CycleBanter.com

-   Rides (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Metric? Or, standard? (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=195483)

[email protected][_2_] October 8th 08 10:56 PM

Metric? Or, standard?

Hello,

When you cyclists go for rides, what unit of measurement do you use?
Kilometers or miles?

Personally, for me, kilometers are much easier to comprehend because
the units are always divisible by ten. For example, when you've biked
a Kilometer, you know that you've gone 1000 meters.

Go metric,
Cullen
Appleton, WI

[email protected] October 8th 08 11:30 PM

Metric? Or, standard?

Cullen Carter wrote:

When you go for rides, what unit of measurement do you use?
Kilometers or miles?

For me, kilometers are much easier to comprehend because the units
are always divisible by ten. For example, when you've biked a
Kilometer, you know that you've gone 1000 meters.

With road signs and other markers, using the same units is convenient,
so I use miles in regions where they are commonly used and kilometers
where they are the local units.

I let the cyclometer do the required arithmetic for averages and
totals. I'm not interested in keeping a log nook of my
"accomplishments" but rather write a report of what I saw and
experienced.

Typical:

http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/...r_of_the_Alps/

http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreat...erraSpring.htm

Jobst Brandt

Ron Wallenfang October 9th 08 03:20 AM

Metric? Or, standard?

*http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/.../Tour_of_the_A....

*http://www.bicyclinglife.com/Recreat...erraSpring.htm

Jobst Brandt

Jobst, I think your accomplishments do shine through your reports, not
least your observational accomplishments; I never seem to see the
amount of flora and fauna you report!

On the topic, I always set my odometer and record in miles, but have
no better reason to offer than force of habit.

Chuck Anderson October 9th 08 04:53 AM

Metric? Or, standard?

wrote:
Hello,

When you cyclists go for rides, what unit of measurement do you use?
Kilometers or miles?

"When in Rome ..... "

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

bluezfolk October 13th 08 12:50 AM

Metric? Or, standard?

On Oct 8, 4:56*pm, " wrote:
Hello,

When you cyclists go for rides, what unit of measurement do you use?
Kilometers or miles?

Personally, for me, kilometers are much easier to comprehend because
the units are always divisible by ten. For example, when you've biked
a Kilometer, you know that you've gone 1000 meters.

Go metric,
Cullen
Appleton, WI

Despite my thinking that the metric system is so much more logical and
easier to convert distances, I for some reason always use miles.

Eric

Alex Colvin October 13th 08 02:20 AM

Metric? Or, standard?

When you cyclists go for rides, what unit of measurement do you use?
Kilometers or miles?

Calories!
--
mac the naïf

Guy Anderson, Sr. October 13th 08 08:44 AM

Metric? Or, standard?

On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 16:50:36 -0700 (PDT), bluezfolk
wrote:

On Oct 8, 4:56*pm, " wrote:
Hello,

When you cyclists go for rides, what unit of measurement do you use?
Kilometers or miles?

When in Rome.......etc.

[email protected] October 13th 08 10:39 AM

Metric? Or, standard?

On Oct 8, 5:56*pm, " wrote:
Hello,

When you cyclists go for rides, what unit of measurement do you use?
Kilometers or miles?

Personally, for me, kilometers are much easier to comprehend because
the units are always divisible by ten. For example, when you've biked
a Kilometer, you know that you've gone 1000 meters.

Go metric,
Cullen
Appleton, WI

Local measurements, to use local signs.
Then log on http://www.bikejournal.com/ and http://www.plus3network.com/

Paul O October 14th 08 09:52 PM

Metric? Or, standard?

wrote, On 10/8/2008 5:56 PM:
Hello,

When you cyclists go for rides, what unit of measurement do you use?
Kilometers or miles?

Personally, for me, kilometers are much easier to comprehend because
the units are always divisible by ten. For example, when you've biked
a Kilometer, you know that you've gone 1000 meters.

Go metric,
Cullen
Appleton, WI

Fathoms when I'm descending and millibars when I'm ascending...

--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)