CycleBanter.com

CycleBanter.com (http://www.cyclebanter.com/index.php)
-   Social Issues (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=243190)

EdwardDolan February 10th 14 08:31 PM

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails
 
"John B." wrote in message ...

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:47:55 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

Just another one of thousands of messages I have received via email newsletters about how mountain bikers are destroying everything connected with wilderness values by continuing to ride their bikes on hiking trails. May God Damn their rotten souls to everlasting Hellfire! Baring that eventuality, a good horsewhipping on their worthless backsides might do some good. Posse comitatus anyone?

Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 17:20:40 -0800
Subject: What did MCBC know and when did they know it?

Good letter. It's truly amazing to me how much these mtb'ers lie
so straight faced. Reminds me of an old joke about the wife who
walks in on her husband having an affair. Later that day he's in
complete denial saying it was her imagination and asked her if she
was going to believe him or her "lying eyes". That's exactly how
these bikers are. They say that the majority of them are harmless &
try to disassociate themselves with the more radical faction. The
only good thing about the obvious damage that's shown up is that it's
irrefutable evidence of what they want to use our formerly pristine
parks for that could hopefully mobilize the public against them.


More from the self anointed "brainless idiot".


**** you too Asshole!

Post content or get lost. What an Asshole!

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


EdwardDolan February 10th 14 08:34 PM

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails
 
"John B." wrote in message ...

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:34:33 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message ...
[...]

sorry doodles but I can't talk to you any more. As you say ,"Only the

brainless idiots to be found on this desultory newsgroup". You
certainly do a great job of self analysis, don't you.

You bet! **** you too Asshole!


Rather proves the "brainless idiots" title that you have allotted.


Post content or get lost. What an Asshole!

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great



EdwardDolan February 10th 14 09:07 PM

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails
 
"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

You obviously do not read your own mountain biker propaganda.
It is just chock full of nothing but enthusiasm for riding bikes on hiking
trails. I see very litte there about the dangers of mountain biking. I assure
you that most cyclists who ride their bikes on trails have no sense of the
danger of it.


We already had this conversation, and I posted links to a number of MTB sites which have crash and injury sections. Anyone who rides a bike understands that it is inherently unstable and they may fall off it.


It is a minority of cyclists who read that kind of ****. A bike is NOT inherently unstable, but it most certainly is when you are riding on a trail which was intended for walking.

I simply pointed out that the odds are not as extreme as you might

expect. And, for this reason, a goodly number of hikers do succumb to
fatal injuries as a result of hiking.

Hikers occasionally come to a bad end too but almost always
from doing something they shouldn't have been doing. With mountain bikers it is
just the opposite. They are doing what they think they should be doing and come
to a bad end as a direct result of it. The two cases are very
different.


This is your judgement ... you approve of hikers and disapprove of bikers. However, viewed objectively they are both doing the same thing .... recreation in a natural environment.


I have already stated many times in another thread on this newsgroup that hikers and bikers on trails are NOT doing the same thing at all. One is communing with nature and the other is desecrating nature for thrills and spills. It is why bikers need to have their own trails. What bikers are doing is not compatible with what hikers are doing. It is a conflict of both purpose and means.

That is NOT the norm with young males cycling on hiking
trails. The injuries and deaths are out of all proportion to any enjoyment
derived therefrom. It is an extremely dangerous thing to be doing. But there are
plenty of older males and women and children who also suffer injuries while
engaged in this "sport" because they are entirely ignorant of how dangerous it
is.


It's not that dangerous ... 0.00123 is a lot less than driving ... and most people do that quite happily every day.


And, even if you were correct, adults are entitled to risk their own necks.


These so called adults will soon be suing the owners and managers of these public and private lands for providing an unsafe venue for recreation.

I am just waiting for the lawsuits to commence. Someone needs
to be held responsible for this carnage.


You and I live in very different worlds. In mine, an adult is entitled to make their own decisions and then has to live with the consequences. Who do you propose is sued ?


See above sentence. This thread is going to contain many reports about cyclists who have seriously injured themselves doing what you are doing – riding their bikes on trails. I wish them dead for doing what they are doing, but you are far more cruel and callous because you encourage them. I want them to stop; you want them to continue. Who is the real death merchant here?

And, were your proposal to be adopted, think of all the other, more dangerous, sports ... what would happen there ? No more American Football for a start.


The fact is that most cyclists simply have no idea of how dangerous it is to bikes on trails. They buy a particular style of bike, see the trails and assume they are safe to ride. But they are NOT! This is fertile ground for lawsuits. ALL football players know full well the dangers of playing that incredibly stupid game. All the protective gear they wear tells the tale.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


John B.[_3_] February 11th 14 01:40 AM

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails
 
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:31:55 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"John B." wrote in message ...

On Sat, 8 Feb 2014 19:47:55 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

Just another one of thousands of messages I have received via email newsletters about how mountain bikers are destroying everything connected with wilderness values by continuing to ride their bikes on hiking trails. May God Damn their rotten souls to everlasting Hellfire! Baring that eventuality, a good horsewhipping on their worthless backsides might do some good. Posse comitatus anyone?

Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 17:20:40 -0800
Subject: What did MCBC know and when did they know it?

Good letter. It's truly amazing to me how much these mtb'ers lie
so straight faced. Reminds me of an old joke about the wife who
walks in on her husband having an affair. Later that day he's in
complete denial saying it was her imagination and asked her if she
was going to believe him or her "lying eyes". That's exactly how
these bikers are. They say that the majority of them are harmless &
try to disassociate themselves with the more radical faction. The
only good thing about the obvious damage that's shown up is that it's
irrefutable evidence of what they want to use our formerly pristine
parks for that could hopefully mobilize the public against them.


More from the self anointed "brainless idiot".


**** you too Asshole!

Ah, but you reinforce your previous argument that those who post here
are "brainless idiots". What is it that they say, "Profanity is the
last refuge of the feeble mind"?

Post content or get lost. What an Asshole!

Ah, but it is "content". You brought the subject up, you made the
statement that those who post on this site are "brainless idiots".
Hell, all I'm doing is agreeing with you that you post here and you
certainly are a brainless idiot.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. Whats the matter? Cant walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.[_3_] February 11th 14 01:40 AM

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails
 
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:07:25 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

You obviously do not read your own mountain biker propaganda.
It is just chock full of nothing but enthusiasm for riding bikes on hiking
trails. I see very litte there about the dangers of mountain biking. I assure
you that most cyclists who ride their bikes on trails have no sense of the
danger of it.


We already had this conversation, and I posted links to a number of MTB sites which have crash and injury sections. Anyone who rides a bike understands that it is inherently unstable and they may fall off it.


It is a minority of cyclists who read that kind of ****. A bike is NOT inherently unstable, but it most certainly is when you are riding on a trail which was intended for walking.

I simply pointed out that the odds are not as extreme as you might

expect. And, for this reason, a goodly number of hikers do succumb to
fatal injuries as a result of hiking.

Hikers occasionally come to a bad end too but almost always
from doing something they shouldn't have been doing. With mountain bikers it is
just the opposite. They are doing what they think they should be doing and come
to a bad end as a direct result of it. The two cases are very
different.


This is your judgement ... you approve of hikers and disapprove of bikers. However, viewed objectively they are both doing the same thing ... recreation in a natural environment.


I have already stated many times in another thread on this newsgroup that hikers and bikers on trails are NOT doing the same thing at all. One is communing with nature and the other is desecrating nature for thrills and spills. It is why bikers need to have their own trails. What bikers are doing is not compatible with what hikers are doing. It is a conflict of both purpose and means.

That is NOT the norm with young males cycling on hiking
trails. The injuries and deaths are out of all proportion to any enjoyment
derived therefrom. It is an extremely dangerous thing to be doing. But there are
plenty of older males and women and children who also suffer injuries while
engaged in this "sport" because they are entirely ignorant of how dangerous it
is.


It's not that dangerous ... 0.00123 is a lot less than driving ... and most people do that quite happily every day.


And, even if you were correct, adults are entitled to risk their own necks.


These so called adults will soon be suing the owners and managers of these public and private lands for providing an unsafe venue for recreation.


What's next? Suing the weather woman for saying it is 50% chance of
showers and you got rained on?

But the most likely result of a suit against "the owners and managers
of these public and private lands for providing an unsafe venue" will
be the immediate closing of these lands to any ingress whatsoever.


I am just waiting for the lawsuits to commence. Someone needs
to be held responsible for this carnage.


The CARNAGE MUST STOP! Close those Trails.
Jeasus Dolan, you have reached a new height in stupidity!

You and I live in very different worlds. In mine, an adult is entitled to make their own decisions and then has to live with the consequences. Who do you propose is sued ?


See above sentence. This thread is going to contain many reports about cyclists who have seriously injured themselves doing what you are doing riding their bikes on trails. I wish them dead for doing what they are doing, but you are far more cruel and callous because you encourage them. I want them to stop; you want them to continue. Who is the real death merchant here?

And, were your proposal to be adopted, think of all the other, more dangerous, sports ... what would happen there ? No more American Football for a start.


The fact is that most cyclists simply have no idea of how dangerous it is to bikes on trails. They buy a particular style of bike, see the trails and assume they are safe to ride. But they are NOT! This is fertile ground for lawsuits. ALL football players know full well the dangers of playing that incredibly stupid game. All the protective gear they wear tells the tale.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. Whats the matter? Cant walk?


No more walking Doodles, The trails are too dangerous.


Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.[_3_] February 11th 14 01:40 AM

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails
 
On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:07:25 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

You obviously do not read your own mountain biker propaganda.
It is just chock full of nothing but enthusiasm for riding bikes on hiking
trails. I see very litte there about the dangers of mountain biking. I assure
you that most cyclists who ride their bikes on trails have no sense of the
danger of it.


We already had this conversation, and I posted links to a number of MTB sites which have crash and injury sections. Anyone who rides a bike understands that it is inherently unstable and they may fall off it.


It is a minority of cyclists who read that kind of ****. A bike is NOT inherently unstable, but it most certainly is when you are riding on a trail which was intended for walking.

I simply pointed out that the odds are not as extreme as you might

expect. And, for this reason, a goodly number of hikers do succumb to
fatal injuries as a result of hiking.

Hikers occasionally come to a bad end too but almost always
from doing something they shouldn't have been doing. With mountain bikers it is
just the opposite. They are doing what they think they should be doing and come
to a bad end as a direct result of it. The two cases are very
different.


This is your judgement ... you approve of hikers and disapprove of bikers. However, viewed objectively they are both doing the same thing ... recreation in a natural environment.


I have already stated many times in another thread on this newsgroup that hikers and bikers on trails are NOT doing the same thing at all. One is communing with nature


Communing with nature, are you? Of course you are. You got the big
fluffy jackets, the sturdy hiking boots, the nice light weight tent.
It looks more like you are cocooning yourselves from nature rather
then communicating intimately with it.

But I suppose that it sounds better to say "I'm communing with nature"
rather then to say, "I got caught in a torrential downpour, wet all
over, water running down the crack between my buttocks, shivering and
shaking, I need to see a doctor".



That is NOT the norm with young males cycling on hiking
trails. The injuries and deaths are out of all proportion to any enjoyment
derived therefrom. It is an extremely dangerous thing to be doing. But there are
plenty of older males and women and children who also suffer injuries while
engaged in this "sport" because they are entirely ignorant of how dangerous it
is.


It's not that dangerous ... 0.00123 is a lot less than driving ... and most people do that quite happily every day.


And, even if you were correct, adults are entitled to risk their own necks.


These so called adults will soon be suing the owners and managers of these public and private lands for providing an unsafe venue for recreation.

I am just waiting for the lawsuits to commence. Someone needs
to be held responsible for this carnage.


You and I live in very different worlds. In mine, an adult is entitled to make their own decisions and then has to live with the consequences. Who do you propose is sued ?


See above sentence. This thread is going to contain many reports about cyclists who have seriously injured themselves doing what you are doing riding their bikes on trails. I wish them dead for doing what they are doing, but you are far more cruel and callous because you encourage them. I want them to stop; you want them to continue. Who is the real death merchant here?

And, were your proposal to be adopted, think of all the other, more dangerous, sports ... what would happen there ? No more American Football for a start.


The fact is that most cyclists simply have no idea of how dangerous it is to bikes on trails. They buy a particular style of bike, see the trails and assume they are safe to ride. But they are NOT! This is fertile ground for lawsuits. ALL football players know full well the dangers of playing that incredibly stupid game. All the protective gear they wear tells the tale.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. Whats the matter? Cant walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great

--
Cheers,

John B.

EdwardDolan February 11th 14 02:10 AM

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails
 
"John B." wrote in message ...
[...]

Ah, but you reinforce your previous argument that those who post here

are "brainless idiots". What is it that they say, "Profanity is the
last refuge of the feeble mind"?

Post content or get lost. What an Asshole!

Ah, but it is "content". You brought the subject up, you made the

statement that those who post on this site are "brainless idiots".
Hell, all I'm doing is agreeing with you that you post here and you
certainly are a brainless idiot.

Post content or get lost. What an Asshole!

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great



EdwardDolan February 11th 14 02:18 AM

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails
 
"John B." wrote in message ...
[...]

What's next? Suing the weather woman for saying it is 50% chance of

showers and you got rained on?

But the most likely result of a suit against "the owners and managers

of these public and private lands for providing an unsafe venue" will
be the immediate closing of these lands to any ingress whatsoever.

A likely result will be closing the trails to mountain biking. Such trails have been hiked for generations without any question of safety ever arising.

I am just waiting for the lawsuits to commence. Someone needs
to be held responsible for this carnage.


The CARNAGE MUST STOP! Close those Trails.

Jeasus Dolan, you have reached a new height in stupidity!

Very funny ... coming from the stupidest Asshole ever to post to this group!

Post content or get lost. What an Asshole!

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great


EdwardDolan February 11th 14 02:26 AM

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails
 
"John B." wrote in message ...

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:07:25 -0600, "EdwardDolan"
wrote:

"Blackblade" wrote in message ...

Edward Dolan wrote:

You obviously do not read your own mountain biker propaganda.
It is just chock full of nothing but enthusiasm for riding bikes on hiking
trails. I see very litte there about the dangers of mountain biking. I assure
you that most cyclists who ride their bikes on trails have no sense of the
danger of it.


We already had this conversation, and I posted links to a number of MTB sites which have crash and injury sections. Anyone who rides a bike understands that it is inherently unstable and they may fall off it.


It is a minority of cyclists who read that kind of ****. A bike is NOT inherently unstable, but it most certainly is when you are riding on a trail which was intended for walking.

I simply pointed out that the odds are not as extreme as you might

expect. And, for this reason, a goodly number of hikers do succumb to
fatal injuries as a result of hiking.

Hikers occasionally come to a bad end too but almost always
from doing something they shouldn't have been doing. With mountain bikers it is
just the opposite. They are doing what they think they should be doing and come
to a bad end as a direct result of it. The two cases are very
different.


This is your judgement ... you approve of hikers and disapprove of bikers. However, viewed objectively they are both doing the same thing .... recreation in a natural environment.


I have already stated many times in another thread on this newsgroup that hikers and bikers on trails are NOT doing the same thing at all. One is communing with nature


Communing with nature, are you? Of course you are. You got the big

fluffy jackets, the sturdy hiking boots, the nice light weight tent.
It looks more like you are cocooning yourselves from nature rather
then communicating intimately with it.

But I suppose that it sounds better to say "I'm communing with nature"

rather then to say, "I got caught in a torrential downpour, wet all
over, water running down the crack between my buttocks, shivering and
shaking, I need to see a doctor".

There has got to be something wrong with the way your brain works. Equipping yourself for a hike in the wilderness is one thing, Equipping yourself with a wheeled vehicle is quite another. But I guess if I were as stupid as you are, I could not see any difference either.

That is NOT the norm with young males cycling on hiking
trails. The injuries and deaths are out of all proportion to any enjoyment
derived therefrom. It is an extremely dangerous thing to be doing. But there are
plenty of older males and women and children who also suffer injuries while
engaged in this "sport" because they are entirely ignorant of how dangerous it
is.


It's not that dangerous ... 0.00123 is a lot less than driving ... and most people do that quite happily every day.


And, even if you were correct, adults are entitled to risk their own necks.


These so called adults will soon be suing the owners and managers of these public and private lands for providing an unsafe venue for recreation.

I am just waiting for the lawsuits to commence. Someone needs
to be held responsible for this carnage.


You and I live in very different worlds. In mine, an adult is entitled to make their own decisions and then has to live with the consequences. Who do you propose is sued ?


See above sentence. This thread is going to contain many reports about cyclists who have seriously injured themselves doing what you are doing – riding their bikes on trails. I wish them dead for doing what they are doing, but you are far more cruel and callous because you encourage them. I want them to stop; you want them to continue. Who is the real death merchant here?

And, were your proposal to be adopted, think of all the other, more dangerous, sports ... what would happen there ? No more American Football for a start.


The fact is that most cyclists simply have no idea of how dangerous it is to bike on trails. They buy a particular style of bike, see the trails and assume they are safe to ride. But they are NOT! This is fertile ground for lawsuits. ALL football players know full well the dangers of playing that incredibly stupid game. All the protective gear they wear tells the tale.

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great



EdwardDolan February 11th 14 02:49 AM

The Joys & Pleasures of Cycling on Trails
 
Blackblade states that hikers and bikers are doing the same thing on trails, i.e., recreating in the out of doors. Here is evidence that in fact they are NOT doing the same thing at all. Bikers are into thrills and spills, fun and games. Hikers and equestrians are communing with nature. These two very different types of activity cannot coexist on the same trails. Bikers need their own god damn ****ing trails entirely separated (preferably by hundreds of miles) from trails for civilized folks.

Here is the bad news. Read it and weep! Blackblade most particularly needs to go to ALL the links, something that I am way too smart to ever do since I KNOW what they are about ... because, unlike Blackblade, I posses some common sense.

“Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:39:49 -0800
Subject: IMBA encourages bikers and bike clubs to ask for more trails access
in State Parks; proof of speeding on trails
From: Karen Sullivan

Tom Ward, a former State Park employee has helped craft the process
for making it easier to obtain access on all State Park trails

https://www.imba.com/blog/patrick-ke...e-parks-update

If you don't already think speeding bikes in State Parks is a problem,
please look at the following links for You Tube racing in California
State Parks Annadel, China Camp and Wilder.

STRAVA is a new smart phone app that allows cyclists to track and post
their particular run and challenge others to beat their times. This
is a public website. Through STRAVA, you can see how many recorded
runs on each trail (one trail at China Camp has over 13,000 attempts),
and the maximum speed reached (30-40 MPH on some sections of trails!!!

PLEASE view the links below the contact info. and send concerns to Ken
Wiseman, Executive Director, Parks Forward Initiative, at
.,
To make a comment about CA State Parks:
http://parksforward.com/questions
and

phone numbers for district offices
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=24248

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wilder Ranch State Park
steep, drop-offs, no sightlines, blind corners,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJCMpdJibn4

Enchanted Loop Downhill narrow, drop-offs, lots of vegetation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MPT3VIIwac

Old Cabin Loop "smashing down Old Cabin Loop lots of trail damage,
gong too fast, cliffs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JCsVZlnAqw

Pogonip, Wilder VERY poor visibility and sightlines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpY74ehwuQE

STRAVA at Wilder

Enchanted Forest DH 2257 Attempts By 1009 People
http://www.strava.com/segments/693945

Maple Muffin's ride Max speed 32.9 MPH
http://www.strava.com/activities/103787883#2239007488

Zane Grey 1968 Attempts By 785 People
http://www.strava.com/segments/643126

Brock Dickies ride max speed 36.9 MPH
http://www.strava.com/activities/62194743#1170568171
---------------------------------------
China Camp State Park

"What it's like to climb a mountain and haul ass down"

This is nuts!! Extremely narrow trail with a lot of vegetation, blind
corners and very steep dropoffs!
How can State Parks consider this a multi-use trail?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s9TWFzPHCM

Does not stop for the hikers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4G6F-to0o

STRAVA at China Camp

China Camp East Descent (Full) 13512 Attempts By 2826 People
http://www.strava.com/activities/65740633#1256049743

Danimal's VP's ride max speed 41.2 MPH
http://www.strava.com/activities/65740633#1256049743

Smashing switchbacks ride 9450 Attempts By 1944 People
http://www.strava.com/segments/2141110

Aa ron's ride Max speed . 26.5 MPH
http://www.strava.com/activities/48383405#847934290

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Annadel State Park

Bikers going way too fast on multi-use trails, going off trail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRt9ey9FPdk

rider goes out of control, falls. And State Parks thinks this is a
compatable use with hikers and equestrians?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dfXHOmVtqE

STRAVA: at Annadel

Lawndale dowhhill. 5018 Attempts By 1584 People
http://www.strava.com/segments/667915

Shane Ball's ride max soeed 32.9 MPH
http://www.strava.com/activities/2540711#43098533

North Burma Top Half DH 11172 Attempts By 2177 People
http://www.strava.com/segments/798959

Nick Moreda's ride max speed 30.2 MPH
http://www.strava.com/activities/59622957#1110436329”

Mountain bikes have wheels. Wheels are for roads.

Trails are for walking. What’s the matter? Can’t walk?

Ed Dolan the Great
aka
Saint Edward the Great




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:55 PM.
Home - Home - Home - Home - Home

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CycleBanter.com