CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   "Same roads, same rules, same rights" (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=157785)

Matt O'Toole March 13th 07 01:37 AM

"Same roads, same rules, same rights"

"Same roads, same rules, same rights"...

Is this copyrighted or trademarked? If so, by whom? Or are we free to
use it anyway?

I've seen it written with "rules" and "rights" switched, but the other way
makes more sense, and is better copywriting.

Matt O.

[email protected] March 13th 07 01:46 AM

"Same roads, same rules, same rights"

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 21:37:24 -0400, Matt O'Toole
wrote:

"Same roads, same rules, same rights"...

Is this copyrighted or trademarked? If so, by whom? Or are we free to
use it anyway?

I've seen it written with "rules" and "rights" switched, but the other way
makes more sense, and is better copywriting.

Matt O.

If you are referring to the ever-present motor-car/cycle debate, "same
rights" is wrong; as cyclists (in most parts of the world) use the
road by right, whereas motorists use it by permission.

And of course, "same rules" is frequently wrong as well.

Matt O'Toole March 13th 07 05:08 AM

wrote:

"Same roads, same rules, same rights"...

Is this copyrighted or trademarked? If so, by whom? Or are we free to
use it anyway?

I've seen it written with "rules" and "rights" switched, but the other way
makes more sense, and is better copywriting.

Matt O.

If you are referring to the ever-present motor-car/cycle debate, "same
rights" is wrong; as cyclists (in most parts of the world) use the
road by right, whereas motorists use it by permission.

And of course, "same rules" is frequently wrong as well.

I'm not referring to any debate. I asked a direct question about
copyright or trademark, on either version of this phrase. Does anyone
have an answer?

Matt O.

Wayne Pein March 13th 07 01:57 PM

wrote:

"Same roads, same rules, same rights"...

Is this copyrighted or trademarked? If so, by whom? Or are we free to
use it anyway?

Georgia Bicycle Federation.

http://probicycle.com/

Wayne

Roger Zoul March 13th 07 02:06 PM

Matt O'Toole wrote:
:: "Same roads, same rules, same rights"...
::

Try he http://www.uspto.gov/main/trademarks.htm

David L. Johnson March 13th 07 03:23 PM

Wayne Pein wrote:

Georgia Bicycle Federation.

http://probicycle.com/

Interesting group. Quote:

Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every road, just
as do all other users. Nothing more is expected. Nothing less is acceptable.

--

David L. Johnson

"Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and
benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but
a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!" --Dickens,