CycleBanter.com

-   -   Cycle chained to railings damaged by flying car (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=252800)

Alycidon April 16th 16 05:58 PM

Cycle chained to railings damaged by flying car

Luckily, cyclist had just popped into the shops.
QUOTE:

"The driver must have then done something weird to have put the car on its head. I don't know how it happened, because it didn't look possible that somebody could get the car like that on their own."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Car-f...ail/story.html

Rob Morley April 16th 16 11:16 PM

Cycle chained to railings damaged by flying car

On Sat, 16 Apr 2016 09:58:15 -0700 (PDT)
Alycidon wrote:

Luckily, cyclist had just popped into the shops.
QUOTE:

"The driver must have then done something weird to have put the car
on its head. I don't know how it happened, because it didn't look
possible that somebody could get the car like that on their own."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Car-f...ail/story.html

It wouldn't have to be that weird - just hit the right dip/bump while
turning at such an angle, at the right speed with the right tyre
pressure and the right amount of throttle and everything can add up to
a rollover. With some vehicles you don't even need a bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEojIi_c2TU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcJyoWv_3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZlb7Y9Fx8

jnugent April 16th 16 11:40 PM

On 16/04/2016 23:16, Rob Morley wrote:

Alycidon wrote:

Luckily, cyclist had just popped into the shops.
QUOTE:

"The driver must have then done something weird to have put the car
on its head. I don't know how it happened, because it didn't look
possible that somebody could get the car like that on their own."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Car-f...ail/story.html

It wouldn't have to be that weird - just hit the right dip/bump while
turning at such an angle, at the right speed with the right tyre
pressure and the right amount of throttle and everything can add up to
a rollover. With some vehicles you don't even need a bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEojIi_c2TU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcJyoWv_3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZlb7Y9Fx8

Absolutely - it's easier to overturn a car or van than some might think.

Some years ago, a colleague's car skidded laterally on black ice, at
relatively low speed.

The worst part came when the offside wheels contacted the kerb on the
"wrong" side of the road (mercifully, it was early on a Saturday morning
and there was no other traffic). The car simply cartwheeled to its
offside onto the grassed verge and then onto its roof.

She climbed out after undoing her seatbelt and had a few scratches, but
was otherwise unharmed.

Simon Jester April 17th 16 12:47 AM

On Saturday, April 16, 2016 at 11:40:35 PM UTC+1, JNugent wrote:

Absolutely - it's easier to overturn a car or van than some might think.

Some years ago, a colleague's car skidded laterally on black ice, at
relatively low speed.

The worst part came when the offside wheels contacted the kerb on the
"wrong" side of the road (mercifully, it was early on a Saturday morning
and there was no other traffic). The car simply cartwheeled to its
offside onto the grassed verge and then onto its roof.

She climbed out after undoing her seatbelt and had a few scratches, but
was otherwise unharmed.

Why are such inherently dangerous vehicles allowed on public roads?

Alycidon April 17th 16 06:42 AM

Alycidon wrote:

Luckily, cyclist had just popped into the shops.
QUOTE:

"The driver must have then done something weird to have put the car
on its head. I don't know how it happened, because it didn't look
possible that somebody could get the car like that on their own."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Car-f...ail/story.html

It wouldn't have to be that weird - just hit the right dip/bump while
turning at such an angle, at the right speed with the right tyre
pressure and the right amount of throttle and everything can add up to
a rollover. With some vehicles you don't even need a bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEojIi_c2TU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcJyoWv_3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZlb7Y9Fx8

It was the same spot where John Cleese gave his car a good thrashing in Clockwise.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7.../carthrash.jpg

Nick[_4_] April 17th 16 10:02 AM

On 16/04/2016 23:40, JNugent wrote:

Absolutely - it's easier to overturn a car or van than some might think.

Some years ago, a colleague's car skidded laterally on black ice, at
relatively low speed.

The worst part came when the offside wheels contacted the kerb on the
"wrong" side of the road (mercifully, it was early on a Saturday morning
and there was no other traffic). The car simply cartwheeled to its
offside onto the grassed verge and then onto its roof.

She climbed out after undoing her seatbelt and had a few scratches, but
was otherwise unharmed.

Yes, this particularly appears to be a problem with German cars.

Tom Crispin[_5_] April 17th 16 10:39 AM

Alycidon wrote:

Luckily, cyclist had just popped into the shops.
QUOTE:

"The driver must have then done something weird to have put the car
on its head. I don't know how it happened, because it didn't look
possible that somebody could get the car like that on their own."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Car-f...ail/story.html

It wouldn't have to be that weird - just hit the right dip/bump while
turning at such an angle, at the right speed with the right tyre
pressure and the right amount of throttle and everything can add up to
a rollover. With some vehicles you don't even need a bump:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEojIi_c2TU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcJyoWv_3M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZlb7Y9Fx8

It was the same spot where John Cleese gave his car a good thrashing in Clockwise.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7.../carthrash.jpg

I thought that was Faulty Towers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0onXhyLlE

MrCheerful April 17th 16 03:32 PM

On 17/04/2016 17:25, JNugent wrote:
On 17/04/2016 10:02, Nick wrote:

On 16/04/2016 23:40, JNugent wrote:

Absolutely - it's easier to overturn a car or van than some might think.

Some years ago, a colleague's car skidded laterally on black ice, at
relatively low speed.
The worst part came when the offside wheels contacted the kerb on the
"wrong" side of the road (mercifully, it was early on a Saturday morning
and there was no other traffic). The car simply cartwheeled to its
offside onto the grassed verge and then onto its roof.
She climbed out after undoing her seatbelt and had a few scratches, but
was otherwise unharmed.

Yes, this particularly appears to be a problem with German cars.

Does it?

I'm fairly certain this was a Japanese car.

It has become more common since all cars got higher c of g as a result
of pedestrian and occupant safety requirements, which are better served
by a higher car in general. I was involved with a van on its side just
before Christmas, he ploughed into a wall to make that flip onto its
side, it then slid along the full width of the road toward me, I nearly
managed to completely avoid it, suffering minor damage to the OSR
quarter, still made it a write off, but still on the road.

Alycidon April 17th 16 04:36 PM

On Sunday, 17 April 2016 10:39:38 UTC+1, Tom Crispin wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZlb7Y9Fx8

It was the same spot where John Cleese gave his car a good thrashing in Clockwise.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7.../carthrash.jpg

I thought that was Faulty Towers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv0onXhyLlE

My mistake - it was the petrol station 7th one down, now the McDs in the photo.

http://www.british-film-locations.com/Clockwise-1986