CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Saying Hi on the Bike Path (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=192985)

Jorg Lueke August 20th 08 04:46 PM

Saying Hi on the Bike Path

When passing by another biker on a path do you:

Vocalize a Greeting?
Gesture a Greeting?
Stare at the other biker to se if they are going to say or do
anything?
Stare stoically straight ahead?
Pay no attention to what other people are doing?

or...

[email protected] August 20th 08 05:18 PM

Saying Hi on the Bike Path

On Aug 20, 11:46*am, Jorg Lueke wrote:
When passing by another biker on a path do you:

Vocalize a Greeting?
Gesture a Greeting?
Stare at the other biker to se if they are going to say or do
anything?
Stare stoically straight ahead?
Pay no attention to what other people are doing?

or...

I very rarely ride paths. When encountering another cyclist, however,
I usually nod or half-wave when passing head to head, and offer a
brief "hello" or "nice day for a ride, huh?" if going in the same
direction (or head to head MTBing, in slow areas where there's time).
I tend to get the same response, though there are the elitist few who
don't acknowledge me, perhaps because they're too serious or perhaps
because my appearance isn't up to their standards. I ride on the road
in normal looking clothes and a hat, and MTB in normal looking clothes
with a full-face helmet (or the helmet clipped to my pack if just
tooling along a rail trail or something similar, where the chances of
a wreck are nil)

Art Harris August 20th 08 06:30 PM

Saying Hi on the Bike Path

Jorg Lueke wrote:
When passing by another biker on a path do you:

Vocalize a Greeting?
Gesture a Greeting?
Stare at the other biker to se if they are going to say or do
anything?

Well, I don't often ride on paths, but I'll either wave or say "Good
morning" to other riders (no matter what time of day it is).

Art Harris

[email protected] August 20th 08 07:10 PM

Saying Hi on the Bike Path

On Aug 20, 1:30*pm, Art Harris wrote:
Jorg Lueke wrote:
When passing by another biker on a path do you:

Vocalize a Greeting?
Gesture a Greeting?
Stare at the other biker to se if they are going to say or do
anything?

Well, I don't often ride on paths, but I'll either wave or say "Good
morning" to other riders (no matter what time of day it is).

Art Harris

I tend to acknowledge, nod, flash a peace sign, whatever- as
appropiate, basically depending on how far out and/ or how bad the
weather is, might even have a brief conversation on the way during
freezing sleet conditions

[email protected] August 20th 08 07:45 PM

Saying Hi on the Bike Path

On Aug 20, 10:46*am, Jorg Lueke wrote:
When passing by another biker on a path do you:

Vocalize a Greeting?
Gesture a Greeting?
Stare at the other biker to se if they are going to say or do
anything?
Stare stoically straight ahead?
Pay no attention to what other people are doing?

or...

Raise my beer bottle and swerve into the hedges.

But only if it's before 10:00am.

Leo Lichtman August 20th 08 09:24 PM

Saying Hi on the Bike Path

"Jorg Lueke" wrote in message
When passing by another biker on a path do you:

Vocalize a Greeting?
Gesture a Greeting?
Stare at the other biker to se if they are going to say or do
anything?
Stare stoically straight ahead?
Pay no attention to what other people are doing?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It all depends. I greet, nod, wave, say something to anyone who looks like
they might respond. I ignore anyone who clearly doesn't want to interact,
e.g., high end bike, full costume, pedaling hard, or fully engaged in
conversation with their partner, walking, riding or jogging.

max August 20th 08 09:33 PM

Saying Hi on the Bike Path

In article ,
"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"Jorg Lueke" wrote in message
When passing by another biker on a path do you:

Vocalize a Greeting?
Gesture a Greeting?
Stare at the other biker to se if they are going to say or do
anything?
Stare stoically straight ahead?
Pay no attention to what other people are doing?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It all depends. I greet, nod, wave, say something to anyone who looks like
they might respond. I ignore anyone who clearly doesn't want to interact,
e.g., high end bike, full costume, pedaling hard, or fully engaged in
conversation with their partner, walking, riding or jogging.

i cruise the trail in my tandem offering hott chi.xx a rrrriiiiide.

..max

--
This signature can be appended to your outgoing mesages. Many people include in
their signatures contact information, and perhaps a joke or quotation.

Claus Assmann August 20th 08 10:40 PM

Saying Hi on the Bike Path

Leo Lichtman wrote:

[[...]] I ignore anyone who clearly doesn't want to interact,
e.g., high end bike, full costume, pedaling hard, [[...]]]

That's a strange assumption... How long does it take you to
distinguish between a "high end bike" and a "normal" bike?

The only time I don't greet someone is when going downhill at high
speed because that's too dangerous (and it doesn't make sense trying
to greet someone who is riding uphill while you go downhill at more
than, say, 60km/h).

Paul O August 21st 08 01:21 AM

Saying Hi on the Bike Path

wrote, On 8/20/2008 2:45 PM:
On Aug 20, 10:46 am, Jorg Lueke wrote:

When passing by another biker on a path do you:

Vocalize a Greeting?
Gesture a Greeting?
Stare at the other biker to se if they are going to say or do
anything?
Stare stoically straight ahead?
Pay no attention to what other people are doing?

or...

Raise my beer bottle and swerve into the hedges.

But only if it's before 10:00am.

I'll drink to that...

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

sally August 21st 08 02:17 AM

Saying Hi on the Bike Path

Jorg Lueke wrote in news:d08d390f-0483-4db2-88b1-
:

When passing by another biker on a path do you:

Vocalize a Greeting?

I always say hi when I am passing someone from behind. That is less likely
to startle them than just riding by. Startled riders can be unpredictable,
i.e., swerving into your path.