CycleBanter.com

-   -   Ti frames: Preventing components seizing (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=121292)

Luke January 11th 06 03:22 AM

Ti frames: Preventing components seizing

As a preventative against it seizing in a Ti frame, is it recommended
that a component - for instance, a Shimano Cartridge BB installed with
a judicious application of anti-seize grease - be removed, re-greased,
and installed again at set intervals? Or can the anti-seize lube be
considered effective for the life of the component - say, two or three
years?

Do different components or their materials (i.e., steel headset cup,
aluminum seatpost) warrant different considerations vis preventing
their seizing in a Ti frame?

Thanks
Luke

Mark Hickey January 11th 06 01:12 PM

Luke wrote:

As a preventative against it seizing in a Ti frame, is it recommended
that a component - for instance, a Shimano Cartridge BB installed with
a judicious application of anti-seize grease - be removed, re-greased,
and installed again at set intervals? Or can the anti-seize lube be
considered effective for the life of the component - say, two or three
years?

Do different components or their materials (i.e., steel headset cup,
aluminum seatpost) warrant different considerations vis preventing
their seizing in a Ti frame?

While there's certainly nothing wrong with using anti-seize on a ti
frame, in my experience it's not necessary for most applications.

Where there is a threaded ti fastener inserted into ti threads, I'd
sincerely recommend anti-seize (I've seen puffs of smoke exit stuck
bolts when they finally do break free). But for seat posts and BBs, I
think plain ol' grease will do fine (though I also recommend a few
layers of teflon plumber's tape on the BB installation for long-term
quietude).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Qui si parla Campagnolo January 11th 06 02:12 PM

Luke wrote:
As a preventative against it seizing in a Ti frame, is it recommended
that a component - for instance, a Shimano Cartridge BB installed with
a judicious application of anti-seize grease - be removed, re-greased,
and installed again at set intervals? Or can the anti-seize lube be
considered effective for the life of the component - say, two or three
years?

Antisieze is really tenacious and doesn't wash away easily but if you
submerge your BB regularly, take it out once in a while. Also
antisieze inside the BB cup(s).

Matt O'Toole January 11th 06 05:11 PM

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 06:12:22 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:

Where there is a threaded ti fastener inserted into ti threads, I'd
sincerely recommend anti-seize (I've seen puffs of smoke exit stuck
bolts when they finally do break free). But for seat posts and BBs, I
think plain ol' grease will do fine (though I also recommend a few
layers of teflon plumber's tape on the BB installation for long-term
quietude).

Teflon tape should be a good anti-sieze for ti fasteners too, and
it's more likely to be in most people's toolboxes already.

Matt O.