CycleBanter.com

-   -   spin bikes (aka spinning cycle or group cycle) (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=83522)

[email protected] February 23rd 05 09:05 PM

Oh, Carl,

Leave it to you to add some Brit colour to my spelling rant.

"Pedaling" is the American English spelling, "-lling" the British.

But you already knew that :o)

App

JeffWills February 23rd 05 09:14 PM

wrote:

Hey, cute girls are another attraction. Let's tell the truth, the

ratio
is generally up compared to the usual road ride.

The club I go to sponsors a cycling/triathlon team- there's usually a
bunch of animals (that is, hard-ridin' females) in the class (all men
are animals- everyone knows that). But don't tell my wife: she's the
one who drags me to the spin classes. If you think I avoid angering a
5-foot-10 blonde with a MSCS who's been married to me for 12 year,
well... you're darn right.

Some instructors have no idea what their audience is hearing. Your

ears
are especially delicate during exercise as has been noted here and
elsewhere. Earplugs are probably declasse but nice bright orange ones
would send a message. "Spin mix console" as another option? At the

YMCA
where I go, they started using radio. Cool, you don't use the
earphones, you can hear the instructor but *not* the music. Brilliant
f'n solution, concentration on mechanics and effort is made much
easier. --TP

Ooohh... that sounds great! I'll have to look into the "Spin Mix
console".

Jeff

Zog The Undeniable February 26th 05 06:23 PM

David Damerell wrote:

I have a good idea; something a bit like a spin bike, but useful for
transport, and which lets you see the country. We could call it "a
bicycle".

Isn't a spinning bicycle basically a fixed-gear (i.e. no freewheel)
exercise bike?

[email protected] March 4th 05 10:10 PM

Make it adjustable, but in seconds -- no one wants to waste valuable time
setting up a bike for a 1-hour class.

Problems that I have seen in the past:

Couldn't adjust seat to handlebar distance.
Couldn't adjust seatpost angle.
Couldn't adjust crank length.
Couldn't adjust bike angle to simulate hill-climbing.
Didn't have a fan that goes to 20+mph (ideally correlated with
simulated speed).

Would also like electronics to report on problems such
as unbalanced pedaling (one leg stronger than the other).

On 22 Feb 2005 10:02:07 -0800, (Chris Bastock) wrote:

Dear All,
I am a student at Staffordshire University, studying a
BA(Hons) in Product Design. For my final year I am going to be
designing a new spin bike (aka spinning cycle or group cycle), but at
the moment my knowledge is limited. Who better to ask, than people who
are into fitness or cyclists? So in my investigation I was told to use
the Google Groups for help. In my research I will be looking at
existing Spin bikes. So if people could reply with problems that have
occurred when using the bikes, I would be very grateful. An example of
this could be sitting on the bike, paddling, or the general style.
This would be a great help to me and vital research for the project.

Thank you for your time and hope to hear from people, soon.