CycleBanter.com

-   -   Shifter cables - Whats out there ? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=252166)

ixiz March 9th 17 12:52 PM

Shifter cables - Whats out there ?

Looking for shifter cables (system = sleeve and cable)
Whats the smoothest or lowest resistance system available today off the shelf ?

Or
Should i keep the old sleeve (which has been in use for 1-2 years) and just replace the cable ?
I dont use grease the cables - just wipe with light oil

AMuzi March 9th 17 02:31 PM

On 3/9/2017 6:52 AM, ixiz wrote:
Looking for shifter cables (system = sleeve and cable)
Whats the smoothest or lowest resistance system available today off the shelf ?

Or
Should i keep the old sleeve (which has been in use for 1-2 years) and just replace the cable ?
I dont use grease the cables - just wipe with light oil

Unless there is damage to the casing or you are tired of the
color, new wires should do it. Take a close look at the
various casing ends especially if there are any plastic
ferrules which have an annoyingly high failure rate.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Benderthe.evilrobot March 9th 17 08:54 PM

"ixiz" wrote in message
Looking for shifter cables (system = sleeve and cable)
Whats the smoothest or lowest resistance system available today off the
shelf ?

Or
Should i keep the old sleeve (which has been in use for 1-2 years) and
just replace the cable ?
I dont use grease the cables - just wipe with light oil

You can get PTFE coated inners - black like a non-stick pan. Pretty good
IME.

Bedded in outers are better - less sharp edges to scrape the PTFE off the
inner.

So far I've only seen them on sale as sets/kits - the outer isn't coated, so
if you see inners offered on their own - buy.

Sir Ridesalot March 9th 17 09:05 PM

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 at 3:53:05 PM UTC-5, Benderthe.evilrobot wrote:
"ixiz" wrote in message
Looking for shifter cables (system = sleeve and cable)
Whats the smoothest or lowest resistance system available today off the
shelf ?

Or
Should i keep the old sleeve (which has been in use for 1-2 years) and
just replace the cable ?
I dont use grease the cables - just wipe with light oil

You can get PTFE coated inners - black like a non-stick pan. Pretty good
IME.

Bedded in outers are better - less sharp edges to scrape the PTFE off the
inner.

So far I've only seen them on sale as sets/kits - the outer isn't coated, so
if you see inners offered on their own - buy.

Only until that coating starts to wear off the inner cable and gums up your shifting something fierce.

Cheers