CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   mobile phone jammers (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=174629)

Meeba[_11_] December 2nd 07 10:20 AM

mobile phone jammers

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...394689074.html

Secretly ld love one of those battery operated ones to flick on when l
see drivers on the phone!
But not good as they block emergency vehicle transmissions.......

Maybe the range could be smaller + be put inside cars to prevent phone
use in moving car.
l reckon all drivers caught texting should have their phone instantly
confiscated and smashed by cops :D

--
Meeba

TimC December 2nd 07 10:57 AM

mobile phone jammers

On 2007-12-02, Meeba (aka Bruce)

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...394689074.html

Secretly ld love one of those battery operated ones to flick on when l
see drivers on the phone!
But not good as they block emergency vehicle transmissions.......

Maybe the range could be smaller + be put inside cars to prevent phone
use in moving car.
l reckon all drivers caught texting should have their phone instantly
confiscated and smashed by cops :D

Nah, I reckon their batteries should explode :)

I thouroughly endorse the products and/or services advertised on the
site mentioned in that article. However, I believe the 40W device
should come with big warning labels "if you value your balls, stay
away from this".

The (U.S.?) police are currently experimenting with microwave devices
to disable post-1979 car electronics. I want one of those too.

--
TimC
We are no longer the knights who say "ni"

Adam F[_4_] December 2nd 07 11:09 AM

mobile phone jammers

On 2007-12-02, Meeba (aka Bruce)
http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...394689074.html

Secretly ld love one of those battery operated ones to flick on when l
see drivers on the phone!
But not good as they block emergency vehicle transmissions.......

Maybe the range could be smaller + be put inside cars to prevent phone
use in moving car.
l reckon all drivers caught texting should have their phone instantly
confiscated and smashed by cops :D

Nah, I reckon their batteries should explode :)

I thouroughly endorse the products and/or services advertised on the
site mentioned in that article. However, I believe the 40W device
should come with big warning labels "if you value your balls, stay
away from this".

The (U.S.?) police are currently experimenting with microwave devices
to disable post-1979 car electronics. I want one of those too.

Hmm there are quite a few critical systems which are now electronic on
eg new Audis - you could find your gearbox suddenly going into reverse
or engine management system going nuts and opening the throttle wide.
Come to think of it, I bet the police are looking forward to the fun ;)

--
//Adam F

John Tserkezis December 2nd 07 11:45 AM

mobile phone jammers

TimC wrote:

The (U.S.?) police are currently experimenting with microwave devices
to disable post-1979 car electronics. I want one of those too.

Have you got a link for this? I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Motor vehicle electronics lives within one of the most vicious electrical
environments around. There's a lot of work that goes into not only shielding,
but recovery (rebooting) of the microprocessor when things go wobbly.
This is not a feature, you absolutely need it otherwise your car would work
much like M$ Windows, it stops in the middle of the freeway, you turn off,
crank again, and away you go.

It's so good at it, it could crash and restart without the barest glitch as
far as the driver is concerned.

With this in mind, you would need some serious interference to clap out the
thing.

This is one of the things that I'd want to see before I believe it.
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
http://counter.li.org

TimC December 2nd 07 09:38 PM

mobile phone jammers

On 2007-12-02, John Tserkezis (aka Bruce)
TimC wrote:

The (U.S.?) police are currently experimenting with microwave devices
to disable post-1979 car electronics. I want one of those too.

Have you got a link for this? I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Can't find the original link I read, so these dodgy news sites will do
instead:

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/Fut...=538452&page=1
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/1...-car-stop.html

The piccie I saw was a ****off big cone shaped antennae (he he, I was
going to do radio astronomy at some point in time, and I can't tell my
various antennae apart) on the roof, hanging over the front of the
police vehicle, directed at the chasee vehicle. I'd hate to get
impaled on the antennae should things go wrong.

--
TimC
I saw a slow moving, sad faced old gentleman as he bounced off the

Terryc[_3_] December 3rd 07 05:17 AM

mobile phone jammers

Meeba wrote:

But not good as they block emergency vehicle transmissions.......

AFAIK emergency vehicles do not reply on mobile telephones.

Theo Bekkers December 3rd 07 05:26 AM

mobile phone jammers

Terryc wrote:
Meeba wrote:

But not good as they block emergency vehicle transmissions.......

AFAIK emergency vehicles do not reply on mobile telephones.

Wrong again Terry. Our fire vehicles have an inbuilt hands-free mobile
phone. Put there by FESA.

Theo

John Tserkezis December 3rd 07 06:37 AM

mobile phone jammers

TimC wrote:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2007/1...-car-stop.html

"In tests on four vehicles, the researchers were able to disable cars from 10
to 50 feet away."

:-) Hardly practical, considering the projected size of the transmission
antenna.. Not something you could swivel in a practical manner on the side of
the road, and probably not viable on the roof of a vehicle either...

It'll be a long while before I become concerned about it.

Terryc[_3_] December 3rd 07 11:37 AM

mobile phone jammers

Theo Bekkers wrote:

Wrong again Terry. Our fire vehicles have an inbuilt hands-free mobile
phone. Put there by FESA.

Wow, this is your sole means of comminication? Explains a lot.

Theo Bekkers December 4th 07 12:16 AM

mobile phone jammers

Terryc wrote:
Theo Bekkers wrote:

Wrong again Terry. Our fire vehicles have an inbuilt hands-free
mobile phone. Put there by FESA.

Wow, this is your sole means of comminication? Explains a lot.

Come on Terry, you're not that stupid, are you? They're there in case of an
emergency that they don't want to discuss on the radio.

Theo