CycleBanter.com

-   -   100-year-old cyclist rides 62 miles (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=238567)

Garrison Hilliard September 28th 12 05:14 PM

100-year-old cyclist rides 62 miles

LYON, France (AP) - French cyclist Robert Marchand has ridden 100
kilometers (62 miles) in 4 hours, 17 minutes and 27 seconds.
Doesn't sound fast? Consider this: Marchand is 100 years old.
Setting off on his Trek racing bike around noon at a track in Lyon,
Marchand covered the distance at an average pace of 23.3 kph (14.5
mph) - not far off the 24.251 kph pace he kept up to set the world
hour record for his age group in Switzerland last February.
No prior record for a centenarian riding 100 km exists, but cycling's
international governing body will recognize Marchand's feat, French
cycling federation head David Lappartient said.
The president of Marchand's cycling club says he's an inspiration.
"He's an example for humanity, he gives people hope," said Gerard
Mistler.

Read mo
http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_n...#ixzz27mWaMaUK

Jeff Liebermann September 28th 12 05:27 PM

100-year-old cyclist rides 62 miles

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 12:14:10 -0400, Garrison Hilliard
wrote:

LYON, France (AP) - French cyclist Robert Marchand has ridden 100
kilometers (62 miles) in 4 hours, 17 minutes and 27 seconds.

It's not the first record that he's broken:
http://bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/2012/02/17/100-year-old-sets-cycling-record/
I'm impressed (and jealous).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Dan O September 28th 12 06:27 PM

On Friday, September 28, 2012 9:13:47 AM UTC-7, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
[...]

Agreed, an example for humanity.

(Interesting math: I'm ~half his age, ~double his speed. Not sure if there's any meaning... )

Dan O September 28th 12 07:15 PM

On Friday, September 28, 2012 10:27:26 AM UTC-7, Dan O wrote:
[...]

I've miscalculated - I'm nowhere near double his speed. (Maybe closer on a racing bike, around a track... )

Duane Hébert September 28th 12 07:38 PM

On 09/28/2012 02:15 PM, Dan O wrote:
[...]

I was going to ask how you maintain 46.6 kph over 100k but the last guys
that won our 40k TT did that speed so I figured anything is possible.
And besides, I don't want to question typos.

Jay Beattie September 28th 12 07:40 PM

wrote:
LYON, France (AP) - French cyclist Robert Marchand has ridden 100
kilometers (62 miles) in 4 hours, 17 minutes and 27 seconds.

It's not the first record that he's broken:
http://bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/2012/02/17/100-year-old-sets-cyclin...
I'm impressed (and jealous).

Well, the dude could probably take the world record or title in the
over-100 category for every event -- pursuit, madison, RR, time
trial, etc., etc. Team pursuit or TT might be hard -- digging up
enough over-100 riders to fill out the team. There is no doubt that he
is a genetic freak considering that less than one percent of the total
population lives to 100.

-- Jay Beattie.

DirtRoadie September 28th 12 08:32 PM

wrote:
LYON, France (AP) - French cyclist Robert Marchand has ridden 100
kilometers (62 miles) in 4 hours, 17 minutes and 27 seconds.

It's not the first record that he's broken:
http://bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/2012/02/17/100-year-old-sets-cyclin....
I'm impressed (and jealous).

Well, the dude could probably take the world record or title in the
over-100 category for every event *-- pursuit, madison, RR, time
trial, etc., etc. *Team pursuit or TT might be hard -- digging up
enough over-100 riders to fill out the team. There is no doubt that he
is a genetic freak considering that less than one percent of the total
population lives to 100.

-- Jay Beattie.

Well in comparison here's one of our local "juniors"dudes. Now a
youthful 80.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiBZjXJLd3k
He had a rough go of it this summer, cracking his pelvis in an
"unearned" crash in a club ride.
Just an unseen wayward rock on the road.
DR

thirty-six September 28th 12 11:12 PM

On 28 Sep, 17:13, Garrison Hilliard wrote:
LYON, France (AP) - French cyclist Robert Marchand has ridden 100
kilometers (62 miles) in 4 hours, 17 minutes and 27 seconds.
Doesn't sound fast? Consider this: Marchand is 100 years old.
Setting off on his Trek racing bike around noon at a track in Lyon,
Marchand covered the distance at an average pace of 23.3 kph (14.5
mph) - not far off the 24.251 kph pace he kept up to set the world
hour record for his age group in Switzerland last February.
No prior record for a centenarian riding 100 km exists, but cycling's
international governing body will recognize Marchand's feat, French
cycling federation head David Lappartient said.
The president of Marchand's cycling club says he's an inspiration.
"He's an example for humanity, he gives people hope," said Gerard
Mistler.

Read mohttp://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/local_n...ndred-year-old...

anyone know what pedals he used?

Jeff Liebermann September 28th 12 11:35 PM

100-year-old cyclist rides 62 miles

wrote:
LYON, France (AP) - French cyclist Robert Marchand has ridden 100
kilometers (62 miles) in 4 hours, 17 minutes and 27 seconds.

It's not the first record that he's broken:
http://bicycling.com/blogs/thehub/2012/02/17/100-year-old-sets-cyclin...
I'm impressed (and jealous).

Well, the dude could probably take the world record or title in the
over-100 category for every event -- pursuit, madison, RR, time
trial, etc., etc. Team pursuit or TT might be hard -- digging up
enough over-100 riders to fill out the team. There is no doubt that he
is a genetic freak considering that less than one percent of the total
population lives to 100.
-- Jay Beattie.

Yeah, I know. Still, I'm impressed and jealous. The Bicycling
articles mentions that he started riding at age 78.

Checking the math:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centenarian
In the US 70,490 over 100 out of a population of about 310 million.
That's about 0.023%, which is considerably less than 1%.

For the world, they claim 455,000 over 100 out of a world population
of about 6.8 billion in 2009 or 0.0067%

Yeah, putting together a team is going to be difficult.

datakoll September 29th 12 12:58 AM

100-year-old cyclist rides 62 miles

pedals pedals ? HGH French Timers...

you guys are freakin gullible after swalling the TdF

INCROYABLE !

I'M OUTTTA HERE.........__________