CycleBanter.com

-   -   "How Low-Income Cyclists Go Unnoticed" (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=253903)

SMS May 18th 17 11:48 PM

"How Low-Income Cyclists Go Unnoticed"

"There really is a world where people pedal to work, use bikes for
everyday transportation and, by riding, form close communities of
friends and neighbors—and it exists right in your own town"

http://www.bicycling.com/culture/advocacy/how-low-income-cyclists-go-unnoticed

In Silicon Valley we have the well-off tech professionals that ride
their nice commute bikes to work. We have the day workers riding their
Walmart bikes. We have the middle school and high school students riding
to and from school. We have the Chinese grandparents, that live with
their kids and don't drive, riding to the store or riding to the schools
to pick up their grandchildren.

Tim McNamara May 19th 17 04:08 AM

"How Low-Income Cyclists Go Unnoticed"

People with low incomes generally go unnoticed in America... except when
they vote for Donald Trump. The Democrats just assume that they will
get the votes of those folks, and the Republicans don't think we're
their constituents. Both were wrong, as it turned out. Not that Trump
was even remotely an effective choice beyond putting the cat amongst the
pigeons.

AMuzi May 19th 17 02:12 PM

On 5/18/2017 10:08 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
People with low incomes generally go unnoticed in America... except when
they vote for Donald Trump. The Democrats just assume that they will
get the votes of those folks, and the Republicans don't think we're
their constituents. Both were wrong, as it turned out. Not that Trump
was even remotely an effective choice beyond putting the cat amongst the
pigeons.

Which is in itself one solution, everything else having failed.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Duane[_3_] May 19th 17 02:15 PM

On 19/05/2017 9:12 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/18/2017 10:08 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
People with low incomes generally go unnoticed in America... except when
they vote for Donald Trump. The Democrats just assume that they will
get the votes of those folks, and the Republicans don't think we're
their constituents. Both were wrong, as it turned out. Not that Trump
was even remotely an effective choice beyond putting the cat amongst the
pigeons.

Which is in itself one solution, everything else having failed.

Sad that the choice of cats was so limited though.

[email protected] May 19th 17 02:49 PM

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 6:15:18 AM UTC-7, Duane wrote:
On 19/05/2017 9:12 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/18/2017 10:08 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
People with low incomes generally go unnoticed in America... except when
they vote for Donald Trump. The Democrats just assume that they will
get the votes of those folks, and the Republicans don't think we're
their constituents. Both were wrong, as it turned out. Not that Trump
was even remotely an effective choice beyond putting the cat amongst the
pigeons.

Which is in itself one solution, everything else having failed.

Sad that the choice of cats was so limited though.

Hey Duane - why don't you say that in my presence?

AMuzi May 19th 17 03:44 PM

On 5/19/2017 8:15 AM, Duane wrote:
On 19/05/2017 9:12 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/18/2017 10:08 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
People with low incomes generally go unnoticed in
America... except when
they vote for Donald Trump. The Democrats just assume
that they will
get the votes of those folks, and the Republicans don't
think we're
their constituents. Both were wrong, as it turned out.
Not that Trump
was even remotely an effective choice beyond putting the
cat amongst the
pigeons.

Which is in itself one solution, everything else having
failed.

Sad that the choice of cats was so limited though.

True, but the only cat at hand.

Doug Landau May 19th 17 07:38 PM

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 8:08:07 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
People with low incomes generally go unnoticed in America... except when
they vote for Donald Trump. The Democrats just assume that they will
get the votes of those folks, and the Republicans don't think we're
their constituents.

Hmmm. What was your income last year?

[email protected] May 19th 17 08:09 PM

On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 5:51:45 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:

http://www.bicycling.com/culture/advocacy/how-low-income-cyclists-go-unnoticed

In Silicon Valley we have the well-off tech professionals that ride
their nice commute bikes to work. We have the day workers riding their
Walmart bikes. We have the middle school and high school students riding
to and from school. We have the Chinese grandparents, that live with
their kids and don't drive, riding to the store or riding to the schools
to pick up their grandchildren.

"We have the middle school and high school students riding to and from school."

I'd argue strongly with this one. Your other statements may be correct. But not this one in my part of the country. Or anywhere else except maybe, maybe Silicon Valley. Not even LA or San Diego where the weather is even better than San Fran. Maybe Mr. Muzi can weigh in. He lives in Madison, WI.. Not too far from my house. I doubt he sees many junior high or senior high kids riding bikes to school when he is riding to work each day. The weather is OK in May and September in Wisconsin, so that is not a factor. The other months may have unrideable weather in Madison.

[email protected] May 19th 17 11:02 PM

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 12:09:28 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I ride past many many schools. I have only VERY rarely seen so much as one bicycle there.

SMS May 20th 17 03:32 AM

"How Low-Income Cyclists Go Unnoticed"

On 5/19/2017 12:09 PM, wrote:

snip

I'd argue strongly with this one. Your other statements may be correct. But not this one in my part of the country. Or anywhere else except maybe, maybe Silicon Valley. Not even LA or San Diego where the weather is even better than San Fran.

My daughter was in the first class at a new middle school. The school
district apparently believed that no self-respecting parent would allow
their child to ride a bicycle to school because there are so many
parents that won't even let their kids walk one block. So they put in
one bike parking area and thought it would be more than enough. It was
OVERWHELMED with bicycles. They rushed to construct a second parking area.

At
,227m/data=!3m1!1e3
you can zoom in and see how many bicycles are there, upper left and
lower right. And this must have been a bad day because even though the
bike lots are pretty full, usually bikes are parked in other places,
like leaned against the chain link fences or locked to trees, because
there's not enough room. If you go northwest a bit you can see the
current Apple campus, adjacent to the school.

I scrolled over to the high school but the satellite image must have
been from a weekend as the campus has no cars and no bicycles. Every
Thursday I go to a Toastmasters meeting across from the school that
starts at the same time as school starts, and I end up riding with a lot
of high school students.

But the elementary school has very very few kids riding to school by
themselves though occasionally a parent is riding with a student.

I am surprised that other suburban areas are not similar to my city.