CycleBanter.com

-   Australia (http://www.cyclebanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Ping suzij (http://www.cyclebanter.com/showthread.php?t=225855)

F Murtz[_2_] March 8th 11 01:45 PM

Ping suzij

Can you silver solder titanium?
Or how do you work with titanium frames?

John[_24_] March 9th 11 07:39 AM

Ping suzij

On 2011-03-08, F Murtz wrote:
Can you silver solder titanium?
Or how do you work with titanium frames?

I'm pretty sure titanium has to be TIG welded. It's supposed to be
pretty difficult stuff to work with.

--
John
Is it about a bicycle? - Sergeant Pluck, "The Third Policeman"

suzyj[_25_] March 9th 11 09:15 AM

Ping suzij

On Mar 9, 12:45*am, F Murtz wrote:
Can you silver solder titanium?
Or how do you work with titanium frames?

Not in any process that I'm aware of.

All the titanium frames I've ever seen have been TIG welded. Titanium
is very hard to work with, and oxidises readily when heated. So all
the welding or brazing operations that I've heard of are either done
in an inert gas (argon, as in TIG) or else in a vacuum.

I've promised myself to one day get a TIG welder, and then I plan on
playing with lots of different metals.