CycleBanter.com

-   -   Rohloff Speedhub (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=75299)

Derk November 18th 04 10:00 PM

Rohloff Speedhub

Hi,

I would like to know if anyone here uses the Rohloff Sppedhub on his MTB.
Would you buy it again? Is it worth the extra investment?

TIA! Derk

Mark Vieselmeyer November 18th 04 11:50 PM

Derk wrote:
: Hi,

: I would like to know if anyone here uses the Rohloff Sppedhub on his MTB.
: Would you buy it again? Is it worth the extra investment?

Yes. In a list of possible expensive bike options, I would list it #1 in
terms of bang/buck.

- Mark

(Pete Cresswell) November 19th 04 12:43 AM

RE/
I would like to know if anyone here uses the Rohloff Sppedhub on his MTB.
Would you buy it again? Is it worth the extra investment?

It's noisy, heavy, less efficient, expensive to maintain, and costs an
arm-and-a-leg.

After a year on the first one, I bought another one for my other bike - and
can't imagine voluntarily riding without one ever again.

You, OTOH, might hate the thing....
--
PeteCresswell

dvt November 19th 04 01:56 PM

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
It's noisy, heavy, less efficient, expensive to maintain, and costs an
arm-and-a-leg.

What is "expensive to maintain" on a Rohloff hub?

--
Dave, who knows almost nothing about that hub
dvt at psu dot edu

S R Sharp November 19th 04 02:35 PM

dvt wrote:
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

It's noisy, heavy, less efficient, expensive to maintain, and costs an
arm-and-a-leg.

What is "expensive to maintain" on a Rohloff hub?

shipping charges to california

Tom Ace November 19th 04 06:04 PM

I'm using a Speedhub on a road bike, not an MTB,
but I think it's worth the money, and I would buy another.
One control gets you all the gears in sequence, you can
shift whether pedaling or not, the wheel has no dish,
indexing doesn't depend on getting cable (or any other)
adjustment right, and the hub is built to last.

In the higher gears, the drivetrain is quiet. In lower gears, not.

Tom Ace

m-gineering November 19th 04 06:15 PM

wrote:

Tom Ace writes:

I'm using a Speedhub on a road bike, not an MTB, but I think it's
worth the money, and I would buy another. One control gets you all
the gears in sequence, you can shift whether pedaling or not, the
wheel has no dish, indexing doesn't depend on getting cable (or any
other) adjustment right, and the hub is built to last.

In the higher gears, the drivetrain is quiet. In lower gears, not.

What sort of sound does it make? Is this a click from ratchets? The
way you say that it sounds ominous. Is there a serious problem?

lower gears use straight cut gears

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl

Derk November 19th 04 06:32 PM

wrote:

What sort of sound does it make? Is this a click from ratchets? The
way you say that it sounds ominous. Is there a serious problem?

It seems to be normal. I read this in a Dutch magazine test and I heard it
from several German riders......

Greets, Derk

(Pete Cresswell) November 19th 04 06:50 PM

RE/
What sort of sound does it make? Is this a click from ratchets? The
way you say that it sounds ominous. Is there a serious problem?

It gets noticibly less noisey with age - as in 700 miles or so.

Not a problem to me - and I'm fairly neurotic about stuff like that. Noise
doesn't manifest itself until gear 7 and below..and only a couple gears are
really noticible.
--
PeteCresswell

Derk November 19th 04 09:43 PM

m-gineering wrote:

lower gears use straight cut gears

Since you live in Holland and know the cycling conditions here I ask you the
same question: what's your opinion about using the Rohloff Speedhub here?
Is it worth investing in one?

Do you know of any (imported?) frames that were designed for the Rohloff
speedhub?

TIA, Derk