CycleBanter.com

-   -   Gels vs Gatorade (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=22818)

Ken July 20th 04 01:48 AM

Gels vs Gatorade

(scottt) wrote in
om:
My Tri buddy swears by eating
a good breakfast and drinking only Gatorade...He also mentioned that
one dosen't get any more bag for your buck/carbs etc. using sport
drinks and gels. Is he more loopy that usual?

Is he faster than you? Maybe he knows something you don't.

On a 2 hour ride, Gatorade alone should be fine. Depending on how hard you
ride and how much breakfast you ate, that may be enough for a 4 hour ride,
too. Bring along a couple of energy bars just in case. You can eat that
after 2 or 3 hours if necessary.

Bengt-Olaf Schneider July 20th 04 01:48 AM

Gels vs Gatorade

"scottt" wrote in message
om...
Any clue as to what works best...? I ride between two and four-hours a
ride--a few times a week (also teach spinning classes twice-a-week). I
average about 80-100 rpm and also push around 16-20 mph.I always
hydrate before I ride and bring at least one large bottle of water and
a bottle of mixed accelerade. Last year, as well into this season, I
have been using Hammer gel as another source of fuel (especially on
longer rides).I'm feeling great, and pose this question to see if
anyone has better results with a mix of water/gels, or bars and
water/energy drinks or any other combo. My Tri buddy swears by eating
a good breakfast and drinking only Gatorade...He also mentioned that
one dosen't get any more bag for your buck/carbs etc. using sport
drinks and gels. Is he more loopy that usual?

In my experience I prefer water and solids over gel or Accelerade.
In fact, after a few hours the taste of (warm) Accelerade becomes plain
revulsive.
Gels have the advantage that they are lighter and easier to consume than
solids
(energy bars, fig newtons, etc.)

Arguably, there is no need to consume that many carbs on 2-3 hour rides.
There should be enough glucogen in your muscles to fuel the ride.
Just stay hydrated. Of course, ymmv ... literally.

Bengt-Olaf.

Jee Doy July 20th 04 03:01 AM

Gels vs Gatorade

I'm feeling great, and pose this question to see if
anyone has better results with a mix of water/gels, or bars and
water/energy drinks or any other combo.

If you're feeling great, something is working. I learned the hard way with
hunger pangs, dried salty sweat, and cramps. All signs of electrolyte
imbalance.

Now I start hydration sooner, take two Accelerade bottles (the newer formula
tastes better), GU energy gels and energy bars (even Snickers Marathon is
good), at least two bananas and Chinese dried salted orange peels.

I also stop more often, get off the bike, and eat and drink for approximately
10 minutes.

Jacobe Hazzard July 20th 04 07:54 AM

Gels vs Gatorade

scottt wrote:
Any clue as to what works best...? I ride between two and four-hours a
ride--a few times a week (also teach spinning classes twice-a-week). I
average about 80-100 rpm and also push around 16-20 mph.I always
hydrate before I ride and bring at least one large bottle of water and
a bottle of mixed accelerade. Last year, as well into this season, I
have been using Hammer gel as another source of fuel (especially on
longer rides).I'm feeling great, and pose this question to see if
anyone has better results with a mix of water/gels, or bars and
water/energy drinks or any other combo. My Tri buddy swears by eating
a good breakfast and drinking only Gatorade...He also mentioned that
one dosen't get any more bag for your buck/carbs etc. using sport
drinks and gels. Is he more loopy that usual?

I usually don't push myself that hard for that long when I'm cycling, as
it's mostly about transportation for me, but I have experiences I can
relate from when I was a treeplanter.

Treeplanting is a lot like cycling in many ways, in that fast planting is
a high output activity, complete with accelerated heartrate and rapid
breathing, not to mention profuse sweating. I've heard people say things
like sustained 66% of Vo2 Max, whatever that means to you. The same
pitfalls apply, such as dehydration, loss of blood sugar, and eating foods
that are difficult to digest quickly and keep going without slowing down.
To make money planting, you need to push yourself to a cyclists' level of
exertion for nine hours a day, every day you work.

I experimented a lot with different drinks and foods, and found that for
the most part anything labelled or packaged as a sports product was less
likely to improve my performance. Gatorade, while it was a lot better than
koolaid (yes I tried koolaid, it was cheap), still left me feeling awful
at the end of the day. Straight gatorade is disgusting to chug, and even
if I watered it down a lot I would run out of steam about 6 hours into the
day. Often by quitting time I would have difficulty focusing my eyes on
anything for very long or walking in a straight line. I would slur my
speech and be unable to fill in the form claiming my trees for the day. I
would pass out and sleep on the drive back to camp, which if you've ever
planted you know is a *very* bumpy ride sometimes. The same thing happened
with powerade, kool-aid, and some kind of gel I forget the name of. I
never had this problem when I drank plain water, and I would drink up to 7
litres a day or more without ****ing. I also liked to drink a can of V8
once a day, I felt like that made a difference, possibly from the salt, or
just because I really like V8.

I also tried many different kinds of foods. I found that energy bars and
granola bars of all sorts weren't filling enough. Half an hour after
eating my stomach would be growling (I need to eat a lot, and eat often).
Heavier foods like pasta, potatoes, and vegetables were too hard to
digest. If I ate even a moderate amount I would feel bloated and get
heartburn, and would slow down more than if I hadn't eaten. The best thing
was a combination of trail mix and sandwiches. A handful of salted
pretzels, peanuts, chocolate, raisins and other misc salty and sugary bits
plus a portion of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich made with whole grain
or multigrain bread. It's important not to eat too much at any one time,
but to eat often throughout the day. Sometimes I would eat a small amount
of meat or tuna in a sandwich, just to break the tedium of PB&J. I would
also eat several cookies or brownies throughout the day, which our cooks
baked for us.

This combination never failed to work for me. If I tweaked it even a
little bit, like using white bread instead of wholewheat, I would have
significantly less energy by the afternoon and would make less money that
day. I think the key is getting the right balance of electrolytes, carbs,
proteins and sugars in an easily digestible form, which energy bars and
drinks could never do for me. I also worry about the things that go into
such products, chemicals and preservatives and colouring and flavouring
and who knows what other additives. In the long run as well as the short,
it's much better to eat a balanced mix of wholesome organic foods, and to
drink plain water. In my experience anyhow.

Elmo Spam King July 20th 04 09:12 AM

Gels vs Gatorade

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:11:17 -0700, scottt wrote:
My Tri buddy swears by eating a good breakfast and drinking only
Gatorade...

Well, he can enjoy the tooth decay.

It's seriously not good to be washing your teeth in sugar water all day
long.

If you're going to use sugar as fuel, make it quick and rinse with water.

I'm sure there's no real difference between the syrup in a gallon of
gatorade and a little foil pack of sugar syrup.

Seriously, you wrote that you feel great, so what's the problem?

EK

John Forrest Tomlinson July 20th 04 09:28 AM

Gels vs Gatorade

On 20 Jul 2004 02:01:51 GMT, (Jee Doy) wrote:

If you're feeling great, something is working. I learned the hard way with
hunger pangs, dried salty sweat, and cramps. All signs of electrolyte
imbalance.

I don't think hunger is related to electrolyte imbalance.

JT

Peter Cole July 20th 04 01:27 PM

Gels vs Gatorade

"scottt" wrote in message
om...
Any clue as to what works best...? I ride between two and four-hours a
ride--a few times a week (also teach spinning classes twice-a-week). I
average about 80-100 rpm and also push around 16-20 mph.I always
hydrate before I ride and bring at least one large bottle of water and
a bottle of mixed accelerade. Last year, as well into this season, I
have been using Hammer gel as another source of fuel (especially on
longer rides).I'm feeling great, and pose this question to see if
anyone has better results with a mix of water/gels, or bars and
water/energy drinks or any other combo. My Tri buddy swears by eating
a good breakfast and drinking only Gatorade...He also mentioned that
one dosen't get any more bag for your buck/carbs etc. using sport
drinks and gels. Is he more loopy that usual?

Unless you've been fasting, you should have enough stored glycogen to go for
2-3 hr at a hard pace. Beyond that, you may need ~500 cal/hr or so to keep up.
Whatever you find easiest to digest and palatable is all that's important.
Gels and bars are some rider's choice, but there's no magic, fig newtons,
PB&J, etc. work just as well and are cheaper.

For fluids, riding hard in hot weather can consume 1-3 L/hr (most riders
closer to 1 L/hr max), you don't want to get much more than 2 L behind, and
there's a maximum rate that you can absorb, so depending on conditions and
length of ride, you have to drink accordingly. There isn't much difference in
drinking plain water vs. "carbohydrated" water, and there are advantages to
keeping food and fluid separate. For very long rides, especially in the heat,
salt replacement becomes an issue. There is a considerable variation in how
much salt different riders may lose. I've found it only becomes an issue for
me after 7-8 hr of hot, hard, riding.

Jay Beattie July 20th 04 07:30 PM

Gels vs Gatorade

"scottt" wrote in message
om...
Elmo Spam King wrote in message

. ..
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 17:11:17 -0700, scottt wrote:
My Tri buddy swears by eating a good breakfast and drinking

only
Gatorade...

Well, he can enjoy the tooth decay.

It's seriously not good to be washing your teeth in sugar

water all day
long.

If you're going to use sugar as fuel, make it quick and rinse

with water.

I'm sure there's no real difference between the syrup in a

gallon of
gatorade and a little foil pack of sugar syrup.

Seriously, you wrote that you feel great, so what's the

problem?

EK

Seriously, never said there was a problem. Seriously seeking

options.
Seriously, take a deep breath and go brush your teeth...

Gatorade was intended as an electrolyte and fluid replacement and
only incidentally a carbohydrate source. Gels are a carbohydrate
source and generally contain some sort of amphetamine, like
caffeine or a natural source of caffeine, to keep the mind clear.
I even think some of the early gels had mahuang which is a
natural source of ephedrine. Any way, gels will give you a burst
of energy and will perk you up, but they will not hydrate you --
in fact, you need to drink a fair amount of water so that the
gels do not knot up your stomach (I know, they are not supposed
to do that -- but they do that to me if I do not drink). Also,
if you go through a lot of gels, you will not be able to sleep at
night and will get caffeine shakes.

With that said. I love gels, especially before critical climbs
or accelerations in a race or a hard ride. Cliff bars in the
middle, gel for a quick pop, and Cytomax (or something like it)
for hydration and electrolytes. That's my recipe. -- Jay Beattie.

Terry Morse July 20th 04 11:35 PM

Gels vs Gatorade

andres muro wrote:

If you are properly hydrated and nourished at the start of a ride,
you'll need water, salt and sugar to keep you riding at a certain
intensity. Water and salt will hydrate you and prevent cramps and
sugar will give you energy and prevent bonking.

All good advice, except the sugar part. Sugar is not a good source
of energy for an endurance athlete: 1) it is slowly absorbed, 2) it
requires additional water for digestion, and 3) it can actually
cause a blood sugar crash (i.e. bonk).

On the other hand, complex carbohydrates like maltodextrin avoid all
three of these problems. If a sports drink contains mostly simple
sugars, it's not a good endurance drink.