CycleBanter.com

-   Rides (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Amtrack Century Route (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=36490)

Anthony G Gough June 12th 04 04:30 AM

Amtrack Century Route

Does anyone have a route map for the Amtrack Century, Orange County to San
Deigo?

My wife is going to ride her first century and I would like to do some
training rides with her on the route.

Thanks!
Tony

Alexander Gilchrist June 14th 04 02:02 PM

Amtrack Century Route

Tony asked:
Does anyone have a route map for the Amtrack Century, Orange County to San
Deigo?

Any manned Amtrak station will have one. They can also be requested
(free) from Amtrak by snail-mail. The routemaps may also be available
on their website.

whinds June 14th 04 03:42 PM

Amtrack Century Route

In article , "Anthony G Gough"
writes:

Does anyone have a route map for the Amtrack Century, Orange County to San
Deigo?

My wife is going to ride her first century and I would like to do some
training rides with her on the route.

Thanks!
Tony

Tony, Contact the Orange County Wheelmen the sponsors of this ride at
www.ocw.org. Their web page has a contact phone number. They have training
rides for all levels. The only problem with this ride is in the Camp Pendelton
area because the Marines no longer allows riders through the base because of
security issues. I have heard of riders being allowed through if they have a
active or retired military I.D. To get around the military base you have to get
on the 5 freeway at the Las Pulgas On Ramp and, I think, get off at Oceanside.
Except for the freeway which can be hairy on the weekends or anytime for that
matter. The only bad hill is atTorrey Pines, others here probably know a route
around this. For training, you could just do the ride until Las Pulgas, ride
back to the start, and then transport the bikes to Oceanside and then continue.
Be sure and watch the Orange County Wheelmen's web page and sign up early as
this is a popular ride and fills up fast.
Good Luck and hope to see you on the AMTRAK century.
Bill

[email protected] July 12th 12 06:36 AM

Amtrack Century Route

This isn't the official route, but its the best route from north OC to San Diego.

http://www.velorider.org/bike-routes...e-to-san-diego