CycleBanter.com

-   -   Sandwich recipe, please (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=254687)

[email protected] September 8th 17 04:31 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

Hey guys, would you do me a big favor and tell me your favorite sandwich that can be made conveniently, cut into quarters and stuffed into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

It's gotta be something tasty, or else you won't want to eat it; and made from ingredients you can buy and keep ahead of time, so you don't have to worry about going to the grocery store before you can do your ride.

Obviously not a big, thick sandwich; a skinny sandwich, so that each quarter is just a couple of mouthfuls.

I'm thinking maybe canned deviled ham and Miracle Whip. What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot!

retroguy

Ian Field September 8th 17 06:56 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

wrote in message
Hey guys, would you do me a big favor and tell me your favorite sandwich
that can be made conveniently, cut into quarters and stuffed into your
jersey pockets for longer rides?

It's gotta be something tasty, or else you won't want to eat it; and made
from ingredients you can buy and keep ahead of time, so you don't have to
worry about going to the grocery store before you can do your ride.

Obviously not a big, thick sandwich; a skinny sandwich, so that each
quarter is just a couple of mouthfuls.

I'm thinking maybe canned deviled ham and Miracle Whip. What do you
suggest?

Black pudding sandwich - its literally made of blood, plenty of iron for
oxygen transport.

Its cooked during processing, but you should cook it again - OK hot or cold.

Please yourself what you put on it - I usually use chili or brown sauce.

John B.[_3_] September 9th 17 04:47 AM

Sandwich recipe, please

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 08:31:31 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hey guys, would you do me a big favor and tell me your favorite sandwich that can be made conveniently, cut into quarters and stuffed into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

It's gotta be something tasty, or else you won't want to eat it; and made from ingredients you can buy and keep ahead of time, so you don't have to worry about going to the grocery store before you can do your ride.

Obviously not a big, thick sandwich; a skinny sandwich, so that each quarter is just a couple of mouthfuls.

I'm thinking maybe canned deviled ham and Miracle Whip. What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot!

retroguy

Ham and cheese. Thin slices.
Or even the old school lunch, peanut butter and jelly.
--
Cheers,

John B.

[email protected] September 9th 17 08:44 AM

Sandwich recipe, please

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bic...-recipes%3famp

Try rotini in raspberry yogurt

Stay away from indigestible fats n ref meat, nitrates

Hydrate try REI energy mix

Tim McNamara September 9th 17 06:50 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

wrote:

Hey guys, would you do me a big favor and tell me your favorite
sandwich that can be made conveniently, cut into quarters and stuffed
into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

It's gotta be something tasty, or else you won't want to eat it; and
made from ingredients you can buy and keep ahead of time, so you don't
have to worry about going to the grocery store before you can do your
ride.

Obviously not a big, thick sandwich; a skinny sandwich, so that each
quarter is just a couple of mouthfuls.

I'm thinking maybe canned deviled ham and Miracle Whip. What do you
suggest?

Thanks a lot!

retroguy

Ham and cheese. Thin slices. Or even the old school lunch, peanut
butter and jelly. -- Cheers,

I like dates and figs on a bike ride, a banana is of course an old
standby for this sort of thing. I like almond butter better than peanut
butter and usually use honey instead of jelly or jam as it's less messy.
I use a handlebar bag or large seatbag, usually, so regular bread is
fine. For putting in a pocket, I might use pita bread instead.

I would avoid things with mayo in them, they are going to get awfully
warm in a pocket. Food poisoning sucks.

I also really like Kind Bars and those are usually what I carry
nowadays.

Greg Lemond's book, as I recall, had some space devoted to discussing
this.

Ian Field September 9th 17 07:11 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

wrote:

Hey guys, would you do me a big favor and tell me your favorite
sandwich that can be made conveniently, cut into quarters and stuffed
into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

It's gotta be something tasty, or else you won't want to eat it; and
made from ingredients you can buy and keep ahead of time, so you don't
have to worry about going to the grocery store before you can do your
ride.

Obviously not a big, thick sandwich; a skinny sandwich, so that each
quarter is just a couple of mouthfuls.

I'm thinking maybe canned deviled ham and Miracle Whip. What do you
suggest?

Thanks a lot!

retroguy

Ham and cheese. Thin slices. Or even the old school lunch, peanut
butter and jelly. -- Cheers,

I like dates and figs on a bike ride,

Figs are allegedly laxative - dried apricots are somewhat better to the
extent of causing explosive decompression.

[email protected] September 9th 17 08:14 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...41.qoFI7SonTxM

Joy Beeson September 10th 17 03:40 AM

Sandwich recipe, please

wrote:

. . . tell me your favorite sandwich that can be made conveniently,
cut into quarters and stuffed into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

Cream cheese between two "breakfast biscuits" travels well in a snack
bag. Instead of cutting them into quarters, make four.

When I had access to a store called "Paradise Foods" I made
high-calorie muffins and kept them in the freezer; I can no longer buy
powdered kelp etc. for making mixed edible powder.
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/COOKBOO...K/COOKBOOK.TXT
-- search on "high". I don't appear to have updated the cookbook
after learning how to bake them as bars. (The secret is to use a
large pan, so that they are mostly crust.)

Nowadays I count on being able to buy food along the way, so I need
back-up snacks that can be taken on several trips before being eaten.
I usually pack a few of Aldi's "protein bars", "granola bars", etc. We
refer to all of them as "candy bars", since sugar is the predominant
ingredient, but they make excellent emergency snacks.

When I want to eat at Tippy Park, I may take bread, a can of potted
meat, and other things that keep well, and make a sandwich after I get
there.

Or I might make a sandwich of just bread and summer sausage or the
like, and carry raw vegetables to slice onto it.

Oatmeal cookies can be a good meal. Search on "oatmeal" in the same
file; make a *lot* of long rolls so that the cookies are very small,
and coat the outsides of the rolls with sesame seeds.

If you plan to stop to eat, a banana and a bag of nuts provide the
right combination of sugar and fat. Bite the end of the banana flat,
press one or more nuts onto it, repeat.

Dried fruit in a front pocket or handlebar bag is good for eating
while in the saddle. If you don't mind leaving a trail of plum pits,
fresh stanley prunes are just the right size to pop a whole one into
your mouth. Unfortunately, they are available only a couple of weeks
a year -- and about seven hundred miles from here.

Some dried fruits can be stuffed with nuts. Two almonds in a pitted
date, for example. Apricots also have a pocket.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

[email protected] September 10th 17 05:30 AM

Sandwich recipe, please

https://www.google.com/search?q=stan...YIDwwQ_AUIDCgA

I have the green jar is where the cold yogurt goes. Lifetime quality.

John B.[_3_] September 10th 17 06:04 AM

Sandwich recipe, please

wrote:

[...]

The sort of rule of thumb seems to be that it takes about 1/2 hour to
digest food and transport the resultant glucose to the muscles and a
normal Usian diet is probably well loaded with carbos so I'd guess
that the usual bicyclist starts out pretty well loaded with glucose.

My guess is that for an hour or so one doesn't need to eat at all, but
I did carry stuff, maybe a snickers bar or some oreos and in
retrospect I wonder whether it was the food intake or the stopping and
sitting down, eating and drinking a pint of water that did the job :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.[_3_] September 10th 17 06:06 AM

Sandwich recipe, please

wrote:

[...]

But under certain circumstances perhaps explosive decompression could
be considered another form of propulsion. After all for every action
there is an opposite and equal.... :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

[email protected] September 10th 17 07:24 AM

Sandwich recipe, please

John, food-bicycle isnot 'go for a ride'.

Bicycle food is self designed for maxing performance.

Cream cheese is not tube eaten let alone eaten as exercise food.

After searching cycling food try 'runners food.'

Ian Field September 10th 17 07:25 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

wrote in message

John, food-bicycle isnot 'go for a ride'.

Bicycle food is self designed for maxing performance.

Cream cheese is not tube eaten let alone eaten as exercise food.

After searching cycling food try 'runners food.'

There's also dieter's supplements, and probably various useful things in the
body builders aisle.

Joerg[_2_] September 11th 17 06:37 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

On 2017-09-08 08:31, wrote:
Hey guys, would you do me a big favor and tell me your favorite
sandwich that can be made conveniently, cut into quarters and stuffed
into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

It's gotta be something tasty, or else you won't want to eat it; and
made from ingredients you can buy and keep ahead of time, so you
don't have to worry about going to the grocery store before you can
do your ride.

Obviously not a big, thick sandwich; a skinny sandwich, so that each
quarter is just a couple of mouthfuls.

I'm thinking maybe canned deviled ham and Miracle Whip. What do you
suggest?

Thanks a lot!

My favorite for rides of less that 5h are home made grain bars that are
totally non-sweet. My wife bakes them in large sheets in the oven, then
cuts them. We only have a German recipe since this was a hint from a guy
in a German bike NG and we modified it:

http://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/14555...sliriegel.html

For longer rides I carry this bread made from trub, the residue in the
fermenters when I make beer:

https://delishably.com/baked-goods/S...sing-Beer-Trub

On it I'll have pecorino cheese, brie if it isn't too hot out there,
olive loaf, Italian salami. No butter.

Both of these recipes have found favor with other cyclists. To the point
where one of them now regularly receives a chunk of our various trub
breads. They all taste differently depending of which beer they came from.

My left panniers on both bikes are 100% dedicated to liquids and
culinary items. On really long rides I also carry my old 16oz stainless
steel office thermos and fill it with homemade IPA or similar. Park the
MTB at a whisper-quiet location with a pristine mountain view, unpack
the trub bread sandwiches, pour myself a nice cold IPA. Life is great.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Doug Landau September 11th 17 07:06 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

https://www.google.com/search?q=vege...w=1240&bih=708

Frank Krygowski[_4_] September 12th 17 03:07 AM

Sandwich recipe, please

On 9/11/2017 1:01 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 10:04:18 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

The sort of rule of thumb seems to be that it takes about 1/2 hour to
digest food and transport the resultant glucose to the muscles and a
normal Usian diet is probably well loaded with carbos so I'd guess
that the usual bicyclist starts out pretty well loaded with glucose.

McDonalds

IIRC, Lon Haldeman (famed endurance cyclist) ate a lot of McDonalds on
his epic coast-to-coast rides. Personally, I wouldn't go near that
stuff, but it seemed to work for him.

--
- Frank Krygowski

John B.[_3_] September 12th 17 08:19 AM

Sandwich recipe, please

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 22:07:07 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/11/2017 1:01 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 10:04:18 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

The sort of rule of thumb seems to be that it takes about 1/2 hour to
digest food and transport the resultant glucose to the muscles and a
normal Usian diet is probably well loaded with carbos so I'd guess
that the usual bicyclist starts out pretty well loaded with glucose.

McDonalds

IIRC, Lon Haldeman (famed endurance cyclist) ate a lot of McDonalds on
his epic coast-to-coast rides. Personally, I wouldn't go near that
stuff, but it seemed to work for him.

Years ago I read a study of McDonalds meals in an article by a
dietitian. Nothing at all wrong with it at all. Providing that you are
doing heavy physical labour all day :-)

(Hard physical labour - ~400 calories/hour. Big Mac ~540 calories.
With coke and fries ~1,100)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Doug Landau September 12th 17 05:39 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 7:07:11 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/11/2017 1:01 PM, Doug Landau wrote:
On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 10:04:18 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:

The sort of rule of thumb seems to be that it takes about 1/2 hour to
digest food and transport the resultant glucose to the muscles and a
normal Usian diet is probably well loaded with carbos so I'd guess
that the usual bicyclist starts out pretty well loaded with glucose.

McDonalds

IIRC, Lon Haldeman (famed endurance cyclist) ate a lot of McDonalds on
his epic coast-to-coast rides. Personally, I wouldn't go near that
stuff, but it seemed to work for him.

I always ride well after eating it; works fine. Unlike Sushi. No matter how much sushi I eat, the lack of energy when trying to ride after is alarming

Doug Landau September 12th 17 05:41 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

On Saturday, September 9, 2017 at 11:25:02 PM UTC-7, wrote:
John, food-bicycle isnot 'go for a ride'.

Bicycle food is self designed for maxing performance.

Cream cheese is not tube eaten let alone eaten as exercise food.

Don't tell ME which zone is for stopping and which is for loading

Doug Landau September 12th 17 06:07 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

wrote:

. . . tell me your favorite sandwich that can be made conveniently,
cut into quarters and stuffed into your jersey pockets for longer rides?

Cream cheese between two "breakfast biscuits" travels well in a snack
bag. Instead of cutting them into quarters, make four.

When I had access to a store called "Paradise Foods" I made
high-calorie muffins and kept them in the freezer; I can no longer buy
powdered kelp etc. for making mixed edible powder.

mmmmmmmmm... powdered kelp....aahhhhhhhh drool
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelp-Powder-... ac2mtslTIaUOQ

Tim McNamara September 12th 17 11:56 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

wrote:

Figs are allegedly laxative - dried apricots are somewhat better to
the extent of causing explosive decompression.

But under certain circumstances perhaps explosive decompression could
be considered another form of propulsion. After all for every action
there is an opposite and equal.... :-) -- Cheers,

I think there'd be plenty of opposing reactions to explosive
decompression on a bike ride...

Joy Beeson October 27th 17 04:02 AM

Sandwich recipe, please

On Sat, 09 Sep 2017 23:40:44 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Some dried fruits can be stuffed with nuts. Two almonds in a pitted
date, for example. Apricots also have a pocket.

I was eating a Medjool date this morning, and noticed that my small
tongs/big tweezers could pull the pit out through the hole left by
removing the stem. Medjools have a very large cavity to stuff stuff
into. And, unlike pre-pitted dates, they don't have sticky date
innards on the outside.

[email protected] October 27th 17 04:40 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

wrote:

Some dried fruits can be stuffed with nuts. Two almonds in a pitted
date, for example. Apricots also have a pocket.

I was eating a Medjool date this morning, and noticed that my small
tongs/big tweezers could pull the pit out through the hole left by
removing the stem. Medjools have a very large cavity to stuff stuff
into. And, unlike pre-pitted dates, they don't have sticky date
innards on the outside.

It isn't that I don't like dates and prunes, it's just that they're usually messy and I don't like riding around with a plastic bag hanging out of my classy jersey......

[email protected] October 28th 17 02:20 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is....0.hrc4JDbq0S0

Needs roaD testing

[email protected] October 28th 17 02:24 PM

Sandwich recipe, please

https://www.google.com/search?q=wais...obile&ie=UTF-8