CycleBanter.com

-   -   Brooks B17 saddle (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=100213)

Paulmouk June 20th 05 09:59 PM

Brooks B17 saddle

"Nick." wrote in message
I have just bought a B17 on recommendation from a friend as a replacement
saddle for my Dawes Galaxy.

On getting home and taking a closer look at the saddle, I notice there is
a very sharp ridge, running along the boundary between the "seat" and
"vertical" areas of the saddle. This ridge is perhaps 0.5 - 1mm, but sharp
enough to cause a slight graze should you scrape it across your skin. It
looks like it could be quite painful on a ride.

This is obviously part of the leather moulding process, but I would like
to know: Is it normal? Will it ease out during the breaking-in period, or
is this a case of poor production? I.e. Should I fit it to the bike &
start applying Proofide and hope that the ridge will disappear during
breaking in, or should I return the saddle to the bike shop?

Any comments from Brooks owners appreciated...

Nick

I have a year old B17.
The 'ridge' is smooth, rounded and very, very slight.
Running my fingernail down the saddle, I can just about get the nail to
catch.
Yours doesn't sound right to me.
Paul

John Horobin June 20th 05 10:28 PM