CycleBanter.com

CycleBanter.com (http://www.cyclebanter.com/index.php)
-   Techniques (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Well the bike did it so maybe someone knows (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=257879)

Mark Cleary[_3_] August 6th 19 07:21 PM

Well the bike did it so maybe someone knows

I wiped out on ice almost 4 years ago broke my hip. Well as it turned out I managed ok not dislocated and I have 3 Stainless Steel Cannulated screws in my right hip. I guess I don't notice and no scar but I have to travel by plane for first time since.

Will these screws since stainless steel set off the detector? Should I tell them ahead of time or just go through? \

Deacon Mark

Mark Cleary[_3_] August 6th 19 07:22 PM

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 1:21:37 PM UTC-5, Mark Cleary wrote:
I wiped out on ice almost 4 years ago broke my hip. Well as it turned out I managed ok not dislocated and I have 3 Stainless Steel Cannulated screws in my right hip. I guess I don't notice and no scar but I have to travel by plane for first time since.

Will these screws since stainless steel set off the detector? Should I tell them ahead of time or just go through? \

Deacon Mark

Googling the answer I get different responses,

Deacon Mark

Frank Krygowski[_4_] August 6th 19 08:01 PM

On 8/6/2019 2:21 PM, Mark Cleary wrote:

I know several people with various replacement joints and have traveled
with a couple of them. Yes, the detector will go off. No, it won't be
much of a problem. They deal with this all the time. They may use an
extra wand detector on you, but probably not more than that.

FWIW, last year we went to Europe with a good friend, a retired middle
school teacher, the mildest person you could meet. For whatever reason,
on re-entry to the U.S., they grabbed her and took her to a side room
and opened everything she was carrying. They searched her for about ten
minutes. When I tried to stay nearby so we wouldn't get separated, they
harshly sent me down the hallway. It wasn't because of any metal in her
body, and it certainly wasn't because she looked threatening in any way.

So some hassling is just random.

--
- Frank Krygowski

JBeattie August 6th 19 09:30 PM

On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 11:21:37 AM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:

Deacon Mark

It depends on the scanner. The conventional walk-through metal detectors are usually not that sensitive, although they will pick up a major joint like a hip.

The full body scanners don't really care -- the operator sees the implant and clears you through. Either way, its no big deal -- three screws are pretty innocuous. At worst, it would be a minor delay to get wanded and/or that bomb residue test. Stay away from fertilizer before your flight!

I always set off the metal detector at the federal courthouse but practically never at an airport. I have a rod, plate and screws in my right leg, plate and screws in my left ankle and a teeny plate and screws in my hand (skiing, skiing and cycling). TSA rarely bugs me, but then again, I have TSA pre now, and I can go through those lanes with my belt and shoes on. But even in the olden days, I rarely triggered the metal detectors.

-- Jay Beattie.

Mark Cleary[_3_] August 9th 19 11:49 AM

Did not set off any alarms went through ok.
Deacon Mark