CycleBanter.com

-   General (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ALERT -- SAVE THE CALTRAIN BIKE STATION FROM TERMINATION: (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=85112)

Cycle America March 18th 05 10:05 PM

ALERT -- SAVE THE CALTRAIN BIKE STATION FROM TERMINATION:

From the Silicon Valley Bike Coalition:

ALERT -- SAVE THE CALTRAIN BIKE STATION FROM TERMINATION:

We need SFBC members' help immediately. For more than four years the
SFBC, the City of San Francisco, and Caltrain have been planning and
finding funding for a much-needed bike parking station at the 4th &
King Caltrain station. Now, with $800,000 in federal and regional
funding to build the bike station, Caltrain is seriously threatening
pulling the plug on the project. Why? Because they don't want to deal
with it. It's that simple. We have about a week to save this project.
We need your help.

FOUR THINGS YOU CAN DO:
Call Mayor Newsom's office at 415-554-6141 or via email at

+ Ask the Mayor to stop Caltrain from terminating plans for the
bicycle parking station at Caltrain's 4th & King station. Express
your support for more bike parking at Caltrain because the trains are
already turning bicycling passengers away due to crowding. This is
not the right message for S.F. to be sending just months before Bike
to Work Day and World Environment Day!

+ Call Caltrain at 650-508-7925 or at
http://www.caltrain.com. Leave a
message specifically for the members of the Joint Powers Board of
Caltrain, urging them to continue support for the bicycle parking
station at Caltrain's 4th & King station. Ditto the comments above.

+ Call Michael Burns, MTA Director & member of the Caltrain Board, at
800-660-4287 or urging Caltrain to support
the bike station and asking the MTA to step in as the city's
multimodal (that includes bikes!) transportation agency to help save
the Caltrain bike station.

+ Attend the community meeting on Caltrain service on March 23 at 6
p.m. at S.F. City Hall, room 408, to express your support for a
bicycle parking station.

(If you are a Caltrain rider or just want to be kept up-to-date with
this effort to save the bike station, please email

with "Caltrain interest" in the Subject line. We'll add you to our
list of members interested in Caltrain issues.)

--
54% of New York City households do not own cars

M A R T I N K R I E G : "Awake Again" Author
http://www.bikeroute.com/AwakeAgain
Bent Since '83, Car Free Since '89, '79 & '86 TransAms********
Coma, Paralysis, Clinical Death Survivor*
Can You Change it with Love?*
N A T I O N A L B I C Y C L E G R E E N W A Y