CycleBanter.com

-   -   Hex Wrenches (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=255981)

JBeattie June 7th 18 05:01 PM

Hex Wrenches

After all these decades, I have no fancy hex wrenches -- nothing with a t-handle. Fanciest is a pedal wrench and a Park three-way. Are the Park T-handle wrenches worth it versus the standard long wrenches, e.g. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...hex-wrench-set I'm also a little leery of the ball end fit.

-- Jay Beattie

AMuzi June 7th 18 05:29 PM

Hex Wrenches

On 6/7/2018 11:01 AM, jbeattie wrote:
After all these decades, I have no fancy hex wrenches -- nothing with a t-handle. Fanciest is a pedal wrench and a Park three-way. Are the Park T-handle wrenches worth it versus the standard long wrenches, e.g. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...hex-wrench-set I'm also a little leery of the ball end fit.

-- Jay Beattie

Bondhus ball ends are very handy for light quick assembly
especially with a screwdriver handle for things such as
water bottle bolts. Switch to a full-engagement key to apply
actual torque.

short answer= you need both.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Jeff Liebermann June 7th 18 05:58 PM

Hex Wrenches

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 09:01:23 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

After all these decades, I have no fancy hex wrenches -- nothing with a t-handle.
Fanciest is a pedal wrench and a Park three-way. Are the Park T-handle wrenches
worth it versus the standard long wrenches, e.g.
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...hex-wrench-set
I'm also a little leery of the ball end fit.
-- Jay Beattie

Think about switching to Wera Hex-Plus wrenches:
https://www-us.wera.de/en/great-tools/l-keys-in-a-two-component-clip/
https://www-us.wera.de/en/great-tools/hex-plus/

"German Tool Reviews: Wera Hex L-Keys"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi-i1bRWzFI

"Why I now exclusively use Hex-Plus L-Keys: A short demonstration"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t82jTk3mP5E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRZjNYGHeRQ
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

SMS June 7th 18 06:04 PM

Hex Wrenches

On 6/7/2018 9:01 AM, jbeattie wrote:
After all these decades, I have no fancy hex wrenches -- nothing with a t-handle. Fanciest is a pedal wrench and a Park three-way. Are the Park T-handle wrenches worth it versus the standard long wrenches, e.g. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...hex-wrench-set I'm also a little leery of the ball end fit.

That is not a link for the T-handle Park wrenches. Actually you want
P-handle wrenches.

https://www.bikenashbar.com/cycling/nashbar-p-handle-hex-wrench-set-bn-phs2-base

https://www.coloradocyclist.com/park-ph-1-p-handle-hex-wrench-set

David Scheidt June 7th 18 06:53 PM

Hex Wrenches

jbeattie wrote:
:After all these decades, I have no fancy hex wrenches -- nothing with a t-handle. Fanciest is a pedal wrench and a Park three-way. Are the Park T-handle wrenches worth it versus the standard long wrenches, e.g. https://www.westernbikeworks.com/pro...hex-wrench-set I'm also a little leery of the ball end fit.
Park's hex wrenches used to be (and may still be) made by bondus.
This is the set I use for bikes:
https://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-13389.../dp/B00012Y38C
I also use these (long L balldrivers)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E80G7A
which are nice for obstructed pieces.
I also a set of standard length Elkind hex keys, which are handy for
putting in a pocket to go visit someone, and surprisingly nice for how
cheap they are.

I've also got assorted bits for interchangle bit screwdrivers, and
sockets, which find a use on bikes once in a while.

I fail to understand the love for Wera drivers. They're really
expensive for Chinese made tools, and not any nicer than what Bondhus
sell.

--
sig 39

Emanuel Berg[_2_] June 7th 18 07:17 PM

Hex Wrenches

David Scheidt wrote:

I've also got assorted bits for interchangle
bit screwdrivers, and sockets, which find
a use on bikes once in a while.

No kidding, perhaps more common on my bikes
than your road bikes and MTBs. The common small
bolt heads and nuts are almost always 9mm or
10mm, sometimes 7mm or 9mm but much more rarely
so. The axle dome nuts are 14mm or 15mm, so it
is cool to have deep well sockets for the
torque wrench, and a ring wrench that is one
end 14, the other 15, prior to the torque.
Sometimes on the same axle, one nut is 14, the
other 15! On the saddle and kickstand for some
reason (likewise on furniture) 13mm is
a popular choice. So I try to cover those in
just about every format there is, socket,
ratchet, combination, ring, open, closed, deep,
driver, blah blah blah.

I fail to understand the love for Wera
drivers. They're really expensive for Chinese
made tools, and not any nicer than what
Bondhus sell.

What's the difference between the Wera Hex-Plus
and Bondhus ball end? Bondhus is great,
obviously. I have no experience with the Wera
range but I have walked by it countless of
times in the accursed hardware store...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

David Scheidt June 7th 18 07:47 PM

Hex Wrenches

Emanuel Berg wrote:
:David Scheidt wrote:

: I've also got assorted bits for interchangle
: bit screwdrivers, and sockets, which find
: a use on bikes once in a while.

:No kidding, perhaps more common on my bikes
:than your road bikes and MTBs. The common small
:bolt heads and nuts are almost always 9mm or

I actually meant 'sockets with a hex bit in them', like these
https://store.snapon.com/Hex-Standar...t-P630933.aspx
since we're tlking about hex wrenches. (I have the sort you're
talking about, as well as a collection of wrenches. many sorts.)

:What's the difference between the Wera Hex-Plus
:and Bondhus ball end? Bondhus is great,
:obviously. I have no experience with the Wera
:range but I have walked by it countless of
:times in the accursed hardware store...

the hex plus isn't hex shaped. it has the corners cut off (it's more
complicated than taht, but that's a first approximation), so that
the force is applied away from the cornders of the fastener hex.
That's not a bad idea, it's universal in box end wrench designs. I
haven't found it to be a problem with hex socket cap screws, though.
At least when using the right bit, because there isn't enough
clearance for the tool to rotate in the hole.

--
sig 11

Jeff Liebermann June 7th 18 07:59 PM

Hex Wrenches

On Thu, 7 Jun 2018 17:53:42 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

I fail to understand the love for Wera drivers. They're really
expensive for Chinese made tools, and not any nicer than what Bondhus
sell.

Wera tools are made in Czech Republic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wera_Tools

I can't explain why I like them. Maybe it's because I haven't mangled
any hex head fasteners for many years. Maybe it's because they
actually fit the hex heat bolt. Maybe because I think stainless hex
drivers are cool and some kind of status symbol. Maybe because I have
used their jewelers screwdriver sets without destroying as many
Philips screw heads as I did in the past using Craftsman screwdrivers.

One problem I have will many hex head drivers is that older cap screws
tend to have a loose fit after being inserted and removed a few times.
The sides of the hex usually expands in the middle, but leaves the
corners in their original condition. Since the Hex-Plus patterns
grabs the head by the corners, it still has a good fit. Commodity hex
drivers tend to have a not so good fit, will rattle around in the
heat, and may pop out if tightened at a slight angle.

To be fair, I still have various newer Craftsman, Home Despot, and
Chinese hand tools. They're handy for loaning to friends and
neighbors. I keep the older Craftsman and newer Wera hand tools for
myself.

David Scheidt June 7th 18 08:25 PM

Hex Wrenches

wrote:

:I fail to understand the love for Wera drivers. They're really
:expensive for Chinese made tools, and not any nicer than what Bondhus
:sell.

:Wera tools are made in Czech Republic:
:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wera_Tools

Pull the other one. It's got bells on. They're assembled in CZ, what
that actually means isn't transparent, given the EUs horrible COO
regulations. (EU regulations let you put a "made in EU country"
sticker on something for export, even if the only operation done in
the EU was taking it out of a bulk box, putting the made in country
sticker on it, and putting it in an idividual box.. That's
improvement. Until recently you could claim "made in foo" if the
product had been to foo. A few countries had stronger rules.)
My educated suspicion is that the driver
blades come from the factories in China that Wera make bits in.
Handles are probaly czech.

--
sig 99

AMuzi June 7th 18 08:32 PM

Hex Wrenches

On 6/7/2018 12:53 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:
[...]

We're also happy with Wiha allen products:
https://www.wihatools.com/hex-tools/ball-end-hex
some of which are very old and have been re faced many times.