CycleBanter.com

-   -   Cycle Speed Limits on a normal Cycle Path? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=155668)

[email protected] February 7th 07 04:17 PM

Cycle Speed Limits on a normal Cycle Path?

Are there any speed-limits for a standard cycle?

Thank you.

David Martin February 7th 07 04:24 PM

On Feb 7, 4:17 pm, wrote:
Are there any speed-limits for a standard cycle?

No standard ones but individual ones may be set by local by-laws (eg
in royal parks).

...d

Buck February 7th 07 04:25 PM

On 2007-02-07 16:17:15 +0000, said:

Are there any speed-limits for a standard cycle?

Thank you.

Whatever is safe for the conditions.
--
Three wheels good, two wheels ok

www.catrike.co.uk

Daniel Barlow February 7th 07 04:26 PM

wrote:
Are there any speed-limits for a standard cycle?

There are speed limits in the Royal Parks that apply to bicycles. Other
than that, and with the caveat that I'm not sure what a "normal Cycle
Path" is (a road?) my understanding is that there is no numeric limit.
I may be oversimplifying.

The Road Treaffic Act 1988 (as amended by the RTA 1991) describes
offences of "dangerous cycling" and of "Careless and inconsiderate
cycling." which may be relevant. The latter applies on bridleways too.

-dan

--
http://www.coruskate.net/

Paul Boyd February 7th 07 04:31 PM

said the following on 07/02/2007 16:17:
Are there any speed-limits for a standard cycle?

I don't know, but I would have thought that to be able to enforce any
limit would imply that cyclists would have to have speedos fitted.

At the end of the day though, it comes down to common sense. If you're
getting hassle for riding at 25mph on a path full of pedestrians you
won't get much sympathy :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Helen Deborah Vecht February 7th 07 04:43 PM

Cycle Speed Limits on a normal Cycle Path?

yped

Are there any speed-limits for a standard cycle?

Thank you.

No but there is a limit of 8mph on Hampstead Heath and something else in
Richmond Park.

Mixing with pedestrians at 10mph is not personally recommended.

--
Helen D. Vecht:

Edgware.

[email protected] February 7th 07 04:43 PM

On 7 Feb, 16:26, Daniel Barlow wrote:
wrote:
Are there any speed-limits for a standard cycle?

There are speed limits in the Royal Parks that apply to bicycles. Other
than that, and with the caveat that I'm not sure what a "normal Cycle
Path" is (a road?)

Just you standard canal path or something.

Thank you.

Tony Raven February 7th 07 04:44 PM

Paul Boyd wrote on 07/02/2007 16:31 +0100:

I don't know, but I would have thought that to be able to enforce any
limit would imply that cyclists would have to have speedos fitted.

And that principle applies to driving blood alcohol levels too?

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Buck February 7th 07 05:15 PM

On 2007-02-07 16:44:41 +0000, Tony Raven said:

Paul Boyd wrote on 07/02/2007 16:31 +0100:

I don't know, but I would have thought that to be able to enforce any
limit would imply that cyclists would have to have speedos fitted.

And that principle applies to driving blood alcohol levels too?

That would depend on having handlebar mounted optics.

GeoffC February 7th 07 05:23 PM

Cycle Speed Limits on a normal Cycle Path?

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
yped

Are there any speed-limits for a standard cycle?

Thank you.

No but there is a limit of 8mph on Hampstead Heath and something else
in Richmond Park.

Mixing with pedestrians at 10mph is not personally recommended.

You just need a good bell :-)

--

Geoff