CycleBanter.com

CycleBanter.com (http://www.cyclebanter.com/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Need advice on bottom bracket repair (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=251999)

Theodore Heise[_2_] January 8th 17 03:33 AM

Need advice on bottom bracket repair
 

Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

John B.[_6_] January 8th 17 01:12 PM

Need advice on bottom bracket repair
 
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 02:33:29 +0000 (UTC), Theodore Heise
wrote:


Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?


What I've had some success with in cases similar to yours, was, after
soaking the threads with a penetrating oil, to twist the thing as far
as you can, without trying too hard to break it, and than back tight,
than loosen and back tight. Hopefully each time it will turn a little
bit further.

--
cheers,

John B.


Sir Ridesalot January 8th 17 04:38 PM

Need advice on bottom bracket repair
 
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA


If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".

Cheers

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH January 8th 17 04:42 PM

Need advice on bottom bracket repair
 
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:38:15 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA


If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".

Cheers


https://www.google.com/#q=removing%2...%3Ayoutube.com

[email protected] January 8th 17 05:05 PM

Need advice on bottom bracket repair
 
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 6:33:31 PM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?


Ted, it all depends on what confidence you have in your mechanical ability and if you're dumb enough, strike that, willing to buy a tool that you're probably never going to use again.

http://tinyurl.com/hcds8af

This is NOT a magic bullet and as john has recommended you have have to work it back and forth until you finally free it.

The modern sealed bottom brackets with the spline is a whole not easier to install and remove.

Theodore Heise[_2_] January 8th 17 05:46 PM

Need advice on bottom bracket repair
 
On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 19:12:56 +0700,
John B wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 02:33:29 +0000 (UTC), Theodore Heise
wrote:


Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?


What I've had some success with in cases similar to yours, was,
after soaking the threads with a penetrating oil, to twist the
thing as far as you can, without trying too hard to break it,
and than back tight, than loosen and back tight. Hopefully each
time it will turn a little bit further.


Thanks! Guess I'll pick up some penetrating oil and keep after
it.

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

Theodore Heise[_2_] January 8th 17 05:48 PM

Need advice on bottom bracket repair
 
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 07:42:55 -0800 (PST),
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:38:15 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?


If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it
yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".



https://www.google.com/#q=removing%2...%3Ayoutube.com

Thanks guys, but I need to get the adjustable cup off before I
could use Sheldon's tool on the fixed cup.

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

Theodore Heise[_2_] January 8th 17 05:54 PM

Need advice on bottom bracket repair
 
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 08:05:28 -0800 (PST),
wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 6:33:31 PM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom
bracket in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop
severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but
the adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter
turn, but then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no
flats for a wrench instead having holes for turning with a pin
spanner--so I'm unable to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for
me?


Ted, it all depends on what confidence you have in your
mechanical ability and if you're dumb enough, strike that,
willing to buy a tool that you're probably never going to use
again.

http://tinyurl.com/hcds8af

This is NOT a magic bullet and as john has recommended you have
have to work it back and forth until you finally free it.


Turns out I already had this type of tool--didn't remember it,
because it's been a *long* time since I used it last. I was able
to get it turned a bit farther with this rigid piin spanner, but
unfortunately, I broke one of the pins in trying. Too bad I
didn't see your caution first. I will see if my LBS has the
replacemennt pins.

As an aside, the Park SPA-1 (that Sheldon also recommends) came
first to my mind, because I use it periodically to adjust the
eccentrics on both of my tandems.


The modern sealed bottom brackets with the spline is a whole not
easier to install and remove.


I intend to replace the whole mess with a sealed cartridge BB, if
I can only get the old hardware out.

Thanks for the good advice!

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA
I can get the old hardware out!

[email protected] January 8th 17 05:56 PM

Need advice on bottom bracket repair
 
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 8:48:56 AM UTC-8, Theodore Heise wrote:
On Sun, 8 Jan 2017 07:42:55 -0800 (PST),
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Sunday, January 8, 2017 at 10:38:15 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, January 7, 2017 at 9:33:31 PM UTC-5, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?

If your unit is a cup rather than a cartridge then tghis do it
yourself tool from Sheldon Brown (RIP) works wonders.

http://sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/bbcups.html

It's towards the bottom of the page under "Fixed-Cup Tools".



https://www.google.com/#q=removing%2...%3Ayoutube.com

Thanks guys, but I need to get the adjustable cup off before I
could use Sheldon's tool on the fixed cup.

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA


Ted, I don't quite follow. You are talking about using a pin spanner and then say that you need to get the adjustable cup off first. Isn't that what we were talking about? The lock nut on the adjustable side and the fixed cup do not use pin spanners as far as I know.

AMuzi January 8th 17 06:08 PM

Need advice on bottom bracket repair
 
On 1/7/2017 8:33 PM, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

I have an early 1990s Rodriguez tandem with a rear bottom bracket
in serious need of overhaul. The cranks flop severely.

I've pulled the cranks and the lock ring on the left side, but the
adjustable cup won't come out. It turns about a quarter turn, but
then gets too stiff to turn further. It has no flats for a wrench
instead having holes for turning with a pin spanner--so I'm unable
to put a lot of force on it.

I've soaked it with WD40, but still no joy. Any advice for me?


Delco 10.4020 penetrant is the best, PC Blaster is good.
Warming with a heat gun can help.

If no other path, flats can be cut on the cup with a disc
grinder to allow a wrench instead of those brittle expensive
pins.

p.s. Try the right side cup too. If that moves, you can
easily deal with the left one after disasssembly.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:34 PM.
Home - Home - Home - Home - Home

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CycleBanter.com