CycleBanter.com

-   Rides (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   List Of Posters To Block On This Newsgroup? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=197947)

Papa Tom December 11th 08 02:00 AM

List Of Posters To Block On This Newsgroup?

Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of trolls that we all need to block
in order to enjoy this group again? I can't seem to keep up with them,
which I'm sure is what they want.

Kristian M Zoerhoff December 11th 08 04:01 PM

List Of Posters To Block On This Newsgroup?

On 2008-12-11, Papa Tom wrote:
Has anyone compiled a comprehensive list of trolls that we all need to block
in order to enjoy this group again? I can't seem to keep up with them,
which I'm sure is what they want.

I fond that blocking by name is only partially effective; what really works
for me is to filter out posts that are "excessively" cross-posted, where I
currently define "excessively" to mean posted to more than 2 groups. For slrn,
my Score file looks like this (edited to remove non-wreck.bike content):
[*]
Sco: =-9999
Newsgroups: ^.*,.*,.*$
Newsgroups: alt\.rec\.bicycles\.recumbent
Newsgroups: alt\.mountain
Newsgroups: rec\.autos\.driving

I risk losing the occasional good thread that just happens to be cross-posted,
but it's worth it, to me. I do have a select few names that I directly filter
on as well, but this is really the heavy-lifing part of my Score file.

I have no idea if Outlook can filter like this, however.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Papa Tom December 12th 08 05:05 PM

List Of Posters To Block On This Newsgroup?

Sorry. No idea what you're talking about. I guess you're using a reader
other than Outlook Express.

Tim McNamara December 12th 08 08:32 PM

List Of Posters To Block On This Newsgroup?

In article ,
"Papa Tom" wrote:

Sorry. No idea what you're talking about. I guess you're using a reader
other than Outlook Express.

He's using slrn, as his post stated. slrn uses a scoring method that is
more flexible and adaptive than killfiles are. Scoring systems can
reduce trolls, spammers, OT subjects, etc.

I use MT-NewsWatcher and am not directly familiar with any Microsoft
products including Outlook Express. Good newsreaders will offer article
filtering based on a number of different headers, not just the From:
header. I don't know if OE offers this capability. Good newsreaders
can also filter by thread, ignoring entire threads if you so choose.

As far as your original question, I suspect that the answer is "no."
Everyone has a different definition of who is a kook and who is not, and
it's up to you to decide. I see very few messages in this newsgroup;
most of the idiocy is spawned by the posts of one attention seeking
dweeb. Some of his respondents are worth reading, though.

This might be helpful:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...ewsgroups.mspx

Other newsreaders can be found at:

http://www.newsreaders.com