CycleBanter.com

-   Mountain Biking (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Biking shoes recommendation????not clipless (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=7278)

jazu June 14th 04 06:31 AM

Biking shoes recommendation????not clipless

HI
Looking to buy some not clipples shoes.
Any recommendations?
Is it a bad idea to use just running shoes?
thanks
jazu

S o r n i June 14th 04 07:34 AM

jazu wrote:
HI
Looking to buy some not clipples shoes.
Any recommendations?
Is it a bad idea to use just running shoes?

Running shoes are too flexible for most people; find some with stiff soles.

Some (mtb) cycling shoes have rubber over the cleat location, so you can
just leave it there and ride flat pedals or cages.

Bill "LBS time" S.

jazu June 14th 04 07:51 AM

Biking shoes recommendation????not clipless

Is it a bad idea to use just running shoes?
thanks

Is any old answer ok, or would you prefer to give some SPECIFICS, like

what
kind of riding you do and what kind of pedals you have.

Nothing extreme. Paved road, gravel, forest trials.
Platform pedals.

stardotstar June 15th 04 07:51 PM

Biking shoes recommendation????not clipless

If you want maximum grip, get skate shoes. They have fairly soft soles.

I'm a big fan of skate shoes over here, large level soles, very comfortable
and most have a tread pattern that will let the teeth of your pedals really
lock on.

And they don't stand out when you are in the pub for your post-ride drink.

--
6/14/2004
3:46 AM [GMT-8]

Carla A-G June 15th 04 08:38 PM

"stardotstar" wrote in message
And they don't stand out when you are in the pub for your post-ride drink.

That reminds me of a ride that Corvus, Jim and myself did in Stillwell Woods
one day. After the ride we went to a fairly nice Italian/pizza place wearing
our dirty, muddy biking clothes and wearing our clipless mtb shoes. We
barged into the place and everyone stopped what they were doing to look at
us. They looked at us like we were aliens or something (not that we aren't).
We sat down to eat with a couple of brews and the whole place watched us
eat, with looks of utter shock on their faces.

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!