CycleBanter.com

-   -   NY bike path mayhem (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=254997)

AMuzi October 31st 17 08:13 PM

NY bike path mayhem

Conflicting radio reports. Apparently crash involved some
bicycles, a school bus, a delivery truck, a firearm and
fatal police shot(s).

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3602094

http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/several...own-manhattan/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/10/...nt-in-tribeca/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

AMuzi October 31st 17 08:24 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On 10/31/2017 3:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Conflicting radio reports. Apparently crash involved some
bicycles, a school bus, a delivery truck, a firearm and
fatal police shot(s).

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3602094

http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/several...own-manhattan/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/10/...nt-in-tribeca/

update: 5 dead, 16 injured, at least six bicycles mangled
and smashed.

AMuzi October 31st 17 08:31 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On 10/31/2017 3:24 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/31/2017 3:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Conflicting radio reports. Apparently crash involved some
bicycles, a school bus, a delivery truck, a firearm and
fatal police shot(s).

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3602094

http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/several...own-manhattan/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/10/...nt-in-tribeca/

update: 5 dead, 16 injured, at least six bicycles mangled
and smashed.

update: terrorist attack, FBI on scene

[email protected] November 1st 17 01:47 AM

NY bike path mayhem

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/n...manhattan.html

Andre Jute[_2_] November 1st 17 02:31 AM

NY bike path mayhem

The killer's name is Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov. He deliberately targeted cyclists on a cycle path. Bystanders reported hearing him shout "Allahu Akbar". Clear sequence reported he

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...dent-manhattan

AJ

John B.[_3_] November 1st 17 03:11 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 15:13:00 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Conflicting radio reports. Apparently crash involved some
bicycles, a school bus, a delivery truck, a firearm and
fatal police shot(s).

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3602094

http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/several...own-manhattan/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/10/...nt-in-tribeca/

Even Muslims hate bicycles:
https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/wor...ttack-by-truck

--
Cheers,

John B.

John B.[_3_] November 1st 17 03:18 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 15:31:54 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 10/31/2017 3:24 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/31/2017 3:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Conflicting radio reports. Apparently crash involved some
bicycles, a school bus, a delivery truck, a firearm and
fatal police shot(s).

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3602094

http://nypost.com/2017/10/31/several...own-manhattan/

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/10/...nt-in-tribeca/

update: 5 dead, 16 injured, at least six bicycles mangled
and smashed.

update: terrorist attack, FBI on scene

It turned out that my post highlighted the same incident as yours,
above, Apparently when the bearded driver got out of the truck he said
"Allahu akbar".

The Bangkok Post has it that "The attacker was taken into custody
after he was shot in the stomach by a New York City policeman, and
neutralised".

--
Cheers,

John B.

Joy Beeson November 1st 17 04:30 AM

NY bike path mayhem

Oddly, I first read about this incident in the London Telegraph --
rather high on the page.

Exactly what the murderer thought he was doing isn't particularly
important.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Tim McNamara November 1st 17 04:46 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 10:11:44 +0700, John B wrote:

Even Muslims hate bicycles:

Everybody hates bicycles, it is one of the few things that unites the
world. Oh, sure, people *say* they like bikes... until said bike is
being ridden on a road and holds them up for 3.1 seconds.

Making light of a tragedy I should not be taken as. That's not the
intent. It was a horrific incident. At this point we don't really know
if he is a terrorist or a nut, but that doesn't make the slightest
different to the victims and their families. Deep condolences to the
loved ones of the victims and best wishes for the best possible recovery
for the injured.

There are too many ways in the world to get hurt or killed without
people doing it deliberately.

Duane[_2_] November 1st 17 01:31 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On 01/11/2017 12:30 AM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Oddly, I first read about this incident in the London Telegraph --
rather high on the page.

Exactly what the murderer thought he was doing isn't particularly
important.

On one hand I agree, it's not particularly important what he thought he
was doing. But on the other hand, this attack isn't exactly an isolated
incident.

[email protected] November 1st 17 02:05 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 9:46:08 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 10:11:44 +0700, John B wrote:

Even Muslims hate bicycles:

Everybody hates bicycles, it is one of the few things that unites the
world. Oh, sure, people *say* they like bikes... until said bike is
being ridden on a road and holds them up for 3.1 seconds.

Making light of a tragedy I should not be taken as. That's not the
intent. It was a horrific incident. At this point we don't really know
if he is a terrorist or a nut, but that doesn't make the slightest
different to the victims and their families. Deep condolences to the
loved ones of the victims and best wishes for the best possible recovery
for the injured.

There are too many ways in the world to get hurt or killed without
people doing it deliberately.

Tim, the group here doesn't understand sarcasm. I've had to talk to you about that before.

[email protected] November 1st 17 07:14 PM

NY bike path mayhem

LINKS ARE FROM an email account so pasting into browser maybe necessary

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...I4MDA3NjgwOAS2

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...I4MDA3NjgwOAS2

https://www.newyorker.com/cartoons/d...I4MDA3NjgwOAS2

[email protected] November 1st 17 07:33 PM

NY bike path mayhem

Reading al-Qtub (much like George Lincoln Rockwell or Mao or
Karl Marx) makes one apprehensive of the readers who believe this crap. Scary stuff only in that not everyone laughs out
loud while reading it.

)))))))))))))))

this is my mommy this is my kitty cat this is godhead that is a Jew Allah is...

man writes like a 3rd grade imbecile cooking a goat at the tail rear of a jet transport

https://theauthenticbase.wordpress.c...m-sayyid-qutb/

(PeteCresswell) November 1st 17 09:35 PM

NY bike path mayhem

Per John B.:
The Bangkok Post has it that "The attacker was taken into custody
after he was shot in the stomach by a New York City policeman, and
neutralised".

It's encouraging that the NY cops, at least, have caught on the idea of
taking these guys alive so they can be "Debriefed" instead of blowing
them to smithereens on the spot.

I guess it's all money in the pocket for the media people, but if I had
my druthers, the story would be "Another nutcase kills a bunch of
people" and leave it at that until some group/plot emerges.
--
Pete Cresswell

Andre Jute[_2_] November 1st 17 10:53 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 9:35:52 PM UTC, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

my druthers, the story would be "Another nutcase kills a bunch of
people" and leave it at that until some group/plot emerges.

Nonsense. The killer's name is Sayfullo Habibullaevic Saipov, which makes him at least a second-generation Muslim. He shouted "Allahu Akbar" as he committed his crimes, which makes him a jihadist. If that isn't enough evidence to call him a Muslim and take a 95% guess at the influences on him, what will be enough for the limp apologists of Islamic jihad? -- AJ

Tim McNamara November 2nd 17 12:17 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 09:31:21 -0400, Duane
wrote:
On 01/11/2017 12:30 AM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Oddly, I first read about this incident in the London Telegraph --
rather high on the page.

Exactly what the murderer thought he was doing isn't particularly
important.

On one hand I agree, it's not particularly important what he thought
he was doing. But on the other hand, this attack isn't exactly an
isolated incident.

On the world stage, perhaps not as there have been similar high profile
mass murders using motor vehicles. It's isolated in the US in terms of
its use as a terrorist tool. But there have been several incidents of
road-ragers and drunk drivers plowing into packs of bicyclists in the
past decade. Not to mention the more sporadic drunk/angry/distracted
driver striking cyclists for the past 100 years.

At this point it is still not clear to me whether this is a terrorist or
a person who is mentally ill. He seems to have been inspired by ISIS'
instructions for how to kill a lot of people using a motor vehicle,
pretty much to the letter (if you don't already know, ISIS published an
online how-to manual with pretty much a checklist)- except that his
backup weapons were a BB gun and a paintball gun. Well, perhaps the
third possible category is "idiot terrorist." I would not be surprised
if the driver turned out to be mentally ill prior to the incident.

But again none of that actually matters to the victims and their loved
ones.

Tim McNamara November 2nd 17 01:07 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On Wed, 01 Nov 2017 17:35:44 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per John B.:
The Bangkok Post has it that "The attacker was taken into custody
after he was shot in the stomach by a New York City policeman, and
neutralised".

It's encouraging that the NY cops, at least, have caught on the idea
of taking these guys alive so they can be "Debriefed" instead of
blowing them to smithereens on the spot.

I guess it's all money in the pocket for the media people, but if I
had my druthers, the story would be "Another nutcase kills a bunch of
people" and leave it at that until some group/plot emerges.

Well, we don't know yet if he is a nutcase or what. No doubt more
information will appear; who knows if he will provide anything useful
himself. He did at least leave some written notes in the truck (or at
least someone did, he seems like the most likely candidate) indicating
at least inspiration by ISIS.

Perhaps we could at least get the president to stop adding so much fuel
to the fire. Yeah, right, like that's gonna happen. He has to keep the
fires built high to distract from other things (like fleecing the middle
class to pay for the rich folks' tax cuts).

[email protected] November 2nd 17 05:17 AM

NY bike path mayhem

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/n...ck-attack.html

[email protected] November 2nd 17 05:48 AM

NY bike path mayhem

the stan is not a 'nut'

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/n...ck-attack.html

Where Mr. Saipov exited the bike path at Chambers Street is another notoriously risky intersection. In June 2016, a cyclist, Olga Cook, was killed there when an allegedly intoxicated driver made a right turn from the West Side Highway, crossing the greenway. At least 17 other cyclists or pedestrians had been injured there in the preceding five years.
Daniel Flanzig, a personal injury lawyer who has handled multiple cases on behalf of bicyclists killed or injured on the bike path, including Ms. Cook’s case, said there was a clear need to make the path safer.
“Everyone’s first reaction yesterday was to have bollards put onto the bike path,” he said. “It makes sense.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/n...pgtype=article

Duane[_4_] November 2nd 17 10:13 AM

NY bike path mayhem

wrote:
[...]

To me the line between terrorist and mentally ill isn’t very clear.
Religious fundamentalism and insane seem to go hand in hand. Something
about murdering unarmed innocents in order to get into heaven with the
virgins...

--
duane

Sepp Ruf November 2nd 17 12:11 PM

NY bike path mayhem

wrote:

the stan is not a 'nut'

And it's still there ... nuts!
https://uz.usembassy.gov/2019-diversity-immigrant-visa-program/
Hurry up, politically oppressed goatherds looking to become disgruntled Uber
drivers, the US needs you!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/n...ck-attack.html

Where Mr. Saipov exited the bike path at Chambers Street is another notoriously risky intersection. In June 2016, a cyclist, Olga Cook, was killed there when an allegedly intoxicated driver made a right turn from the West Side Highway, crossing the greenway. At least 17 other cyclists or pedestrians had been injured there in the preceding five years.
Daniel Flanzig, a personal injury lawyer who has handled multiple cases on behalf of bicyclists killed or injured on the bike path, including Ms. Cook’s case, said there was a clear need to make the path safer.

NYT whataboutism.

“Everyone’s first reaction yesterday was to have bollards put onto the bike path,”

Idiots everyone, you're just a few months late:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:London_Bridge_security_barriers.jpg
Big and beautiful, aren't they?

he said. “It makes sense.”

For a personal injury lawyer, sure!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/n...bike-path.html

AMuzi November 2nd 17 01:55 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On 11/2/2017 12:48 AM, wrote:

the stan is not a 'nut'

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/n...ck-attack.html

Where Mr. Saipov exited the bike path at Chambers Street is another notoriously risky intersection. In June 2016, a cyclist, Olga Cook, was killed there when an allegedly intoxicated driver made a right turn from the West Side Highway, crossing the greenway. At least 17 other cyclists or pedestrians had been injured there in the preceding five years.
Daniel Flanzig, a personal injury lawyer who has handled multiple cases on behalf of bicyclists killed or injured on the bike path, including Ms. Cook’s case, said there was a clear need to make the path safer.
“Everyone’s first reaction yesterday was to have bollards put onto the bike path,” he said. “It makes sense.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/n...pgtype=article

So your position is, "We don't need no steenkin' jihadis.
We've got killer kiddie paths already!"

The bollards bit is a hoot! Imagine your average scrum of
bicyclists threading through those.

Frank Krygowski[_4_] November 2nd 17 04:08 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On 11/2/2017 1:48 AM, wrote:

the stan is not a 'nut'

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/n...ck-attack.html

Where Mr. Saipov exited the bike path at Chambers Street is another notoriously risky intersection. In June 2016, a cyclist, Olga Cook, was killed there when an allegedly intoxicated driver made a right turn from the West Side Highway, crossing the greenway. At least 17 other cyclists or pedestrians had been injured there in the preceding five years.
Daniel Flanzig, a personal injury lawyer who has handled multiple cases on behalf of bicyclists killed or injured on the bike path, including Ms. Cook’s case, said there was a clear need to make the path safer.
“Everyone’s first reaction yesterday was to have bollards put onto the bike path,” he said. “It makes sense.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/n...pgtype=article

*#@%! Locally, we've got an incompetently designed two-way bike lane in
a park. It forces cyclists to thread through bollards at every place a
motorist might choose to pull over and park. We've been telling the park
for years that those things are collision hazards and actual fatality
hazards, because cyclists have been killed running into bollards.

--
- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] November 2nd 17 04:33 PM

NY bike path mayhem

I remember Mr.NG. I lived across the river In Brokersville. I shake my head in sadness these bright vibrant people are cut down.

what do we have here ?

a short path with 3 deaths from vehicle intrusion

an advocacy group

words from the city

and a failed watch on the jihadist from Law Enforcement

we have outside this unreal action group personal decisions to ride in a dangerous area. I wonder if the path is a necessary unavoidable connector. Probably. Safety in numbers, everyone rides here. So noticed.

goo.gl/ZtYvRp F1 ! is there a list ?

I did the Boston Marathon so prediction/analysis there was a piece of cake. Interfered with by you know... almost everyone, I'm popular out here where the interferes are denying rain.

my last unavoidable connector was 50' feet up above the creek 2' wide n ,25 long. That was the day I grabbed brakes (first long frame ride) raising front wheel over the speed bump at speed in 'going home' down the twisty.

My camel need water. I go.

Of water, I bumped into a stack of Dasani flavored water unseen by the local drunks buying a pack of Lime.

AAA. Have a COOL shot 5AM J.

A significant upgrade in beverages.

[email protected] November 2nd 17 04:53 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 9:33:54 AM UTC-7, wrote:

[...]

slim pickens for the pop density...the map is dragable

goo.gl/JcrqDo

goo.gl/HJXf4u

overwhelming

Tim McNamara November 3rd 17 03:41 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 10:13:53 -0000 (UTC), Duane wrote:

To me the line between terrorist and mentally ill isn’t very clear.
Religious fundamentalism and insane seem to go hand in hand.

That's an interesting discussion about which I don't feel qualified to
offer an intelligent analysis despite years of practice as a
psychologist. I have not read any of the research on the thought
patterns of religious terrorists nor into the differentiation between
religious delusion and excessive religious devotion. I end up with
questions rather than answers when thinking about this. With the
readers indulgence:

On the face of it, it is tempting to say that one has to be nuts to try
to slaughter large numbers of people (especially in a suicide mission)
in the name of one's god or country or family or some other group. But
can one be rational and do so? That's possible, I suppose, but I don't
know with any certainty. What about, for example, an Anders Breivik or
a Timothy McVeigh? Both were far more efficient killers than the vast
majority of terrorists. They were calculating, analytical and
methodical beyond what is typical of people with major mental illnesses.
Boh were radicalized by right-wing sources (as are, indeed, Islamist,
Christianist and Zionist terrorists in general). Yet on another hand
there was Adam Lanza, whose motivations seemed not rooted in terrorism
but in his own mental illness and yet he too was organized, detailed,
ruthless and efficient.

It is facile and unhelpful to dismiss terrorists as "crazy" or
"animals," because that suggests they are non-understandable; and if
they cannot be understood, we cannot know how to prevent them in the
first place. If we can understand how terrorists come to be, then
perhaps they can be defused in advance (and it is quite likely that this
is much better understood than I am aware of).

If being a terrorist is prima facie evidence of mental illness, then I
think it would be cruel to- as President Trump has openly supported-
torture and indecently punish them. Those actions come at a severe cost
for the "soul of civil society," as one might call it. Trump, of
course, betrays little evidence of being a member of civil society
himself so this likely does not trouble him.

There is a different question of what to do with a mass murderer who is
rational) or perhaps "rational enough"). I do not support the death
penalty- oddly, perhaps, on conservative rather than liberal grounds-
but these people are very, very dangerous and in at least some cases
(perhaps most or even all) it is not safe to turn them loose to likely
do it again. Indeed, turning them loose would just be stupid in those
cases. Just as we do not "turn loose" those adjudicated as mentally ill
and dangerous- they are under lifelong supervision and court-ordered
psychiatric treatment.

Enough rambling with no conclusions!

Tim McNamara November 3rd 17 03:50 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On Wed, 1 Nov 2017 22:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

BUT Jesus siad,"let he who is without sin cast the first stone".

The New Testament supercedes the Old Testament. Jesus said, "I have
come to abolish the Law but to FULFIL it."

In my experience, Christian conservatives tend to have a strong affinity
for the Old Testament, Revelations and for various epistles- but not so
much for those inconvenent Gospels. I am sure there are many for whom
that is not true, of course, as my experience is far from universal. It
was at least the case in my family most of the conservatives emphasized
the Old Testament and most of the liberals Emphasized the Gospels.
Athough there were few liberals in my family...

Frank Krygowski[_4_] November 3rd 17 05:00 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On 11/2/2017 11:41 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

There is a different question of what to do with a mass murderer who is
rational) or perhaps "rational enough"). I do not support the death
penalty- oddly, perhaps, on conservative rather than liberal grounds-
but these people are very, very dangerous and in at least some cases
(perhaps most or even all) it is not safe to turn them loose to likely
do it again. Indeed, turning them loose would just be stupid in those
cases. Just as we do not "turn loose" those adjudicated as mentally ill
and dangerous- they are under lifelong supervision and court-ordered
psychiatric treatment.

I think part of the motivation for killing a heinous criminal is the
certainty that he will never commit such a crime again. For example,
I've seen pro death penalty arguments describing how someone who served
time and earned parole killed again on release. And others fear
successful appeals, where a murderer (or worse) goes free on some legal
technicality.

So I wonder about a sort of "legal death" that involves life sentence
with no, absolutely no, right of appeal. It would have to be reserved
for cases so perfectly certain that the death penalty would be justified.

On the other hand: I note that most other prosperous, civilized
countries seem to function quite well without the death penalty, or
(AFAIK) the sort of "legal death" that I'm describing. Their murder
rates and violence rates are certainly far better than ours.

--
- Frank Krygowski

AMuzi November 3rd 17 02:36 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On 11/3/2017 12:00 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

So you'll offer to host Brevik once he's out? Up for parole
in about 4 years...

Frank Krygowski[_4_] November 3rd 17 04:04 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On 11/3/2017 10:36 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Are you talking about the Norwegian murderer? Let's see whether the
parole actually happens first.

--
- Frank Krygowski

(PeteCresswell) November 3rd 17 10:11 PM

NY bike path mayhem

Per Tim McNamara:
Well, we don't know yet if he is a nutcase or what. No doubt more
information will appear; who knows if he will provide anything useful
himself. He did at least leave some written notes in the truck (or at
least someone did, he seems like the most likely candidate) indicating
at least inspiration by ISIS.

Apparently ISIS publishes playbooks on how to do this stuff.

The accounts I have heard say that his actions were right out of the
ISIS playbook - including the leaflets and trying to get himself killed.

The knives he had for the purpose of killing pedestrians after the crash
and getting himself killed because unavailable due to the crash so he
grabbed the paint ball gun and something else.

--
Pete Cresswell

(PeteCresswell) November 3rd 17 10:13 PM

NY bike path mayhem

Per Duane:
Something
about murdering unarmed innocents in order to get into heaven with the
virgins...

After getting nailed by the U.S. Seal team, Osama makes his way to the
pearly gates.

There, he is greeted by George Washington.

"How dare you attack the nation I helped conceive!" yells Mr.
Washington, slapping Osama in the face.

Patrick Henry comes up from behind.

"You wanted to end the Americans' liberty, so they gave you death!"
Henry punches Osama on the nose.

James Madison comes up next, and says "This is why I allowed the Federal
government to provide for the common defense!" He drops a large weight
on Osama's knee.

Osama is subject to similar beatings from John Randolph of Roanoke,
James Monroe, and 65 other people who have the same love for liberty and
America.

As he writhes on the ground, Thomas Jefferson picks him up to hurl him
back toward the gate where he is to be judged.

As Osama awaits his journey to his final very hot destination, he
screams "This is not what I was promised!"

An angel replies "I told you there would be 72 Virginians waiting for
you. What did you think I said?"
Pete Cresswell

Tim McNamara November 3rd 17 10:47 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 18:11:53 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Tim McNamara:
Well, we don't know yet if he is a nutcase or what. No doubt more
information will appear; who knows if he will provide anything useful
himself. He did at least leave some written notes in the truck (or at
least someone did, he seems like the most likely candidate) indicating
at least inspiration by ISIS.

Apparently ISIS publishes playbooks on how to do this stuff.

The accounts I have heard say that his actions were right out of the
ISIS playbook - including the leaflets and trying to get himself
killed.

Yes, that is my understanding. Not having frequented pro-ISIS websites
I have not seen this for myself, but on NPR yesterday or the day before
this was spoken of with direct quotes out of the ISIS "manual" for such
attacks. It's not a long or complicated recipe, renting a large vehicle
and running people down with it doesn't take a rocket scientist.

The knives he had for the purpose of killing pedestrians after the
crash and getting himself killed because unavailable due to the crash
so he grabbed the paint ball gun and something else.

BB gun according to what I have seen in the news.

Fortunately a NYPD cop figured out how to shot to wound, so he was
stopped and is questionable (and triable).

My understanding from the news is that he requested an ISIS flag for his
room. The request was not accommodated.

Andre Jute[_2_] November 3rd 17 11:33 PM

NY bike path mayhem

On Friday, November 3, 2017 at 10:13:43 PM UTC, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

It couldn't happen to a more deserving jihadi!

AJ

AMuzi November 4th 17 12:05 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On 11/3/2017 5:47 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
[...]

"figured out how to shoot to wound"

NYPD officer had a pistol, adrenaline and the usual
confusion of the moment. He's trained to hit center of mass,
which he did. The fact that it was not a mortal wound is
accidental. And incidental, actually, as he did stop the
threat to human life which is the standard here.

JBeattie November 4th 17 12:57 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On Wednesday, November 1, 2017 at 6:07:48 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
[...]

I think it's fair to conclude that he was ****ed off because he is short and looks like a dope. https://www.yahoo.com/news/sister-yo...162102000.html

The trick is to look like Omar Sharif and get the virgins on earth, but when you look like that dude, you have to rent a truck from Home Depot and go with plan B -- the post-death virgins.

I'm all for giving him a lengthy prison sentence at Sing Sing where he can be the virgin, if only briefly.

-- Jay Beattie.

John B.[_3_] November 4th 17 01:11 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On Fri, 03 Nov 2017 17:47:09 -0500, Tim McNamara
wrote:

[...]

I rather doubt that in any situation deemed to be sufficiently
dangerious to justify shooting anyone ever "shot to wound".

(PeteCresswell) November 4th 17 09:48 PM

NY bike path mayhem

Per AMuzi:
The fact that it was not a mortal wound is
accidental. And incidental, actually, as he did stop the
threat to human life which is the standard here.

If that is the case, it's disappointing.

OTOH, at least he didn't empty his magazine into the guy.

Ever since the Boston Marathon debacle, I've had a weed up my butt about
cops blowing guys like that away before they can be properly
"Debriefed".
--
Pete Cresswell

Radey Shouman November 4th 17 10:07 PM

NY bike path mayhem

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per AMuzi:
The fact that it was not a mortal wound is
accidental. And incidental, actually, as he did stop the
threat to human life which is the standard here.

If that is the case, it's disappointing.

OTOH, at least he didn't empty his magazine into the guy.

Ever since the Boston Marathon debacle, I've had a weed up my butt about
cops blowing guys like that away before they can be properly
"Debriefed".

The Tsarnaev shooting did seem unnecessary, almost like compensating for
finding him outside the police perimeter. The one that should really
make you go "hmmm" was Todashev -- WTF was that?

At least they didn't shoot up any newspaper delivery trucks like the
California police did in the Dorner manhunt.

Tim McNamara November 5th 17 05:38 AM

NY bike path mayhem

On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 17:48:48 -0400, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per AMuzi:
The fact that it was not a mortal wound is accidental. And
incidental, actually, as he did stop the threat to human life which is
the standard here.

If that is the case, it's disappointing.

OTOH, at least he didn't empty his magazine into the guy.

Ever since the Boston Marathon debacle, I've had a weed up my butt
about cops blowing guys like that away before they can be properly
"Debriefed".

Just killin' da perps is more satisfying to many folks. And if a few
people get taken out by cops despite not being a threat, in some cases
not even actually a criminal, well that's a small price to pay (except,
of course, for the dead person...).

The love of frontier justice is alive and well in the US. Old Donald
seems to be particularly rabid to bag his first capital punishment,
being as that would be the ultimate proof of his power.