CycleBanter.com

-   -   Odd bike with reverse bottle dynamo (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=177370)

Mark T[_2_] January 21st 08 08:29 PM

Odd bike with reverse bottle dynamo

Bottle dynamos - all they do is suck power and make a funny noise. Today I
saw a reverse bottle dynamo; one that ADDS power. The working mechanism
sits stealthily over the front wheel - might be good for the peeps worried
about their TT times ;)

www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00

Zog The Undeniable January 21st 08 08:57 PM

Mark T wrote:
Bottle dynamos - all they do is suck power and make a funny noise. Today I
saw a reverse bottle dynamo; one that ADDS power. The working mechanism
sits stealthily over the front wheel - might be good for the peeps worried
about their TT times ;)

The French used roller-drive petrol engines over the front wheel for
years; maybe they still do. The obvious disadvantage was that you were
sitting in the fumes.

TerryJ January 21st 08 09:59 PM

Odd bike with reverse bottle dynamo

On 21 Jan, 20:29, Mark T
pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_ reply*.com.invalid
wrote:
Bottle dynamos - all they do is suck power and make a funny noise. Today I
saw a reverse bottle dynamo; one that ADDS power. The working mechanism
sits stealthily over the front wheel - might be good for the peeps worried
about their TT times ;)

www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00

I asked about this kind of thing recently and it was suggested that
this is not legal in UK. Where did you see it?
Terry J

vernon[_2_] January 21st 08 11:17 PM

wrote:
Bottle dynamos - all they do is suck power and make a funny noise. Today
saw a reverse bottle dynamo; one that ADDS power. The working mechanism
sits stealthily over the front wheel - might be good for the peeps
worried
about their TT times ;)

www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00

I asked about this kind of thing recently and it was suggested that
this is not legal in UK. Where did you see it?
Terry J

One of my colleagues has one and he rode it to work once. I'm not sure if
he did it legally though.....

Mark T[_2_] January 21st 08 11:39 PM

Odd bike with reverse bottle dynamo

I asked about this kind of thing recently and it was suggested that
this is not legal in UK. Where did you see it?
Terry J

Manchester, on the same road wot has those car-impaling bollards (speaking
of which, guess what I saw impaled on a bollard last week evil laugh).
If I ever see it trundling around again I'll ask the rider about it.

Rob Morley January 22nd 08 01:31 AM

Odd bike with reverse bottle dynamo

In article , Mark T
lid
says...
Bottle dynamos - all they do is suck power and make a funny noise. Today I
saw a reverse bottle dynamo; one that ADDS power. The working mechanism
sits stealthily over the front wheel - might be good for the peeps worried
about their TT times ;)

www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00

Not odd at all, just a French moped. Apparently you can still buy them:
http://www.bullnet.co.uk/shops/test/velosole.htm

Rob Morley January 22nd 08 01:52 AM

Odd bike with reverse bottle dynamo

In article eda70eef-beae-4d33-8318-c502c1c60e72
@m34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com, TerryJ
says...
wrote:
Bottle dynamos - all they do is suck power and make a funny noise. Today I
saw a reverse bottle dynamo; one that ADDS power. The working mechanism
sits stealthily over the front wheel - might be good for the peeps worried
about their TT times ;)

www.flickr.com/photos/86862441@N00

I asked about this kind of thing recently and it was suggested that
this is not legal in UK. Where did you see it?

It's perfectly legal to use in the UK if you register, tax and insure
it, have a valid license and wear a helmet. I suppose you could also
use it as a bicycle if you made the engine inoperable.

[email protected] January 22nd 08 02:10 AM

Rob Morley wrote:
It's perfectly legal to use in the UK if you register, tax and insure
it, have a valid license and wear a helmet

and it complies with Construction and Use regulations for whatever class
of motor vehicle is appropriate. I've not checked, but I would be
unsurprised if it didn't (I see no lights, indicators, etc, and would
suspect that they're required)

-dan

Rob Morley January 22nd 08 04:42 AM

Odd bike with reverse bottle dynamo

In article ,
says...
Rob Morley wrote:
It's perfectly legal to use in the UK if you register, tax and insure
it, have a valid license and wear a helmet

and it complies with Construction and Use regulations for whatever class
of motor vehicle is appropriate.

They check that when you register it.

I've not checked, but I would be
unsurprised if it didn't (I see no lights, indicators, etc, and would
suspect that they're required)

Lights aren't required if the vehicle isn't used at night, indicators
I'm not sure about - it used to be you could use a bulb horn and hand
signals on a trials bike.

James Thomson January 22nd 08 07:00 AM

"Rob Morley" a écrit:

Lights aren't required if the vehicle isn't used at night,
indicators I'm not sure about - it used to be you could
use a bulb horn and hand signals on a trials bike.

It used to be the case that indicators, if fitted, had to be functional, but
weren't compulsory. I remember my brother removing the broken indicators
from his 125cc motorbike prior to an MOT test.

Googling finds:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_150.htm

If direction indicators are fitted they must meet the requirements of this
inspection, but need not be fitted to a machine which:

- cannot exceed 30mph / 50kph, or
- was first used before 1 August 1986, or
- 'off road' machines which are designed to carry only the rider.
- 'off road' machines with side car designed to carry the rider and one
passenger in the side car.

James Thomson