CycleBanter.com

-   -   Carpocalypse (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257153)

Bret Cahill March 5th 19 06:03 AM

Carpocalypse

Fewer cars but each car spends much more time on the road.

Maybe this could be the end of driveways:

https://www.businessinsider.com/carp...-europe-2019-3

TMS320 March 5th 19 02:21 PM

Carpocalypse

On 05/03/2019 05:03, Bret Cahill wrote:
Fewer cars but each car spends much more time on the road.

Maybe this could be the end of driveways:

https://www.businessinsider.com/carp...-europe-2019-3

They keep wringing their hands over it but the chart shows production
fall against a few good years; it's probably just a return to trend.
Since cars last a long time, I am sure the population of cars must still
be rising.

Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_] March 5th 19 09:07 PM

Carpocalypse

On Tue, 05 Mar 2019 13:21:12 GMT, TMS320 wrote:

On 05/03/2019 05:03, Bret Cahill wrote:
Fewer cars but each car spends much more time on the road.

Maybe this could be the end of driveways:

https://www.businessinsider.com/carp...bile-sales-dat
a-us-europe-2019-3

They keep wringing their hands over it but the chart shows production
fall against a few good years; it's probably just a return to trend.
Since cars last a long time, I am sure the population of cars must
still be rising.

I doubt it'll slow down global warming a jot.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.

[email protected] March 5th 19 09:25 PM

Carpocalypse

On Tuesday, 5 March 2019 20:07:05 UTC, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Tue, 05 Mar 2019 13:21:12 GMT, TMS320 wrote:

On 05/03/2019 05:03, Bret Cahill wrote:
Fewer cars but each car spends much more time on the road.

Maybe this could be the end of driveways:

https://www.businessinsider.com/carp...bile-sales-dat
a-us-europe-2019-3

They keep wringing their hands over it but the chart shows production
fall against a few good years; it's probably just a return to trend.
Since cars last a long time, I am sure the population of cars must
still be rising.

I doubt it'll slow down global warming a jot.

Who cares.
I will be dead long before this has any effect and as an atheist I wont be in any position to care.

GB[_5_] March 5th 19 09:38 PM

Carpocalypse

On 05/03/2019 20:25, wrote:

Who cares.
I will be dead long before this has any effect and as an atheist I wont be in any position to care.

Isn't that a psychopathic attitude? You'll foul up the only planet we
have to live on because it won't affect you? Don't you feel any
responsibility to others at all?

Simon Jester March 5th 19 11:47 PM

Carpocalypse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqZsoesa55w

Bod[_5_] March 6th 19 08:37 AM

Carpocalypse

On 05/03/2019 20:38, GB wrote:
On 05/03/2019 20:25, wrote:

Who cares.
I will be dead long before this has any effect and as an atheist I
wont be in any position to care.

Isn't that a psychopathic attitude? You'll foul up the only planet we
have to live on because it won't affect you? Don't you feel any
responsibility to others at all?

He didn't say he didn't care whilst he is alive, just stating the

fact that when he's dead he couldn't do anything about it anyway.

--
Bod

---

Peter Keller[_3_] March 6th 19 10:27 AM

Carpocalypse

On 06/03/2019 09:07, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Tue, 05 Mar 2019 13:21:12 GMT, TMS320 wrote:

On 05/03/2019 05:03, Bret Cahill wrote:
Fewer cars but each car spends much more time on the road.

Maybe this could be the end of driveways:

https://www.businessinsider.com/carp...bile-sales-dat
a-us-europe-2019-3

They keep wringing their hands over it but the chart shows production
fall against a few good years; it's probably just a return to trend.
Since cars last a long time, I am sure the population of cars must
still be rising.

I doubt it'll slow down global warming a jot.

Correct.
To slow down global warming we must reduce emissions of greenhouse gases
into the atmosphere by over 80%.
Meanwhile the population of the world is now nearly 8B and is increasing
at 1-2% pa. While this goes on any reduction in greenhouse gas emissions
simply will not happen - all those teeming millions in Africa, Asia and
other places will want their increase in standard of living.
The only thing that will work is a big reduction in the world's
population of humans.
This will happen anyway.
Whether it be through war or pestilence or some more humane means is
really up to us.

GB[_5_] March 6th 19 02:59 PM

Carpocalypse

On 06/03/2019 07:37, Bod wrote:
On 05/03/2019 20:38, GB wrote:
On 05/03/2019 20:25, wrote:

Who cares.
I will be dead long before this has any effect and as an atheist I
wont be in any position to care.

Isn't that a psychopathic attitude? You'll foul up the only planet we
have to live on because it won't affect you? Don't you feel any
responsibility to others at all?

He didn't say he didn't care whilst he is alive, just stating the

fact that when he's dead he couldn't do anything about it anyway.

He starts off by saying "Who cares", though.