CycleBanter.com

-   -   New helmet technology? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=235196)

[email protected] March 2nd 12 03:18 AM

New helmet technology?

http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

John Dacey March 2nd 12 03:35 PM

New helmet technology?

On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 20:18:28 -0700, wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Perhaps this design might have application in motorsport where the
innermost helmet liner is more effectively coupled to the wearer's
head, but typical retention straps on bicycle helmets already allow
for plenty of "float" between helmet and skull.

At least as it relates to bikes, I think the chief benefit is likely
to be providing the mips people with a nice sinecure.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Our 28th year
http://businesscycles.com
-------------------------------

thirty-six March 2nd 12 03:49 PM

New helmet technology?

On Mar 2, 3:18*am, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Tosspot[_3_] March 2nd 12 04:00 PM

New helmet technology?

On 02/03/12 15:49, thirty-six wrote:
On Mar 2, 3:18 am, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Whatever happened to those?

Sir Ridesalot March 2nd 12 05:21 PM

New helmet technology?

On Mar 2, 3:18 am, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Whatever happened to those?

I have one. It looks so vintage displayed with the vintage bike on the
wall.

Not much protection but they are a lot cooler than styrofoam lined
ones.

Cheers

Tosspot[_3_] March 2nd 12 08:43 PM

New helmet technology?

On Mar 2, 3:18 am, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Whatever happened to those?

I have one. It looks so vintage displayed with the vintage bike on the
wall.

Not much protection but they are a lot cooler than styrofoam lined
ones.

That was my thinking, couldn't they be fabricated with EPF instead of the old
soft foam. Motorbike racers use leathers, can't be all bad...

Dan O March 3rd 12 01:54 AM

New helmet technology?

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...62efb550cbbebf

Dan O March 3rd 12 01:58 AM

New helmet technology?

On Mar 2, 7:35 am, John Dacey wrote:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2012 20:18:28 -0700, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Perhaps this design might have application in motorsport where the
innermost helmet liner is more effectively coupled to the wearer's
head, but typical retention straps on bicycle helmets already allow
for plenty of "float" between helmet and skull.

At least as it relates to bikes, I think the chief benefit is likely
to be providing the mips people with a nice sinecure.

POC MIPS are basically designed for freestyle downhill skiing, I
think, but could find a good application in e.g. downhill bicycling.
(This opinion from someone who's crashed more different ways than most
people.)

Dan O March 3rd 12 02:00 AM

New helmet technology?

On Mar 2, 7:49 am, thirty-six wrote:
On Mar 2, 3:18 am, wrote:

http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Anyone is free to wear one (unless their religion forbids it, I
suppose), but it seems to me it would be relatively hot and
ineffective.

Dan O March 3rd 12 02:02 AM

New helmet technology?

On Mar 2, 3:18 am, wrote:
http://www.gizmag.com/mips-helmet-technology/21656/

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

One day someone will invent the leather hairnet.

Whatever happened to those?

I have one. It looks so vintage displayed with the vintage bike on the
wall.

Not much protection but they are a lot cooler than styrofoam lined
ones.

That was my thinking, couldn't they be fabricated with EPF instead of the old
soft foam. Motorbike racers use leathers, can't be all bad...

Purely abrasion protection (and modest puncture protection) - no
impact protection. Also, they look cool with custom design and chicks
dig 'em.