CycleBanter.com

-   -   14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new... (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=253818)

Robert Latest May 7th 17 08:53 PM

14 year-old Campy Record shifts like new...

....after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

[email protected] May 7th 17 09:20 PM

On 7 May 2017 19:53:26 GMT, Robert Latest wrote:

...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

Just came back from a ride on my 30 year old Shimano 18 speed
equipped Raleigh Century. (all original including the tires -)

Frank Krygowski[_4_] May 8th 17 12:52 AM

On 5/7/2017 4:20 PM, wrote:
On 7 May 2017 19:53:26 GMT, Robert Latest wrote:

...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

Just came back from a ride on my 30 year old Shimano 18 speed
equipped Raleigh Century. (all original including the tires -)

And me, on my 1986 Cannondale touring bike. Not all original - I
changed the brakes and built wheels to switch from 27" to 700c.

But the drive system is original except for replacing cogs and chains.
I was given a nearly full sprocket board, which has enabled me to keep
the freewheels going. I'll run out of cogs some day, but it's good for
a while longer.

--
- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] May 8th 17 12:58 AM

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 1:21:03 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On 7 May 2017 19:53:26 GMT, Robert Latest wrote:

...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

Just came back from a ride on my 30 year old Shimano 18 speed
equipped Raleigh Century. (all original including the tires -)

Nice to see how many miles you put in.

[email protected] May 8th 17 07:00 AM

On Sun, 7 May 2017 16:58:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 1:21:03 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On 7 May 2017 19:53:26 GMT, Robert Latest wrote:

...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

Just came back from a ride on my 30 year old Shimano 18 speed
equipped Raleigh Century. (all original including the tires -)

Nice to see how many miles you put in.

Not a lot - I didn't drive it for a number of years - now that I'm
"retired" it will get more use. Had a cheep "bikemeter" on it for the
first couple years - likely 1 or 2 thousand miles max on it.

Sir Ridesalot May 8th 17 12:26 PM

On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Latest wrote:
...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

It's pretty amazing how well a lot of the 1980s (or a lot earlier) stuff still works if it's maintained reasnonably well rather than abused. I have a bicycle with the old Shimano 600 EX stuff on it including the scallop headset and I never have problems with it. I even have a number of NOS Uniglidge cassettes for it. I also have another bicycle with Duara Ace AX on itthat's still going strong. I just adore the stopping power of those brakes. Plus those brakes are the absolute easiest brakes to center if they should ever get knocked off center = just hold the center section of the brake caliper and move it to the centered position = no fuss no bother. My bicycle with the New 600 groupset still shifts flawlessly to. I think thatthe old stuff had a lot less that could go wrong with it in the shifting department.

Cheers

Duane[_3_] May 8th 17 02:59 PM

On 08/05/2017 7:26 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

There's a lot to be said for some of the older bikes, especially the
well made ones. I just gave my old Bianchi to someone who needed a bike
and it's still working quite well for them. That said, a lot of the
changes have been improvements in performance or function in my opinion.

My current bike is lighter and handles better, the brifters blow off the
bar end shifters on the Bianchi (at least they were index shifters) and
the gearing is much more suited for the riding I'm doing now on the
current bike. I agree that sometime simpler is easier to maintain but
not always equivalent in function.

[email protected] May 8th 17 03:06 PM

On Monday, May 8, 2017 at 4:26:18 AM UTC-7, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

The old groups only had to shift five or six speeds and the downtube shifters had a straight shot at the derailers. Everything was built very strongly in comparison to what we have today and all of the parts were metal without sections of them being made out of plastic and then covered with carbon cloth and entitled "Carbon Fiber".

It's no surprise that not only have they survived but they still work almost as well as new.

Joerg[_2_] May 8th 17 03:45 PM

On 2017-05-07 16:52, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/7/2017 4:20 PM, wrote:
On 7 May 2017 19:53:26 GMT, Robert Latest wrote:

...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette. Duh.

robert

Just came back from a ride on my 30 year old Shimano 18 speed
equipped Raleigh Century. (all original including the tires -)

And me, on my 1986 Cannondale touring bike. Not all original - I
changed the brakes and built wheels to switch from 27" to 700c.

But the drive system is original except for replacing cogs and chains. I
was given a nearly full sprocket board, which has enabled me to keep the
freewheels going. I'll run out of cogs some day, but it's good for a
while longer.

raises_hand

Me, on a 1982 custom road bike with Gazelle steel frame and Shimano
600EX, downtube shifters. The bike isn't 100% original. New LED
lighting, of course. The freehub is HG because I could not find UG
anymore after the last one wore out.

However, only 14 speed. Used to be 12. Balmy weather, a nice
after-church 23-miler. With brewpub stop, of course.

http://edhbrewing.com/menu.html

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Joerg[_2_] May 8th 17 03:56 PM

On 2017-05-08 04:26, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Sunday, May 7, 2017 at 3:53:29 PM UTC-4, Robert Latest wrote:
...after I properly re-sorted the spacers in the rear cassette.
Duh.

robert

It's pretty amazing how well a lot of the 1980s (or a lot earlier)
stuff still works if it's maintained reasnonably well rather than
abused. I have a bicycle with the old Shimano 600 EX stuff on it
including the scallop headset and I never have problems with it.

And if that choice words deleted scalloped headset shakes loose all
the time there is a solution which works to this day on my road bike:

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Hoseclamp.JPG

8-)

... I
even have a number of NOS Uniglidge cassettes for it.

I used HG cassettes on the UG freehub by dremeling away part of the wide
splines. Now that the last UG hub wore out and is gone I can use HG
cassettes as-is but dremeling still affords me the chance of flipping a
worn sprocket around for a 2nd life, accepting a more sluggish shift.

... I also have
another bicycle with Duara Ace AX on itthat's still going strong. I
just adore the stopping power of those brakes. Plus those brakes are
the absolute easiest brakes to center if they should ever get knocked
off center = just hold the center section of the brake caliper and
move it to the centered position = no fuss no bother. My bicycle with
the New 600 groupset still shifts flawlessly to. I think thatthe old
stuff had a lot less that could go wrong with it in the shifting
department.

Oh yeah!

However, now the BB is shot. Again. Those BBs weren't the best parts of
the Shimano 600 set.