CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Movie Review in _Bicycling_ (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=219148)

Jym Dyer August 4th 10 03:26 PM

Movie Review in _Bicycling_

=v= The purpose of this message is to pass along an URL to a
movie review in _Bicycling_, but the print version is preceded
by a two-page spread with a great preamble that they did not
put online. So, I'm transcribing it here. Give it a read
before "turning the page" (by clicking on the URL).

Twenty-five years ago,
the world was changed
by an unprecedented
yet mostly forgotten event that
FINALLY AND FULLY
expressed the passion of the cyclist --
the inexplicable love between human and bicycle,
the enduring dream of riding
faster and farther,
the sport's simultaneous connection and gap
between average and elite,
the humilation and redemption
THAT EXISTS IN EVERY CRASH,
the awful vagaries of fate
and the question of destiny itself, and the flirtation
with hubris evoked by even a simple ride
through the neighborhood,
AND TO ALL OF THIS
we add our amazement that the visionary
who managed to distill the obsession of the cyclist
into a work of art
running no longer than a typical bike ride
WAS ABLE TO EXPLAIN THIS MIRACLE
by saying ...

http://www.bicycling.com/news/featur...ies/i-meant-do

=v= The review itself concerns the greatest cycling movie
ever made, and argues this point in words that echo my own
thoughts on the matter.
_Jym_