn't have made such a comment had it been one of your family members that got run down.

Cheers

Frank Krygowski[_4_] November 12th 19 09:10 PM

Bike path safety video

On 11/12/2019 2:08 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 12:08:43 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/12/2019 9:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2019/11/12/wild-v...ens-bike-path/

Witness says, "Death trap"

Well, was the bike lane painted green? As everyone knows, magic green
paint prevents these things!

--
- Frank Krygowski

Not funny Frank. Not funny at all. I'm sure you wouldn't have made such a comment had it been one of your family members that got run down.

We have to be able to discuss these things, tragic as they may be.
Otherwise we'll see more and more repetitions.

Like it or not, there are many, many "innovative" bike facilities
recently built and in the works. Many defy traffic logic; and the
typical "cure" is green paint.

Although there's probably nothing that could have prevented this
incident other than preventing that guy from driving. They said he hit
several cars before hitting the cyclist. Fortunately, such egregious
behavior is rare.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Sir Ridesalot November 12th 19 10:57 PM

Bike path safety video

On Tuesday, 12 November 2019 16:11:03 UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

What you posted sure didn't sound like the start of a discussion. It sounded like a cheap attempt at making a joke of a tragic situation.

Cheers

AK[_2_] November 13th 19 01:56 AM

Bike path safety video

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 8:35:46 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2019/11/12/wild-v...ens-bike-path/

Witness says, "Death trap"
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Bike lane in the middle of driving lanes.

Whoever designed that should be tar and feathered along with the officials that built that bike lane.

Andy

Oh wait a minute, it's New York. :-)

JBeattie November 13th 19 02:15 AM

Bike path safety video

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 5:56:42 PM UTC-8, AK wrote:
On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 8:35:46 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2019/11/12/wild-v...ens-bike-path/

Witness says, "Death trap"
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Bike lane in the middle of driving lanes.

Whoever designed that should be tar and feathered along with the officials that built that bike lane.

Andy

Oh wait a minute, it's New York. :-)

That's a common design with a turn lane, although it is implemented oddly there. https://tinyurl.com/vq2pc8e Go to street view, which shows a bunch of sharrows. https://tinyurl.com/wznut4e It's not a bike lane until you get near the intersection. Frank should like the sharrows -- they advise the cyclist to ride lane-center.

-- Jay Beattie

Frank Krygowski[_4_] November 13th 19 03:33 AM

Bike path safety video

On 11/12/2019 9:15 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

When the lane is too narrow to safely share, cyclists should indeed ride
lane-center. It's safer than skulking at the edge, or in a door zone,
and hoping that nobody brushes you off your bike as they squeeze by.

Given that the motorist was bouncing off other cars before he hit the
cyclist, nothing short of jersey barriers would have been sufficiently
protective.

--
- Frank Krygowski

AK[_2_] November 14th 19 03:38 AM

Bike path safety video

On Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 9:33:23 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Another problem with the center bike lane is that you can be hit from both sides.

I would never ever ride in one.

Andy