CycleBanter.com

-   -   The chain slips seldom when speeding up; can this break the chain? or do I have to line up the back sprockets? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=138605)

Iván C. Filpo July 12th 06 03:56 AM

The chain slips seldom when speeding up; can this break the chain? or do I have to line up the back sprockets?

I just bought a mongoose with shimano gear; the gears are very nice
they are very accurate compared to other ones I have tested. However,
sometimes when sudden increase the speed I feel sort of like a slipage
of the chain.

I thought that the solution lied in the alignment of the sprockets, but
I am not sure since it shifts very well, it is just when I go for a
sudden increase of speed.

Is this normal? Does it mean the sprockets have to be line up?

Thanks for your answers,

Iván C. Filpo

aloha July 12th 06 07:38 AM

The chain slips seldom when speeding up; can this break the chain? or do I have to line up the back sprockets?

On 11 Jul 2006 19:56:27 -0700, "Iván C. Filpo"
wrote:

I just bought a mongoose with shimano gear; the gears are very nice
they are very accurate compared to other ones I have tested. However,
sometimes when sudden increase the speed

I feel sort of like a slipage
of the chain.

??

you mean a skip?
check your connect link, it might be stuck (bad assembly, happens all
the tine, it's called negligence)
try to loosen it

or you'll go back to your LBS and ask them to fix this
- mount a new chain and you'll check the link assembly
- and better mount a chain with a quick link (Sram Connectix KMC etc)
these chain are better also, even the 'same priced' (lighter, more
subtle than shimano)

mt

Joe LoBuglio July 12th 06 10:09 PM

Iván C. Filpo wrote:
I just bought a mongoose with shimano gear; the gears are very nice
they are very accurate compared to other ones I have tested. However,
sometimes when sudden increase the speed I feel sort of like a slipage
of the chain.

Thanks for your answers,

Iván C. Filpo

I'm not sure what you are experiencing but it could be worn sprokets,
especially if it is worn sprockets and a newer chain. Read
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html, especially about 1/2 way down
the page.

Joe

Iván C. Filpo July 15th 06 05:25 AM

The chain slips seldom when speeding up; can this break the chain? or do I have to line up the back sprockets?

Thanks for responding with such a nice website, I have just added it to
my Google Notes for further reference. However, I do not think the
problem has to do with worn sprockets because it is a brand new bike
and everything looks not worn out. I was thinking that it had to do
with the little "lining sproket" that lines the chain with the sproket
that would need realignment, but does not always happen.

dvt July 20th 06 04:44 PM

Iván C. Filpo wrote:
Thanks for responding with such a nice website, I have just added it to
my Google Notes for further reference. However, I do not think the
problem has to do with worn sprockets because it is a brand new bike
and everything looks not worn out. I was thinking that it had to do
with the little "lining sproket" that lines the chain with the sproket
that would need realignment, but does not always happen.

Since it's a Mongoose, I'm going to guess that you bought it at a
department store. So you're probably not going to get help from the
retailer after the sale; in other words, you're on your own.

I suspect derailer maladjustment based on your limited description of
the problem. Someone has pointed you to Sheldon Brown's page. Go there
and find his article on derailer adjustment. And good luck. I hope the
shortcomings of a department store bike doesn't sour your cycling
experience.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Everyone confesses that exertion which brings out all the powers of body
and mind is the best thing for us; but most people do all they can to
get rid of it, and as a general rule nobody does much more than
circumstances drive them to do. -Harriet Beecher Stowe, abolitionist and
novelist (1811-1896)