CycleBanter.com

-   Rides (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Trip Report - Milwaukee to St. John's Newfoundland, Aug. 14-31,2008 (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=197505)

Tom Sherman[_3_] November 29th 08 03:57 AM

Trip Report - Milwaukee to St. John's Newfoundland, Aug. 14-31,2008

Ron Wallenfang wrote:
Note: If anyone has advice how I can post this so the pictures also
come through, I would welcome tht advice.

You could post your trip reports and photos he
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/. Or you could post links to pictures
in a free online photo album such as Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/.

[...]
I finally reached the Quebec provincial line at 5:40, with 138 miles
for the day. The road and business signs, ads, and anything else in
writing abruptly switched from English to French. Evidently the
people who live near the border are jealous of each “side’s” language.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_sovereignty_movement. Quebec
is one place where USians are liked more than English Canadians.

[...]
Noticing a slight wobble in the back tire that caused the brake to rub
a bit, I investigated and discovered that three spokes had cracked the
rim at the spoke holes Big problem!! . This is apparently the same
problem I had in Grand Forks, North Dakota on my 1996 trip from
Portland OR to Milwaukee. I am working on a solution, and called the
two Charlottetown bike shops I found in the yellow pages. The second
one I called – MacQueen’s – will see me in the morning.[...]

The solution is using better quality (not necessarily MORE expensive)
rims that can accept decent spoke tension without the spoke bed
prematurely cracking from fatigue.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.